Victron BMV 712 Install and AIMS Inverter Issue

Hello Everyone. I have a 2020 T@B 400, and installed a Victron BMV 712 Battery Monitor yesterday, which is working nicely.

When I turned my battery and shore power back on, the AIMS Power 1200 Watt Inverter was no longer providing power to any of the outlets it usually powers (bathroom, cubby, and one in the dinette), and it's power button, in the charging station area, did not light back up. 

All other systems in the camper are functioning well. 

I did not make any changes at all to the wiring for the inverter. I connected the negative battery terminal cable to the battery only side of the shunt and added a 4 AWG cable from the distribution block to the load side of the shunt.

The AIMS Inverter has a 150-amp fuse, which is fine, and a 15-amp KLD twist-off fuse in the back, which I checked, but am not sure how to tell if it is blown (I don't have any experience with this type of fuse).

Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas?

2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
2014 Range Rover Sport
Charlotte, NC

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I don't have a factory inverter and can't tell from the photo where wiring attaches to Inverter or battery for that matter. My guess is you aren't getting power to inverter after changing the negative wire path. Everything, including the negative lead of the inverter has to be connected to load side of shunt, in other words every drop of power has to pass though shunt for accurate battery usage info. I would recheck your wiring before getting too involved in inverter itself. Use a multimeter to check for power at the input leads of the inverter.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Check the remote switch wire cable where it connects to the inverter, it may have come loose.  Also check that the fuse on the red inverter connection has not come loose or blown.  Third, the circuit breaker under the air hose looks like it has tripped?
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • LeavesOfGrassLeavesOfGrass Member Posts: 5
    It definitely seems like the inverter has no power. I'm at a campground now, and do not have a multimeter in my kit, but I'll probably resolve that this afternoon.

Not everything can reach the shunt's load post, so I used the distribution stud seen in this photo as a junction.

The inverter's negative lead now goes directly to the shunt as does a 4 AWG able from the junction. It seems to me that all the negative connections are passing through the load side of the shunt (bottom post).

The top post on the shunt, the battery only side, is the battery terminal cable. Nothing else is connected to the battery's negative post.
    2014 Range Rover Sport
    Charlotte, NC
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @LeavesOfGrass - Denny pointed out that the circuit breaker in the first photo looks like it has tripped.  The bright yellow button under the large black hose.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    So admittedly, @Denny16 and @Sharon_is_SAM, I don't know what the GLOSO Breaker does. I thought that it is not currently in the tripped position.

I thought this the next photo is the tripped position:

2014 Range Rover Sport
    Charlotte, NC
    edited March 2021
    May bad, yes the second photo is the tripped position.  The first photo shows mortal on position.  
    I just tired my Inverter switch, and realized it need a hard push to turn on.  Try pushing the switch hard, past the first click sound, and the inverter light should come on?
    Cheers
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @LeavesOfGrass - that is a 40 amp circuit breaker to protect your battery.  You are correct - it is not tripped.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2021
    Tripping this breaker disconnects the battery from the TaB, same as turning off the battery switch.  It can get bumped easily, so if batrerynpiwer is not working, this is the first thing to check, along with the battery switch.
    cheers
    Got this resolved this morning. Thanks to everyone that helped me trouble-shoot.

The problem wasn't any of the negative cables I had re-wired for the Victron's shunt, it was the wiring on one of the positive cables, the one going from the distribution hub to 150-amp fuse for the inverter, the cable had come undone from it's lug and it was still hid behind the lug cover (not sure how that happened since it should have been tightly crimped). I had just eyed that one and not tested it, since I had not messed with the positive cables. 

Very simple and I should have deduced that, but I was sure it was my wiring that was the culprit!
    2014 Range Rover Sport
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes, I should have suggested checking the positive connections.  My 2018 TaB had some poorly crimped cables from the battery to the inverter fuse.
    cheers