Options

Road mapping

I am a newbie. Just got a 2021 T@B 320s and need to know how to plan a safe route so I don't have alot of steep grades bridges, sharp curves, etc until I am better experienced driving with a trailer. My TV is a 2017 Subaru outback with a Curt wireless brake controller which I also have to learn to use effectively. Appreciate all advise you have to offer :)
Jean

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Just take a lot of short trips around town. You will be surprised how easy it will become. Practice builds confidence. Confidence reduces stress. Then the fun begins. Happy trails.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @OliviaOtis:  Even though there are some mapping programs, and RV intended GPS systems, nothing will straighten the roads out or remove bridges.  The systems intended for RVers generally will route you away from tolls, tunnels(laws pertaining to the transport of propane inside tunnels), & height restrictions(user entered info).  Also, these systems will allow you to avoid interstates, if you prefer.  As Dale has suggested, practice makes perfect!!😅
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @OliviaOtis
    Each state has a Dept of Transportation.  Somewhere on their website they will have info about road closures.  In many states (Colorado being a good example) the also show gradients on the roads,  It is a pain if you are planning a trip through several states, and you usually have to search around to find it but the info is there somewhere.
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Another source is Mountain Directory dot com.  They offer an east and a west coast printed atlas that describes steep sections of highways.  Friends have both and we found this a great source when traveling out west. 
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The mountain grades is half the fun! How else are you going to get spectacular vistas(besides the campsite)?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Well, we use the interstates because their grades are limited.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Keep the trailer hooked up.  Carry out your daily business with towed trailer on familiar grounds.  Grocery shopping, post office, salon, errands, etc.  you’ll be doing much the same when finally “out on the road”.
    just this way you are on family grounds.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited January 2022
    Hi Jean, hate to bring negative vibes to your adventure but lots of people have issues with the Curt Wireless brake controller. There is a recent thread about it. I will find it and link to my post.  I had one and it failed (causing trailer brakes to lock up) as is the case for most people who have used it.  If it's not too late you might want to return it and get something like a Tekonsha. 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/13668/echo-brake-controller-and-grabby-brakes-question
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @GatorEgg  and @TabbyShack  This is an old thread.  The OP has not returned to the forum since July 2021.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Even though old thread, here is how I look at grades, if suspect a route might be steep. I use Google Earth. Have it plot a route between two points. Right click on the colored line it highlights the route with and view profile. A profile view showing elevation gain, loss and precent grade is shown on bottom portion of screen.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    @GatorEgg  and @TabbyShack  This is an old thread.  The OP has not returned to the forum since July 2021.  
    That’s cool, I saw, others like to read ideas.  Thanks.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 349
    We have the Curt Brake Controller also. It works fine provided everything is connected to location.

I have a tendency to keep cars for a very long time. In you case, you may consider upgrading to the Outback Onyx XT. It has a higher tow capacity. You would have more power, larger brakes and, being turbocharged, you have full power to what ever elevation the road will go. Turbo charging makes a significant difference in the mountains.

Enjoy your trailer.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    I second the book @SweetlyHome mentioned. I have used my copy of Mountain Directory West many times and have found it quite valuable.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    KatydidKatydid Member Posts: 43
    I found a great website on my cross country trip, flattestroute.com. You can put in your preferred route and it will show you all the degrees of the inclines and declines . If they are more than you want to do, it will give you the flattest route you could take.
    2021 TAB 400BD; 2015 Audi Q5
    Boston Northshore
  • Options
    SamrollseyesSamrollseyes Member Posts: 29
    I use a 2020 Outback Onyx with the Curt wireless brake system. All has been well, except when I forget to turn off the backup warning brake when backing into a spot..just know the brake really works and really fast😜
    I live at an altitude of 4800 feet and only go up from there. I find if I take my time, stay below 65 mph, tow with no water on board, and put my car in a lower gear, I have had no problems towing up or down some of the scarier passes in the area.