Options

Fitting a group 27 battery?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    @glesieutre, glad to help, and thank you for the tip on the battery. My NOCO box is a little bigger than what I need for the existing battery, so I may look into upgraded options when it's time to for a new one.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @glesieutre, how is your Trojan T-1275-Plus battery working for you?  Do you think you are getting at least 75 usable amp-hours from it?  Glad to hear it fits in that NOCO box.  Did you get the battery on Amazon, or were you able to find it locally?

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    glesieutreglesieutre Member Posts: 12
    @BrianZ -- The T-1275 is working great. I don't have a high-fidelity monitoring system, but I'll go out on a limb and say yes. We boondocked for a week in June among some trees with a lot of cloudy weather. We watched our consumption using @jkjenn's spreadsheet, and used 100W solar to charge when possible.  I don't think we dropped below 80%, so I was quite happy. 
    2015 T@B S-Max towed by 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R -- central Pennsylvania
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness." Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad, 1869
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @BrianZ -- The T-1275 is working great. I don't have a high-fidelity monitoring system, but I'll go out on a limb and say yes. We boondocked for a week in June among some trees with a lot of cloudy weather. We watched our consumption using @jkjenn's spreadsheet, and used 100W solar to charge when possible.  I don't think we dropped below 80%, so I was quite happy. 
    That's awesome! When I bought my T@b I was too overwhelmed to care about estimating power consumption but it is truly empowering to know what you have and what you use.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    ScottG said:
    PXLated said:
    ScottG - What battery did you buy as a replacement?
    Nothing fancy--an Exide Nautilus/Stowaway 105 Ah flooded cell. It's just the bigger version of what I had in there before. I figured I'd give myself a chance to kill another relatively cheap battery before plunking down the coin for an AGM.

Just got back back from four days of dry camping and the battery held up fine with just a little solar charge when I could get it.
    So ScottG, I'm curious to know if you still have this battery, or did you upgrade?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Also wondering, I read a post from the great RZRBug (wonder how booger is doing?), who I think didn't replace his bracket..  He said,"The new box I ended up using did not fit the original bracket.  I screwed two pieces of treated 2 X 6 into the bracket, then screwed the new box to the wood".  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    @TerryV6 in this thread, page 2, you'll see how @Hops used plywood on top of the bracket.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/110230#Comment_110230
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    @TerryV6, if you wanted to avoid messing with a steel frame, you might consider combining both of the last two mentioned methods, by filling the existing metal frame with a ~2x8x11" piece of treated lumber, then add a sheet of 3/4" outdoor grade plywood to support a new box.  You could use the same bolt to go through the box, both boards, then into the old frame.

I'd suggest using 2 or 3 elevator bolts, because they are very flat, and you would need to get every bit of vertical space you can inside a group 27 box if you went with a Trojan 1275 battery, for example.  Even then, you'd probably need the "plus" version with the low profile terminals.

Careful placement of the boards & box would be critical, if it could even be done, because the heads of the bolts are fairly wide & may need trimming/filing on one edge.  Or you might use carriage bolts if you could grind them flat.
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    Maybe the heads of the bolts could be sunk into the plywood so they are flush with the board?
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    True, but the box needs to be anchored.  The Noco boxes come with brackets that can be screwed down for fastening the box/strap to the board.
  • Options
    You could also screw some additional small angle brackets to the board to keep the battery box from sliding around.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    I had my dealer install a group 27 battery before I took possession. They somehow mounted the 27 bracket over the 24 bracket. Not sure how, but after two years everything is still fine! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    TerryV6 said:
    ScottG said:
    PXLated said:
    ScottG - What battery did you buy as a replacement?
    Nothing fancy--an Exide Nautilus/Stowaway 105 Ah flooded cell. It's just the bigger version of what I had in there before. I figured I'd give myself a chance to kill another relatively cheap battery before plunking down the coin for an AGM.

Just got back back from four days of dry camping and the battery held up fine with just a little solar charge when I could get it.
    So ScottG, I'm curious to know if you still have this battery, or did you upgrade?
    @TerryV6, I've completed three seasons with that first group 27 battery. It's showing its age just a bit, but I anticipate reinstalling it this year. I haven't seen the need to replace it, and when I do, I might just go with the same thing since it cost me all of $90.
    I am pretty frugal with power, and deploy my 100W solar panel full time in camp. Keeping it in the sun is sometimes a challenge on wooded sites, but it keeps up enough for what I do. I don't think I have ever had the battery below 12.3V, which may explain why it has held up so well. YMMV!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TerryV6 said:
    Also wondering, I read a post from the great RZRBug (wonder how booger is doing?), who I think didn't replace his bracket..  He said,"The new box I ended up using did not fit the original bracket.  I screwed two pieces of treated 2 X 6 into the bracket, then screwed the new box to the wood".  
    You are correct. I think RZRBUG was the first to put a larger battery in the plastic tub, as it was his post that convinced me it would fit. I took his idea a step further with the metal frame 'cause I like building stuff and had time to kill and a bunch of junk I could use lying around, but I don't know that is was necessary. As long as the battery box is secured to the new platform (however you construct it) it's not going to go anywhere.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Well, many thanks to all you pioneers whose ideas I've benefitted from!  👍 🥂
  • Options
    Well, this task was completed with minimum fuss.  I didn't build a metal frame.  Instead, I cut and fit some wood to fill and level the space in the existing frame.  I then put in the new battery case and screwed it down.  I had to remove the old hose holder, (just drilled out the two rivets.)  It did take a bit to make to cover fit properly, I cut off a smigeon (technical term) on one side of a vent.  Now I'm good to go...

Does anyone keep their old batteries or trade them in for the 10 bucks?
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Sounds good, @TerryV6! When I made this mod my original battery was toast, so gettin' ten bucks for it was a great deal!
    My current bargain basement group 27 wet cell is going on its fourth season. It still seems to be in pretty good shape, though I'll know better after the first outing. If I do decide to drop $100 for a fresh unit, I most likely will keep the old one as a backup--an idea discussed here.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks for the redirect.  I think there is nothing involved with T@bs that hasn't been discussed before... grin.

My battery choice was a bargain basement type as well...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI