Options

Best Apps for Trip Planning

xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
We have been planning our trip for the summer and would like help finding the best apps to use to locate good camp spots, dumps, free overnight camping, gas stations, boondocking- in whatever area we find ourselves. 

A video we were watching last month showed a new app that looked wonderful. It listed all of the above plus had the ability to make reservations from the app. I thought the name was something like "ICamp" or "Wecamp", but after searching for it, I realize I must have got the name wrong and cannot find it. (DH thinks I am imagining it...) :s  

The Garmin RV 890 is something we are considering because it does not use internet service. It looks like a great tool for remote areas and while traveling on the road. For planning purposes, and for times when we want up to date options in the area we are traveling, we would like to have a couple of apps. 

We appreciate your help!
mer
2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @xdr - if you are too remote, will you still get a GPS signal?  We still carry the Delorme Gazetteers.  Very good for area local navigation.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Look into "Allstays Pro" and "RV Trip Wizard."  I use both of them.  Also look at "Furkot."  I have less experience with this one but it seems good.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Ioverlander is a good app..I like it because it can work with gps..it helped us find laundry while on the road...we actually use a combination of apps besides that one...RV Parks, Allstays and good old paper maps.
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2021
    @xdr I really wish there was just one app, but instead I use a combination of iOverlander, freecampsites.net, ParkAdvisor, Campendium, Ultimate Campgrounds, WikiCamps, RoadTrippers, Google Earth, Reserve America, FreeRoam, Good Sam, KOA, Recreation.gov, TX State Parks, freedumpsites, etc.

They each have different features.  Good Sam has a convenient Open All Year filter to find winter camping, ParkAdvisor has a big database with plenty of reviews, iOverlander finds lots of free spots. You get the idea.

The iCamp / WeCamp video you saw may have been the iSpot (?) service that is scheduled to come out this summer where they charge the RV park $3 to monetize the service. The head of that new company was making the rounds of the various podcasts, blogs, and YT channels previewing his new service... and the description matches the features you listed.
    I wish this industry segment would consolidate a little so anyone can pick an area, price point, mandatory amenities, check for vacancies, see the campground pics and 3D views, and reserve spots all in one app with a great offline database for when there's no cell service. And not as an overpriced $100/year subscription, but a one-time $10-20 app purchase.

Doesn't seem likely. Instead, in 2021 there's about to be another dozen new apps and services to make finding spots even more chaotic in a way. Not for the good of RV or van dwellers, but to try and monetize the growing RV population. Several podcasting or YouTubing content creators are just pushing the apps they make money off of with click-through links, instead of realistically discussing the pros and cons of each app and the size or features of each database. And the various apps still haven't found a way to have a common database API or schema to better exchange data, share and collectively grow their databases.

It's a little disappointing, but I'm grateful that we have a lot better tools now than a decade ago.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    @xdr - if you are too remote, will you still get a GPS signal? 
    Yes. GPS requires just a good view of the sky.  Heavy tree cover can block it, as can the walls of slot canyons and the like. You don’t need to be close to civilization or any land-based equipment like a cell tower. 
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    GPS receives its signals from satellites rotating the earth, so as Charles pointed out, you need a good sky view to acquire at least three satellites to get a location fix.  Some smart phones use a combo of GPS and Cell location fix for their navigation programs.  Having a dedicated GPS is not a bad idea.  I have a small Garmin personal GPS (designed for hiking) I always carry when traveling.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ah! But don't depend too much on that GPS!
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/05/death-by-gps/

+1 to @Sharon_is_SAM's advice. Paper backup!
    ..... We still carry the Delorme Gazetteers.  Very good for area local navigation.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    As for the OP's original query, this thread might help:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/681/gps-devices-vs-cell-phone-apps
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
    xdr I think you are referring to spot2nite a new app in beta testing.  There is an interview with them on last weeks RV miles podcast.  Looks cool and you can find a spot and reserve it thru there app they say.

I have been using RV Trip Wizard and like it for planning, its linked with campground reviews.  It does a good job with mileage so we know roughly how long we are driving between stops. You can even map out gas stations like flying j/loves, dump stations ect.

I have 4 or 5 trips saved in it and can archive them after we complete each trip.  Trying to reserve and plan trips 6 months out is a challenge and fun as well I am learning.  It seems that a lot of campgrounds book out 6 months in advance as you are probably aware.  I am a newbie.    I also check out google earth, Campendium and thedyrt.com.

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited February 2021
    In the boating world, they say a GPS is good to tell you where you have been, but not where you are going.  You still need a map or chart, and a compass to navigate accurately.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @runaway30 @xdr Thank You!  Sorry I called it iSpot in my response above.  That's the one.  He said he was building up his database during alpha and beta testing, but who knows how big it will end up being.  If only 5% of all parks are willing to pay a cut of the camping fee to his service to get a premium listing in the app, how well will spot2nite cover the other 95% of all BLM, NFS, COA, NP, SP, CP, MP free or inexpensive campsites?  Time will tell.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    If everyone uses the same app, isn't that going to clog the daylights out of the "popular" places? 

What I want is an app that shows me the least searched for locations on all the other apps....and go there.  Where are the disruptors when you need them?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I never tell anyone where I’m going, but I might tell them after I left😂
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”