What is the earliest trailer manufactured by Pleasant Valley still in use?

Those great Subaru commercials prompted this question.  You know the ones "23 Million miles and still running strong." Also seeing fellow T@Bers Chris and Cathy this weekend with their seven year old T@B (still looks great).
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Tabaz , there are still Silver Shadow teardrops in use (see the Facebook page) , I see 5-wides for sale and I know of one 2012 T@B, the first year Pleasant Valley manufactured the T@B that is still in use. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Thanks Verna.  Nine years will not make a great commercial, but Chris and I had a discussion about how well-built our T@Bs are and how we plan on keeping ours for years to come (he's at seven years and I'm going on five).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • JPRolandJPRoland Member Posts: 115
    Good topic! We purchased our 320S Boondock last year after researching all trailers 22' or less. We purchased the T@B as a safe way to get to our children and grandchildren several states away during the pandemic. We chose the T@B because of design and quality workmanship. We figured it was the one that would bring the most enjoyment because of functionality and the highest value at resale. We also purchased the T@B because of the comments on this forum. You should read other manufacturer's forums. There's a lot of complaining about build quality and a lot of frustration. It's obvious after looking at posts in this forum that NuCamp owners are happier and more satisfied and there is no question that T@Bs hold their value very nicely. Trust me, I looked at lots of used ones before deciding to buy new. Well, a funny thing happened on the way to the state park. We started really enjoying camping! So much now that we have no intention of selling our T@B and we are caring for it like our pet and will probably keep it forever. I'll let you know in ten years how it's doing. My bet is, it will be doing just fine. Oh! And, we're still planning on seeing the kids sometime. 
    @JPRoland, I’ve owned a 2011 Silver Shadow teardrop (25,000 miles in two years), 2014 T@B S Max (36,000 miles in 3 years), 2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite (20,000 miles in two years). And now my 2021 T@B Boondock with 330 miles in 4 months (come on spring ‘cause I’m disappearing!) 

I’m happy with my choices. I can’t wait until this summer and some safe travels in my new 320. There is about 12” of snow sitting on her right now and I hate it. But, it’s going to have another 5” to 8” on it in the next few days.....we haven’t seen this much snow in a few years here. It’s time for spring!  Unfortunately, the groundhog was correct!
    😂😂😂😂
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • JPRolandJPRoland Member Posts: 115
    We have a 2021 Boondock 320s also and we have put 3,000 miles on it six months. We love being the smallest RV in the park. There is something friendly and unimposing about a T@B. EVERYONE has to ask about it or comment about it. We've got a very rare 10" of snow on the ground here in Little Rock and as soon as we thaw out we are headed to our kids in Houston. Have fun!
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 908
    There are certainly earlier T@Bs than ours still in use.  The signature line says it all.

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    True, @rfuss928, but those were not assembled by Pleasant Valley/nuCamp.

A bigger question is when was Pleasant Valley Trailers established, and what was the first thing they manufactured? 
    2015 T@B S
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2021
    Pleasant Valley started out making small traditional custom teardrop trailers similar to the TaG.  According to nüCamp, “In 2004, Joe was presented with the opportunity to build teardrop trailers – and a new journey began. Within one-year, Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers was officially founded, and the boutique operation moved out of Joe’s garage and into a 3,000-square-foot shop with a small team of local craftsmen.” 

This operation ended in 2006-2008?  I found two different date references here, but the custom shop closed and then reopened with their partnership with Little Guy, making thenTaB line previously offered by Dutchman, until 2009.  So PV pickup the TaB rights in 2010, with first model being the 2011 release.

Since 2008 Pleasant Valley has operated as the sole and exclusive manufacturer for Little Guy line of teardrop trailers, until that relationship ended in 2017.  

After the Little Guy relationship ended, and PV had the US rights to make the TaB line and became nüCamp, to make and market the TaBs independently with the first release in 2012 year models, which became nüCamp.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Good info, @Denny16. So now the question is what exactly was Joe building from 2004-2006/8, and are any of those original custom T@G-like teardrops still rolling around out there?

As far as Pleasant Valley T@Bs are concerned, it sounds like they started full production in 2012, though their may have been a few 2011 and maybe even 2010 prototypes. More info and links in this discussion.
    2015 T@B S
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited February 2021
    I don't know for sure, but I believe the early units were similar to the Silver Shadow. When I first started researching teardrops, I kept seeing "Yoder Toter" teardrops that look very much like the Silver Shadow's looked.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    Yoder Toters were manufactured by another company...Yoder Toter. I think they went out of business, maybe in the 2011/12/13 timeframe. 

Joe Mullet produced the Silver Shadow teardrops, first with homemade doors, later with a vendor’s side doors. Pleasant Valley produced a 4x8 SS, 5x10 with A/C (my favorite), 5x8 without A/C, and a 6x10 (rare).  

@ScottG, there is a Facebook page for Silver Shadows. They are still very popular and their resale value is good for the sellers. They are a coveted teardrop. 

There are still 4-wides, 5-wides and 6-wides on the road. They can be found mixed in with the homemades on the Teardrop FB page. 

They also produced the 4-wide (4’x8’), 5-wide and a 6-wide. 

Then....they invented the T@G. Within 6 months, the T@G was so popular, it took 85% of the teardrop production line.  It is still an extremely popular teardrop. 

The Silver Shadow design rights at one time was purchased from Joe Mullet by Little Guy. The former owner of Little Guy had refused all offers from Joe Mullet to purchase the rights from Little Guy. To date, no Silver Shadows have been produced since April 2017. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    And that is the rest of the story...
    thanks Verna.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    I thought you might have some info, Verna. Thanks!

So I guess we would need to hunt for the oldest Silver Shadow still on the road. Sound like homemade doors could be a big clue.
    2015 T@B S
  • TBullardTBullard Member Posts: 20
    Interesting comments.  Now I am confused though.  I have a 2016 that is titled as a Pleasant Valley T@B 320S, but from the history lesson, it could be a NuCamp? 
    Range Rover Sport HSE TV - Charlotte, NC
    All T@Bs and T@Gs produced from 2012 - Present were built in the Pleasant Valley Teardrop Factory. From 2012 - April 2017, they were marketed by Little Guy, From April 2017, they are marketed by nuCamp, there is a sign in the building that says "nuCamp by Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers"
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
    Little Guy destroyed the former LG forum because it was no longer related to their new Line of business. Oh, there was so much information there that cannot be recreated.😢. The photos are with the owners, just as my teardrop photos are with me. 

Another tidbit, @ScottG  is that the name “Little Guy” actually was started in Elkhart, Indiana. BUT..... be very careful buying a Little Guy teardrop from Elkhart (tag on the inside of the galley). They did not protect the bottom edges of the 3/4” plywood sides. Water infiltrated the plywood (it still much had the same exterior layer as our T@B’s), the short screws to hold the teardrop sides to the frame rusted and broke. If you looked at a 5-wide teardrop from the rear, and if the lower strip of Diamond plate sagged at the outside edges, walk away. The side walls were falling off the frame. At one time, Pleasant Valley would tear off the original cabin and put a new cabin on the frame. Less expensive than buying a brand new teardrop. Note:  those prone to water infiltration were “manufactured” by Little Guy, not Pleasant Valley Teardrop prior to 2008. 

Rear of my 2006 Elkhart Little Guy 4x8 teardrop (the seller allowed me to borrow his license plate for the drive home).

I slept a lot of nights in this 7x7 SUV tent. 

My 2006 Elkhart Little Guy 2006

My beloved 2011 Silver Shadow 5x10 with air conditioning. 25,000 miles on her in two years. Two sets of tires due to an accident. It was fun...except no bathroom or shower facilities. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    Verna said:
    Yoder Toters were manufactured by another company...Yoder Toter. I think they went out of business, maybe in the 2011/12/13 timeframe. 

Joe Mullet produced the Silver Shadow teardrops, first with homemade doors, later with a vendor’s side doors. Pleasant Valley produced a 4x8 SS, 5x10 with A/C (my favorite), 5x8 without A/C, and a 6x10 (rare).  

@ScottG, there is a Facebook page for Silver Shadows. They are still very popular and their resale value is good for the sellers. They are a coveted teardrop. 

There are still 4-wides, 5-wides and 6-wides on the road. They can be found mixed in with the homemades on the Teardrop FB page. 

They also produced the 4-wide (4’x8’), 5-wide and a 6-wide. 

Then....they invented the T@G. Within 6 months, the T@G was so popular, it took 85% of the teardrop production line.  It is still an extremely popular teardrop. 

The Silver Shadow design rights at one time was purchased from Joe Mullet by Little Guy. The former owner of Little Guy had refused all offers from Joe Mullet to purchase the rights from Little Guy. To date, no Silver Shadows have been produced since April 2017. 
    Thanks Verna! I had seen the Yoder Toter name and Silver Shadow name  put out as the same trailer. Thanks for the clarification.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL