Options

120 Volt Outlet Question

I came across this line in my manual for the TAB S manual "When on 12V battery power only, everything works normally except the 120V outlets and appliances. "  What exactly does this mean?  Which appliances won't work?  

I obviously know nothing about electricity.  If my 120V outlets don't work what won't I be able to run?

Karm

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    All of your appliances except the A/C and microwave are wired to run on 12v - that is either directly off the battery or as supplied by the converter that “converts” 120v to 12v power.

The 30 amp plug supplies 120v power to the TaB that enters the converter to power the 12v appliances AND it is wired directly to the 120v outlets (GFCI outlet, ALDE outlet, microwave outlet, etc).  

So, if you Boondock and use only your battery for power, you can not plug into the regular 120v outlets to run anything off those outlets.  So microwave and A/C only when on shorepower or a generator.  An inverter will allow you to run some 120v items off your battery.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    KarmKarm Member Posts: 18
    Thanks, Sharon.  I assume computers and cell phones charge off the 12 v outlets?

karm
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Karm said:
    Thanks, Sharon.  I assume computers and cell phones charge off the 12 v outlets?

karm
    Yes, if you computer or cell phone have a usb or 12v auto style charging adapter.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    4ncar, do I have to modify one of my 12V outlets to be able to charge my phones and computers?

karm
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited March 2021
    Your phones will charge with the same type of chargers you can buy for  your car 12v outlets.  (A "12V outlet" used to be called a "cigarette lighter plug!")  There are many 12V devices that can be powered from those 12V outlets.  Next time you are in a truck stop, take a walk through the "Accessories" section.  There are a ton of little things that run off 12V "battery" power.
    I have a laptop that I can run off a 12V power adapter designed for the laptop. If you can find one for your particular model, it will simplify charging and laptop use, and be more efficient.   You have to pay attention to how much power your laptop might use: mine uses about 4 amp hours (per hour)...and will deplete my battery in 8 hours or so, if I'm not charging the trailer's battery.
    The other way to power small devices (small meaning less than about 150 watts) is with an "inverter" that can plug into the 12V outlets.  Inverters are very handy...but they use power to make the "jump" from 12V battery power to 110V household type power. So, again....pay attention to how many amps per hour you may be using. I use my small inverters for charging of all sorts of little toys: camera batteries, etc.  Inverters are routinely maligned for being "inefficient", but carefully used, they may be the only method to charge or use a device.
    Here are examples of the phone "socket" chargers:
    And examples of "small" inverters.  Note they have 12V plugs that can be plugged into the trailer's 12V outlets.  The ordinary household type plugs can then be used to plug devices in.

Remember: small devices only!  You will start blowing fuses when you try to plug a device that approaches 180 watts!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Karm - when we are on shorepower, we charge our phones/iPads while plugged into the 120v outlet, otherwise, we use the 12v plug adapter as pthomas745 noted.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks all for your help.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    In addition to the "cigarette lighter plugs" you should also have 12V USB plugs that eliminate the need for an adapter.
    2015 T@B S

• Options