Options

Backing up

Comments

• Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Well I finally had the chance to take the new T@b to a big, empty parking lot so that I could practice trying to back up. What a frustrating experience. I spent about an hour and think I did learn a few things. Primarily I found out that you can only achieve a small degree of turn with the T@b before it gets away from you and starts to jack-knife. Using my side view mirrors I find that I should only make very small adjustments of the steering wheel to start the T@b turning in the correct direction, then almost immediately start to try to straighten out. I hope I will get better at this, since once I got home and thought I understood the basics of backing up I tried to just back up relatively straight to be next to my garage. I ended up pulling forward multiple times and trying to back up safely, and after many tries I ended up approximately where I wanted the T@b to be. I told my wife that had I had the chance to try this before we bought the T@b I might never had bought it, or any travel trailer. I've been driving cars and motorcycles for a very long time and was very humbled by how tough it is to just back up this little camper. We are hoping to make our first foray with the T@b in the next several days, and I am limiting myself to a KOA campground when and where I can get a reservation for a pull through, full hook-up camp site. Maybe I can learn to live the RV life without backing up at all!
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Vito, it goes faster if you have help telling you which way to go. That being said, I am a solo camper and someone only offers to help about 35% of the time.

You do start to get a feel for it. It isn't muscle memory, but it reminds me of it as at some point it clicks and you get more efficient. I think they key is to have to do it several times within a couple of weeks. My skills will lapse some after long breaks from doing it, but they return after doing it 1-2, again.

The longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up because your adjustments can be larger. The T@b is so much easier than the short little M416 trailer that I had. My brother, who towed trailers for years even had trouble with that one.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Stick with it - It'll all fall into place.
    You're right though that small little adjustments is the key ... slow-n-small.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Practice backing in a straight line until your zig zagging is almost completely eliminated. At least 100 yards or more next to a curb is best it will keep you on track.  
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Based on someone's suggestion on this wonderful forum, I took a u-haul for a couple of hours a few weeks ago and practiced for a few hours. I know, not a T@B, but the guy at the rv storage place (where I'll be parking my T@B) had some single axle uhauls on his lot and kindly let me use one. He set up cones for me and just gave me some tips from time-to-time. I was equally humbled by the experience as it was a lot harder than I remember (40 years ago with a 27' TT) --- I knew the smaller ones would react a lot quicker. Although I still have a long way to go to feel comfortable that few hours was invaluable to at least get the feel. The biggest key I took away from it was don't be hesitant to pull forward (a lot!). The RV guy said once you've started to jack knife, better just to go forward as they're much harder to straighten out while continuing backward.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited July 2015
    It is a big help if you just relax and don't let yourself get anxious about the backing in as you get closer to the campground.  I found it worked best for me to look forward to The challenge and learning and getting better rather than dreading the campground parking experience.
  • Options
    Rad said:
    It is a big help if you just relax and don't let yourself get anxious about the backing in as you get closer to the campground.  I found it worked best for me to look forward to challenge and learning and getting better rather than dreading the campgroung parking experience.

And if you don't expect to nail it the first time and expect it to take a few minutes. It is a difference mindset. We are all  used to backing into parking spots the first time.  Backing up a small travel trailer isn't the same. When it's all said and done, you should be done backing up within 5 minutes. That really is not too bad.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I know a lot of people recommend having someone else there to guide you but that all depends on that guidance. I've watched total disasters happen because of the guide.
    Practicing getting a good straight line is the most useful as far as my experience.
    Slow & Easy - Practice makes perfect.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2015
    This works well and agree, get out and check the site out well, do a walk around and estimate distances/objects in close proximity, etc.  You're better safe than sorry!   

https://youtu.be/RLtfrBWzNCw
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I agree with PX.  If my wife helps me, I ask her to limit communication to "STOP" in the event I am going to get in trouble/hit something.  I'm better off looking for myself, even if I have to stop and get out.  I have a friend (not the driver) who said getting a backup camera saved their relationship.

