Options

Paint Cracking

The paint or finish on the open shelving and cubbies above the dinette is cracking in my new 2021 - 400 BD. Are any 400owners having this problem? When I had my 400 serviced for warranty issues recently, my dealer said I should contact NuCamp directly about the paint cracking. I plan to contact NuCamp but I first wanted to reach out to other owners to see if they were having the same issue.

2021 T@B 400BDL Solar, 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel Diesel

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2021
    Looks like the plywood was not sealed properly,with a sealer designed for plywood.  Plywood top layer creeps, causing the top finish to move a crack.  The substrate ply is moving more than the thin paint film, resulting in the cracks.  

I had the same issue with some fir marine ply cabin sides, the interior paint finish cracked during the weather humidity change.  We had to resend it, re-seal and spray two new top coats, sanding between to get the yacht quality finish the owner wanted. 
    That said, spraying in a close space was a pain, had to rig a big exhaust fan.  

However, nüCamp pre-sprays the finish in a booth before the cabinets are out in.  Only repair option is going to be to resend with 180 to cut the loose cracking paint film, then use 220 and apply a plywood sealer, which penetrates into the bare ply exposed by sanding (if no bare ply, skip the sealer), then use a good sanding primer, you can brush this in, followed by 220 sanding and a new top coat of paint, with some retarder, like penetrol added to the top cost paint, this will let the paint flow out and smooth brush marks, giving a sprayed on look to the finish. 

Good luck.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    edited March 2021
    @TAOSMAC - a warranty claim should be processed through your dealer.  If you prefer to do the work, then you can arrange for that.  But, the dealer should initiate the claim.  You can follow up with nuCamp warranty via email.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TAOSMACTAOSMAC Member Posts: 27
    My dealer said they couldn’t help me because they don’t have the expertise in their shop to complete the repairs and recommended that I contact NuCamp. Today, I filed a claim directly with NuCamp. Hopefully, NuCamp will take care of the problem because I fear the cracking will only get worse over time.
  • Options
    NuCamp accepted my warranty claim and sent me replacement painted wood panels. I can either install the panels myself or make a request for the dealer to install. I was pleased with NuCamp’s quick response and hopefully the paint problem is solved on the new panels.
  • Options
    Here is another update on my paint cracking issue. I just noticed that the white paint on the cabinet doors below the kitchen sink are also cracking. I will submit another warranty claim to NuCamp. 
  • Options
    KatydidKatydid Member Posts: 43
    I have had similar cracking on the cabinet doors below the sink. Thank you for posting this, it didn’t occur to me to report it to NuCamp.
    2021 TAB 400BD; 2015 Audi Q5
    Boston Northshore