Options

"Vinyl" covered wall re-do.

We just purchased a 2021 TAB 400 Boondock and love everything about it except the material used to cover the closet and bathroom door and wall leading up to the dinette. It's a streaked looking, brown plastic feeling covering that also doesn't match the gray cushions.  We're considering paint or wallpaper but would like to be sure it will adhere and be durable.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited February 2021
    That is not a plastic covering, but a high end gloss finish on birch plywood.  You could sand it down and paint it, put wall paper on it (I would use a vinyl type covering), or strip it back to natural birch finish, which would be the most difficult to do.  Painting would be the easiest solution.

Our TaB400 has the gray streak finish, which is satin, not gloss.  Try just lightly wet sanding the gloss overcoat down with a fine wet and dry paper, say 400 grit, and wipe it down with a satin clear finish to kill the glossy look.  This might look better to you.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    GeegeeGeegee Member Posts: 9
    Thanks so much for the info! I think taking the shine off the walls is a great idea. We will do a small area and see how it looks.  Will let you know! 
    Cheers
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Geegee, be very careful sanding the surface of the very expensive plywood. Each of the 13 plys are very thin and you will go down to the next layer with little sanding. You will also be sanding through a layer of sprayed on laquer that is chemical and petroleum based. Breathing protection is needed, and not an inexpensive face mask. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks, Verna.  We take delivery in 2 weeks , after the hitch is put on our SUV, and I think that once we move our things in and decorate, we'll view the interior a bit differently.  Since we are new to everything, we'll have so many more things to learn and so many more questions . I really appreciate your help and input.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You are very welcome, @Geegee. The more you know, the better informed you will become👍
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Good advice Verna, and something to be aware of.  The dust issue is why I suggested wet sanding with fine 400 grit paper that is not going to  sand   through the ply layers, or remove the color finish.  The ply layers are actually about 1/8th of an inch thick, so it would take a lot of aggressive sanding to go through a layer,  a grinder would, but not light finish sanding.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @Geegee - Another thing you may consider is a removable vinyl wallpaper.  It can cover the doors and wall without any damage and little work.  Reversible if you sell down the road.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    We talked about that, Sharon.  It might be a good solution. Thanks for your feedback.