2021 Tab 400 AC in Florida

How does the 2021 Tab 400 air conditioning do in south Florida in the summer?
2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited June 2021
    It should work the same as the 2018/2019 TaB 400, they all share the same AC (edit: Cool Cat), It was the 2020 model,that had a smaller AC (Air8) that did not work as well I. Hot climates in the 400.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • AustinatosAustinatos Member Posts: 2
    My understanding is that the AC unit (ours is also a 2021 Tab 400) will struggle to do any better than 20 degrees difference than outside temp. So keep that in mind. (Keep blinds closed during day, add extra reflectance between window and blinds...). We got ours and did first trip to Mt Dora in late Sept 2020, so not the depths of summer, but it worked well enough.
    2021 Tab 400, Nissan Frontier, Gainesville, FL
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It depends on which air conditioner your have in your 2021 T@B 400. If you have the Cool cat under the driver’s side front bench, you will have no problem cooling the 400. 

If you have the Air8 A/C unit, please search the forum for information about this unit. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited June 2021
    Verna OK, the OP has a 2021 Tab 400, so they have the Cool Cat.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Denny, please read their descriptions again. @rrcbov has a 2021, as does @Austinados. Then read my statement above:  Verna said:
    It depends on which air conditioner your have in your 2021 T@B 400. If you have the Cool cat under the driver’s side front bench, you will have no problem cooling the 400. 

If you have the Air8 A/C unit, please search the forum for information about this unit. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited June 2021
    My understanding is that the AC unit (ours is also a 2021 Tab 400) will struggle to do any better than 20 degrees difference than outside temp. So keep that in mind. (Keep blinds closed during day, add extra reflectance between window and blinds...). We got ours and did first trip to Mt Dora in late Sept 2020, so not the depths of summer, but it worked well enough.
    While this is absolutely a true statement relevant to virtually all residential and RV air conditioners, it is imperative to remember that your "ambient" is the air inside the RV (or structure). In homes and RV's, the air is recirculated so you are not taking in outside air continuously. What this means is as long as you sufficient capacity (BTU's) you will be able to continue to lower the temperature by 20 degrees over "inlet temperature" until you reach the maximum cooling capacity of the air conditioner. In the case of an RV, this is typically where the thermal load exceeds the ability for the air conditioner's output. 

In other words, if you have a Coolcat which is rated at 10,500 BTU (located under driver's side bench as per Verna's reply) you will have more than enough BTU's to make it very comfortable. One of the posters here in NC has said many times in his posts that with his 2021 he can take a mid 90's high humidity day and have it in the low 70's inside the camper in 15 to 30 minutes. 

Hope this helps everyone!

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    edited June 2021
    I’ve found that the temperature at floor level to be 20+ degrees lower that 6 feet up in direct Florida sunlight.   I’ve been trying to use the ceiling fan to help even things out - haven’t found the balance yet.  I like the openness of the Tab so have yet to resort to closing all the shades.

Also, the vent to the bed area isn’t working out well - freezes one side of my face.   I’m thinking about rerouting the ducting and vent to the cubby below the refrigerator and adding a 12V fan above the cubby in the bed area.  I tried a vent with a damper but it’s kinda noisy.

Looking forward to some trips where I’m working with the Alde rather than the CoolCat!
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida