Fitting a group 27 battery?

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
Since I'm going to be in the market for a new battery anyway, I like to go bigger if I can do so with limited hassle in the tub on the front of the T@B. While this has come up several times on the forum, I can't seem to find any details of how it might be accomplished. I do recall a "battery bracket insert" or some such thing being mentioned a few times.

While many of you have come up with creative solutions for modifying the tub, mounting additional battery cases, or moving the battery inside, I'm not interested in those options at this time; I just want to cram a group 27 (or larger) battery box into the existing space without significant re-engineering of the camper.

Since my T@B is currently snowed in and under cover, I won't be poking around in there for a couple more months. In the meantime, I thought I'd pick your brains. Any experience or ideas you can share are most appreciated!
2015 T@B S

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The battery bracket insert is the way I'm going to go once I'm ready - Haven't dug in and done measurements, etc yet so am interested in what others have found or any pics available.
    Also interested in any Group-27 battery recommendations.
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350

My Group 27 battery in the Outback. Fits fine without any modification to the pan or back.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    The Outback tub is larger as I recall.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Outback, I have an aftermarket tub that is a wee larger than the LG one. The 27 will fit. Did you screw down the battery box so it doesn't bounce around inside the tub and what did you use (washers, stainless steel?) Probably wouldn't be hard for you.

Thanks!! You are awesome!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Ratkity - yes the plastic box is bolted to the pan. I ordered the larger battery from the dealer. It's a "dual purpose" model, so may be smaller than a real AGM deep cycle battery.
    thank you for your "awesome" comment! Memberships in the OutbackAZ Fan Club are only $25.99 per year. For that small sum you'll receive an autographed photo of my T@B.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    Butbut... the Witness Protection Program!!! You *must* be careful! ;)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Anyone have a Group-27 battery recommendation - Interstate dual purpose vs a straight deep cycle brand/model?
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    Anyone have a Group-27 battery recommendation - Interstate dual purpose vs a straight deep cycle brand/model?
    PXLated, I had a 100 Ah Interstate AGM battery last year in my Silver Shadow.  It served me well, and should last the new owners 4 to 5 years if taken care of.  Has a 4 yr warranty on it.  You can get larger batteries, too,  While you don't really need an AGM battery, they do have other Group 27 and 29 batteries, and they do have the correct boxes for them.  A helpful hint is to use a 6' ratchet strap instead of the battery strap that comes with the box.  It holds much better on some of the roads I've been on. It goes through the strap cleats that come with the box. 

I like Interstates because of the great service I received and because they do last, if taken care of.  They are nationwide, and stand behind their warranty.  My dealer even made specific length of cables for me, for a cost, of course.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Thanks Verna - Replaced my TV battery this summer and Interstate was great - friendly/knowledgeable.
  • JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Scott, Here are a couple of shots of my original battery, a interstate batt. and my new replacement, a 155 ah@ 20 hrs. Not sure what size it is but it is much larger than the interstate that came with my Outback. New battery weighs 94 lbs. but fit without modification. As you can see, it fits well even with the charge controller mounted in the box. If I had to guess I would say it is larger than a group 27. New batt. is an agm.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Thanks, all. I see from the photos and descriptions that the Outback box has a solid bottom at the bottom that the plastic boxes don't have. If I remember correctly, my battery box is held in place by a steel frame connected to the trailer frame.

Since it appears a larger battery box will physically fit, I'm hoping I can construct some sort of platform on top of (or in place of) the existing frame. Anybody done (or seen) this in a standard model? I wonder if that is the "insert" I've seen referenced a few times.

Either way, I'll give it a closer look once I get the T@B out of mothballs. If I come up with a workable solution, I'll post it here if somebody hasn't beat me to it.
    2015 T@B S
    ScottG - I have the plastic tub and plan on doing the insert - sounded like the easiest way to go.
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I replaced the original Interstate with a 150 ah AGM.  It would not fit the original battery box, and I COULD NOT find a box that would fit its height.  I did find one that fit its length and width and just have the lid held on with a strap since it is sealed and does not need to vent.  It is a Group 30 Lifeline brand and weighs 96 lbs.  Measurements are 13.46L X 6.77W X 11.96H. They shipped the sucker on a large truck and I had to meet it in town to pick it up.

The new box I ended up using did not fit the original bracket.  I screwed two pieces of treated 2 X 6 into the bracket, then screwed the new box to the wood.  I had to install it at a bit of an angle because it would not fit into the original space.  You want to be sure everything fits before installing the box because 96 lbs. is a lot to have to lift back out and move the box.  Experience talking here. :)  I also suggest drilling a couple of drain holes in the lowest part of whatever box you install to get rid of any water that might find its way into the box.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    Is the charge controller shown in the picture a standard feature on the Outback? Is it just to provide a trickle charge, full charge from shore power or just what is it's function and can it be installed on other models of T@B's? If so, where can you procure one?

Thanks, Fergie

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Fergie said:
    Is the charge controller shown in the picture a standard feature on the Outback? Is it just to provide a trickle charge, full charge from shore power or just what is it's function and can it be installed on other models of T@B's? If so, where can you procure one?

Thanks, Fergie
    It's a Renogy MPPT Solar Charge Controller installed by the owner.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

So I finally got around to tackling this project a few weeks back. Here are some photos and summary details:

The original battery box was removed, and the frame fitted with a 1" wooden insert. A new frame (sized for the larger box) was constructed and bolted through the insert and the original steel frame. Getting this frame positioned just right was the hardest part of the project, as there is not a lot of extra room in the plastic tub. Positioning was done with the new box and its lid in place.

Though probably not necessary, the new frame was fitted with 1/4" floor to shim over the bolt heads and provide a little extra support for the box.

The new box was screwed through the bottom into the 1" insert in the original frame. Note that the PVC carrier for the sewer tube needed to be repositioned about 1" toward the propane tank (though I suspect most of you could just discard this).

There are certainly other ways you could approach this. I did what I did mostly because it used stuff I already had lying around, and welding was not a DIY option for me. The important thing is that everything fits and should be plenty secure going down the road.
    2015 T@B S
  • TaBFanTaBFan Member Posts: 41
    Nice clean work Scott, take a bow.
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping. 
    Cool - Thanks for the pics ... Gonna try something similar this summer when I have a shop/tools handy.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Nice Scott, I'm always impressed with the innovations of the folks here to make things work for their individual needs! 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Thanks, all. I really just adapted RZRBUGS idea--he first assured me that the group 27 box could actually fit in the plastic tub. (Apparently the metal tubs included with the Outback are a bit more spacious.)
    2015 T@B S
    Nice! I considered the same solution with the plastic bin. Then I got the new diamond plate aluminum bin (3" more depth, height and side-to-side width). I put both 20# propane tanks in it and moved the battery to the front of the bin. I upgraded to a new group 27 battery. It's not the Outback bin, but a DeeZee aftermarket one. The electrical for the solar got cleaned up and moved. There's enough extra electrical wire on my trailer to run through the bin, a rubber grommet and to the outside battery box. I know, picts or it didn't happen! LOL. If I don't get distracted by a shiny Harley when I go outside today, I'll take some picts. 

The 2nd propane tank is an "exchange tank" and sits in a stable plastic base inside the bin next to the original tank. It doesn't rock or move, but I added an old battery box strap to attach it to the original tank. I use the spare tank for my "Little Red Campfire" and wanted to have the base stored somewhere. It's nice it has double duty of keeping the tank in place in the bin and can be taken in and out of the bin without an issue. This might change if I decide to do any long-term T@BBing and will probably use the 2nd propane tank as a complete replacement when the main tank empties at 2am when it's 30F outside, sleeting, with a -50F wind chill (a-la PXL). 

Not having to lift a group 27 battery up and out of the bin is a bonus. I can get my upper body workout with the generator in the pickup bed if I have a yen for weight lifting! 
    I believe ya', Ratkity--sounds like a great set-up! I'm signing off to head into the wind myself...
    2015 T@B S
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Nice work!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    I had 2-6 volt batteries installed inside my tub. I understand that almost triples the capacity of a 24 volt battery but I don't know how it compares to a 27. I would post a shot but I don't know how to re-size pics
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    ScottG ...Getting this frame positioned just right was the hardest part of the project, as there is not a lot of extra room in the plastic tub. Positioning was done with the new box and its lid in place...

Agree 100%.  Wish I had thought of using the new box for positioning before beginning the work.  It would have been much easier and taken less time.  Nice job.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

ScottG - What battery did you buy as a replacement?
  • Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Cbarnhill, did you put them in battery boxes, or are they "naked"?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Cbarnhill, did you put them in battery boxes, or are they "naked"? They're naked but the tub covers them. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
    edited June 2016
    PXLated said:
    ScottG - What battery did you buy as a replacement?
    Nothing fancy--an Exide Nautilus/Stowaway 105 Ah flooded cell. It's just the bigger version of what I had in there before. I figured I'd give myself a chance to kill another relatively cheap battery before plunking down the coin for an AGM.

Just got back back from four days of dry camping and the battery held up fine with just a little solar charge when I could get it.
    2015 T@B S
  • glesieutreglesieutre Member Posts: 12
    ScottG said:
    So I finally got around to tackling this project a few weeks back. Here are some photos and summary details:

The original battery box was removed, and the frame fitted with a 1" wooden insert. A new frame (sized for the larger box) was constructed and bolted through the insert and the original steel frame. Getting this frame positioned just right was the hardest part of the project, as there is not a lot of extra room in the plastic tub. 
    I wanted to thank you for the post and the photos.

I ended up doing a mod very much like yours.  Had a new frame welded, then bolted it on as above. Positioning was indeed a critical step. 

I decided to go with the Trojan "T-1275 plus" for the extra capacity (150 Ah @ 20 hours) and the lower terminals -- it fits in a NOCO Group 27 box. Maiden voyage this weekend. 

2015 T@B S-Max towed by 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R -- central Pennsylvania
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness." Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad, 1869