Options

2018 320 cs-s Norcold is powered, but not cold

So, it was cold, freezer cold, on the way to the camping.  While there, uh-oh, not so much.  We did have a little cooler with ice, and it was a one-nighter.  BUT, dealers in the area are booked for two months, thanks to the Snow-birds.  What options are people doing when these little but costly fridges die or no longer cool.  It seems the space is limited to a stand up unit.  Has anyone been able to remove the fridge maybe to get it to a dealer for a check up.  One dealer said $149 an hour, and it would take an hour to diagnose.  To me, it takes me 5 seconds to know it is not cool.  Looking for solutions and so appreciative.  Mark

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    First I would try to figure out why it is not cooling. Maybe--if you are lucky--there is a simple solution.

What model fridge? Two-way or three-way? How were you powering it while on the road and while in the campground?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
    Two way, and powered by 12-v while in transit, and on shore power at the campsite.  Has power to it, so not that.  Green light back right corner by the thermostat dial.  
  • Options
    Sorry, can't help much with the two-ways, as I am unfamiliar wth those models. If you are sure it is getting power it certainly sounds like the fridge is the issue. Good luck and please follow up when and if your get it figure out. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    How hot is the weather where you are towing?  There have been reports of the Norcolds in the CSS not keeping up.  There is a thread here that outlined adding ventilation to the galley area.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Hello there.  The weather in my opinion was not a factor.  The freezer section was simply not cold at all.  The internal simply did not feel cool at all.  It was in the 80's during the day, and into the upper 60s at night.  Simply not cool at all.  I did feel cool air coming out the bottom to the front of the unit.  I ordered a thermostat to see if that was an easy fix, since Pintoplumber did one on his to fix it.  For 33. worth a shot.  It is only a 2018 trailer, so you would have expected a longer life especially when not used daily each year.  Other than fixing or buying another, I guess the only other option is a standalone fridge-freezer option.  Thank you.
  • Options
    So back at home and have her plugged in.  Powered her up and fridge now has the freezer getting very cold.  Will keep it powered overnight to see in the am.  Thermostat?
  • Options
    Went back out and fridge was very cold. I am stumped.  I turned it off with dial.  I turned off battery cutoff.  Will experiment again tomorrow
  • Options
    PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    Before mine failed, it was on constantly. Couldn’t turn it off. Then the next time we camped it didn’t work at all.
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @Lawyerboy, you did say CS-S in your subject line, so I should have known up front it was a two-way.

Not a bad idea to try the thermostat. While I'm not familiar with two-way camper fridges, I have repaired a couple malfunctioning household fridges. In one case, a $7 thermostat did the trick. In another, a switch mechanism on the compressor was apparently sticking and dissembling/reassembling did the trick.

It's frustrating how such expensive appliances are typically laid low by some foolishly cheap electronic component. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thank you.  All good.  New thermostat comes by end of week, and always love a project using my hands, as it beats desk work all week.  Worth a shot to rule out things.  Take care and hoping for the best.  Learned a lesson always, which is bring a cooler with a bigger size and more ice than I need, because a good scout is always prepared.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    @Lawyerboy, did the thermostat replacement fix your fridge on 12V problem?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Morning.  We have no problems since.   Ty