Options

We just bought our first T@B!

Garyrr50Garyrr50 Member Posts: 17
It was definitely a “God Thing.” We live in central Oregon, and after dreaming of having a T@B for at least three years, we finally had the money to buy one, but couldn’t find one to buy! Our son emailed us this morning telling us that he had found one (a T@B 320 CS-S), but it was in Florida. We thought about driving cross-country, but decided to “bite the bullet” and order a new one from our local dealer. So we called him, and told him that we would be driving to his store to order one. When we were 15 minutes away, he called and said they had just taken a 2019 320 CS-S on consignment, and it had never been used. It was just what we wanted, and even had the Boondock Lite package! We were amazed, and so grateful to God! While we were signing the papers, three people called about it, only to be told it was sold...to us!

So I have three questions concerning what they want to sell us before we pick it up this Friday: 1) Should we buy sway bars? 2) Should we pay to have the trailer sprayed with “Super Polysteel” — $600? 3) Should we buy insurance on “Repair Care Protection” (they haven’t given us a dollar amount on this one yet)?

Thanks for your wisdom on these,
Gary
2019 320 CS-S Boondock Lite
2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Off Road
Central Oregon’s High Desert

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I don't know what "Super Polysteel" is but I don't think you need it.  Also the "Repair Care Protection" sounds like an extended warrantee.  Those are usually not worth the cost--at least in my opinion.  Others may think differently.  nuCamp has an outstanding warrantee and repair ethos.  Even outside the normal 1 year warrantee period they have repaired things that are obviously factory defects--and they seem to take a rather broad view of "factory defects."
    Both of those sound like dealer-additional-profit items.  I really think you can do without them.  Just be sure to inspect the trailer carefully before you write the check.  Take as much time as you need to do that.  Don't let them rush you.  Take pictures of anything that looks damaged or "well used."  And make the dealer give you a thorough walk through about the location and operation of all the bits and pieces on the trailer.  Unfortunately the dealer may not really know much about nuCamp equipment.  Try to get as much of the factory documentation as you can.  Manuals, etc.  This forum is a good place for questions about "how to" operate or repair or replace something.
    I would certainly question the "never been used" statement.  I immediately wonder why.  But then I am an engineer and a sceptic by nature.  Sounds like the stories about the little old lady who only drove the car to church on Sundays.
    Depending on your tow vehicle you probably don't need sway bars either.  However, some people feel that they are needed.  I suggest you tow the trailer around awhile and then decide if you need them.  Nothing bad will happen unless you feel the urgent need to tow at the speed of heat across the windswept plains of Kansas.  If you do think you are getting a bit of a wag just slow down.  That will usually ease the situation.  Also, pay attention to your load distribution.  If you load the trailer so it is light on the hitch there will be an increased tendency to sway.
    What will you be towing with?
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Congrats on new T@b.
    Lol.  Very humorous you think while managing a universe God has the interest in a T@b trailer. 🤣
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    I have towed T@Bs with a few different vehicles including in the mountains of VT and hardly even notice the trailer. I  doubt you will need sway bars. 
    I agree with the comments above, and would only suggest the dealer run all systems and verify it has been winterized with no signs of leaking. 
  • Options
    Falcon1970, thank you so much for confirming what I thought was the case on all three questions. I’ve bought over 40 used cars in my lifetime, and just bought the first one from a dealer last week. I’ve bought six used RVs and this is the first one I’ve bought from a dealer. So, needless to say I’ve gotten a heavy dose of pressure to buy add-on products and insurance coverages. I’ve quickly concluded that these are where they make much of their money. I figure that all insurance is a money-making business, where they have to take in more than they pay out. So, what you’re really buying is comfort and security. Pardon me for saying this, GatorEgg, but I find comfort and security in a God who has clearly shown himself to have created us because he wanted to show and share his love with us.

The vehicle we just bought last week, and the one we will be towing our trailer with is a 2017 Toyota Tacoma 4wd TRD Off Road.

The dealership is detailing the trailer this week, and told us to plan on a one hour walk-through when we come to pick it up. They told us to come with our phone fully-charged so we can take videos of the walk-through orientation. It sounds very thorough to me. WafaringStrangers, thanks for the suggestion to make sure the trailer has been winterized. I’ve winterized hundreds of houses, but am not too familiar with winterizing an R.V. Now that I live in the high desert, I will need to become proficient at that. Is 35 lbs a safe pressure to blow out the water lines?

Thanks again to all of you for your input,
    Gary
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, 35 or even 40 psi will work to blow out the water lines.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Garyrr50, welcome and congratulations on your trailer! Water and air pressure in the lines always below 50 psi. Most of us just wash and a few also wax the trailer. Some cover their trailer and some do not. Sounds like you have a conscientious dealer. Most won't advise you to record the walk through in case they forget something. This one at least appears to want to cover the bases and that's good to hear. Best wishes, enjoy the adventure and happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thanks dragonsdofly. So, I should have a pressure-reducing fitting when I hook up to water.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Garyrr50, yes, absolutely. That and an EMS surge protector before power comes into the t@b.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    scottincarmelscottincarmel Member Posts: 29
    I think the short (and best) answer to all 3 of your questions is “no”.
    2021 T@B 320S-BD
    2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    Carmel, IN
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited February 2021
    Congrats on the new T@B @Garyrr50 and best of luck in your travels.
    We hope to be joining you as a bona fide T@B owner when our 320 BD, ordered last August, is delivered [hopefully] next month.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    edited February 2021
    @Garyrr50, no, no, and no. With your luck you don't need all that extra insurance!  :-)
    2015 T@B S