Options

Cassette toilet: what is this and where does it go?

I ordered a second cassette tank and it came somewhat unassembled and without any documentation. 

Any ideas what the circled part is and what it does? Screen shot from this site: https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/thetford-32326-complete-holding-tank-left-hand?gclid=CjwKCAiAmrOBBhA0EiwArn3mfKFN6f2LNCknnC5eAH1f2wvUa7-4C-n7pEphqPrj0fUI_ziDKLrv_BoC6CYQAvD_BwE

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    Hey @jkjenn that came with our second one too and we never used it (no place to use it that we could figure out) I think it’s for a different type of setup than the Tab 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Hey @jkjenn that came with our second one too and we never used it (no place to use it that we could figure out) I think it’s for a different type of setup than the Tab 🤷‍♂️
    Thank you! I didn't want to be missing an essential part and end up with an unpleasant situation!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    Ha! I had the same fear! I just assembled the second one so that it looked exactly like the first one and made sure all the knobs were turned the same way, then did a quick test with some tap water to make sure when I pulled it out all was good, it’s legit OEM from that company though, I cannot even tell which is which now 
  • Options
    They actually have different model numbers below the baroda on the back of the tank. When I opened the box, I was sure I had ordered the wrong part, because it looked taller and skinnier than I remembered. But, it fit like a glove!

• Options
    BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    Ok I have to ask... why 2?   And if one is full.. then... ??   Asking for a friend... 
  • Options
    Bclarke said:
    Ok I have to ask... why 2?   And if one is full.. then... ??   Asking for a friend... 
    Then you have a spare you can use....helpful if not near a dump station. 

Also, never hurts to have a backup.

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited February 2021
    @jkjenn and @kbdigitiqe, it is a "waterfill extension" (funnel) for adding a Thetford water additive and water.  If you received an owner's manual with your cassette toilet, or the backup cassette, it should explain how it is used and where it is stored when not being used.

See parts drawing here:  https://www.thetford.com/part/cassette-c-400/
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Bayliss said:
    @jkjenn and @kbdigitiqe, it is a "waterfill extension" (funnel) for adding a Thetford water additive and water.  If you received an owner's manual with your cassette toilet, or the backup cassette, it should explain how it is used and where it is stored when not being used.

See parts drawing here:  https://www.thetford.com/part/cassette-c-400/
    Thank you! Mystery solved- sort of. 😁

I may take another look, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how it attaches. I guess the idea is that it is used to help add tank treatment. 

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    jkjenn said:
    Hmmm. Maybe not the right choice of words when you are talking about toilets, or the business you do in them.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    jkjenn said:
    Hmmm. Maybe not the right choice of words when you are talking about toilets, or the business you do in them.  ;-)
    Fair enough 🤣

• Options
    crampshawcrampshaw Member Posts: 16
    That sort-of funnel fits into the water fill spout on the freshwater tank of the cassette toilet. I’ve never used mine but still schlep it around. 
  • Options
    CharlieBCharlieB Member Posts: 7
    I ordered a second cassette recently, and it came with a "waterfill extension funnel" too. After reading the Thetford manual and looking around online, I discovered that some Thetford cassette toilets have a "fresh water fill-spout" that you use to add water and waste treatment chemicals to the tank. The fill-spout is located in the compartment with the cassette. There's a helpful  explanation with pictures here: https://robertssales.com/articles_tutorials/cassette_toilet.html. If I'm reading the parts diagrams on the Thetford site correctly, it looks like the 402C model has the fill-spout and the 403L model doesn't - though both take the same cassette. Our Thetford - in a 2021 Tab 320S Boondock - must be the 403L because it doesn't have the fill-spout. (We pour the treatment chemicals directly into the toilet and flush them into the tank with some water.) So I'm assuming that we don't need the extension funnel. But I'll probably keep it anyway, just in case :-)

2021 T@B 320-S Boondock | 2019 4Runner | Knoxville, TN