I took some advice from here and quit worrying about hitting it the first try.  When I decided to just keep working it until I had it right and was willing to make as many tries as I had to, things improved rapidly.  Now I often surprise myself by nailing it so quickly. 
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    PXLated said:
    I know a lot of people recommend having someone else there to guide you but that all depends on that guidance. I've watched total disasters happen because of the guide.
    Practicing getting a good straight line is the most useful as far as my experience.
    I'm not a big fan of guiding help other than to know when to stop.  The right or left thing I can judge with my mirriors, it really is just knowing how far back I can go without hitting that big rock you can't see with either mirror.   :o
  • Options
    Rad said:
    PXLated said:
    I'm not a big fan of guiding help other than to know when to stop.  The right or left thing I can judge with my mirriors, it really is just knowing how far back I can go without hitting that big rock you can't see with either mirror.   :o

Yeah, I prefer the "stop" help, too. I HATE it when people won't use hand signals and insist on telling you which way to "cut your wheels" I know how to back up - I just need someone to act as the T@b's rear view mirror.

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I, too, practiced with a U-Haul this afternoon. Total failure on my part. The "scoop" didn't work worth a darn. During my practice session, my dealer called to give me an update, he said that the T@B will be easier to back than the U-Haul. I certainly hope that he is right! When I took it home and tried my driveway, the scene was not pretty. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    We all feel the pain - Most of us have been there - it will get better, just slow, easy, and small adjustments. I still say the best training is just to try to back up straight, nothin fancy. It gives a feel for just how small your adjustments need to be. Once you get it down you'll be able to do backing "S" curves and backing into a campsite will be child's play.
    About the only time I get myself into trouble now is if I get impatient and rush it.
  • Options
    Went out for the second time to practice. Thanks to all who advised going slow and easy, and to try backing up straight. After a half hour of trying to back up straight across about 50 to 75 yards of parking lot, and getting better at it, I headed home. With only a few times pulling forward I was able to back the T@b right to where I want it to be when not in use. I still hope to find pull through spots at RV parks once we actually get on the road, but I'm not as intimidated as I was a few days ago. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2015
    Hey Vito - practice does work but just in case, it is pretty easy to just swing the camper around or move it a few feet by hand. That's how we turned our T@b sideways the other week
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options

2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Nothing forces you to back up well then being starting up the wrong road with no place to turn around. :)

The GPS led me astray when I went to enter the campground in Taylor Canyon last summer and I was a few hundred yards up a narrow, steep dirt road before I realized it. I had no alternative but to back down.

Vito, I am glad to hear that you stuck with it.

• Options
    Vito - Cool. Before ya know it you'll be an ace.

bgualtieri - That swing around only works easily if you're on a nice paved pad - soft gravel or dirt, not so well unless you're the hulk and can lift the tongue ;-)

Jenn - Yep, nothin like a narrow dead end to make you learn how to back up. My longest so far is about 3-4 city blocks till I could back it in to a field entrance.
  • Options
    Being more like a little old lady than like the Hulk, and being a boondocking wuss, it's working for me so far. I am trying to improve my deadlift but I'm pretty sure I can't lift the tongue yet!!
  • Options
    Don't try - Backs are a terrible thing to lay waste to.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    kybob said:
    I, too, practiced with a U-Haul this afternoon. Total failure on my part. The "scoop" didn't work worth a darn. During my practice session, my dealer called to give me an update, he said that the T@B will be easier to back than the U-Haul. I certainly hope that he is right! When I took it home and tried my driveway, the scene was not pretty. 
    The scoop DOES work if you take your time, swoop low into the entrance, proceed ahead slowly and cut the wheel hard in the opposite direction or in forming an "S" of sorts with the tow vehicle and trailer at the end of this task.  That's the key!  Once you make that last turn the rear of the trailer points back into the space you will be backing into.....  Another thing you can do is place both hands on the bottom of the steering wheel and turn the wheel in the direction you'd like the trailer to go.  

When backing any trailer "slow & easy" is best.  The larger the trailer the easier that backing is.  Try backing up a Little Guy trailer and you'll learn quickly how incremental movement of the steering wheel equates out in directional movement of the trailer.   =)

It does take time, practice and persistence and as some folks have done, find a remote location in large parking area in a mall and practice backing the trailer up into a parking spot.  With time and as you travel you can't help but improve your backing skills as otherwise you'll be the center of attention and your new found campground friends will congregate at your site and be offering up assistance.  
  • Options
    We never called it the "swoop" but we truckdrivers have used that approach to backing for ever. Also when ever possible make your approach with your parking spot on your left. The right side approach is called the blind side for a reason.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Agree...  The scoop does work if performed properly.   These are tried and true age old techniques that have been used by many people and with practice can make backing much easier. 
  • Options
    To get into my backyard I have to go through a narrow alley. I can't use the scoop there (no room to scoop) but have found it helpful when I use it.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The scoop definitely works for my driveway.  Two lane city street, 20' wide, 75' long driveway.  Come from the west, scoop towards the north side of the street, pull almost into Brent's driveway on the southside of the street to straighten it up, then put my hands on the bottom of the steering wheel and move in the direction I want the T@B to move.  Tonight was so much smoother than with the SS.  I never realized how much easier the T@B was to back up as compared to the Silver Shadow.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    When I was "practicing" backing up, I tried to not even think about which way to turn the steering wheel of my car, but just look at the side view mirrors and move the wheel in small increments by feel, i.e., what seemed right. I have quickly learned that once the angle between the trailer and the car is more than a small amount it is too late to correct itself and I have to pull forward and start again. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    Vito  Now your getting it. Just keep practicing you be a pro before you know it.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    twocutes said:
    Mouseketab - Which Purple Line model do you have?  Anything you don't like about it?
    I bought the Enduro model. I absolutely LOVE IT!!! So far have had absolutely no issues whatsoever. FYI, poke around ebay. That's where I bought it. They had it listed for 999 on ebay and a "best offer" button. I offered $899 and they accepted immediately.

I noticed you have a LG T@B. You will have to do some drilling on the frame for the mounting brackets. I have Dutchman T@B with Al-Ko frame, so after fabricating some spacers, mine was completely bolt on.

It is absolutely the best thing I got for the T@B. Today, I got new tires. Backed the truck to the gate. Engaged the rollers, backed the trailer out of the backyard garage using a button, spun it around and drove it to the truck. Hitched up, disengaged the rollers, and off to the tire place.

Since I didn't have any other camping supplies to unload from the truck, just pulled up in the driveway. Engaged the rollers, disconnected the trailer and drove her with a button back to her garage.

The day I installed the mover, was leaving on a camping trip, got there late and in the dark. Instead of trying to back into the site uphill and in the dark, I pulled into the campsite. Used the mover to "drive" the camper to where I wanted it (sideways on the site), then turned only the truck around and back in front of the camper.

I have a pretty unique awning that I set up for longer trips (a 10x20 EZ Up actually goes over the camper). I set up the EZ UP, prop the front legs of the EZ Up on some bins, and use the remote to put the camper under the awning.

Having said that, I will have to go back under the trailer and adjust the distance of the rollers from the new tires, but that is pretty minimal.

It has never run my battery down, but then again, I only use it to hitch up, put the trailer back in the garage, or park it at a campground. The trailer stays plugged up at home, I have a charge line while driving, and I don't boondock, so my instances of using it, I always have a fully charged battery.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    FuzzyYanniFuzzyYanni Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2016
    I think what messes most people up is the perceived fulcrum point being the hitch - which it isn't. The fulcrum point is the tires. Once I understood that it was easier. Still I also purchased the Enduro from Purple Line on ebay - "open box" was $600 + 75 shipping, they accepted $550. I have yet to install it but our driveway is terrible and I can't be bothered to be sweating every time I try to park it. 
    "I know one thing, I know nothing."