Options

Pin size hole in plumbing plastic connector

I have a pin size hold (literally) in a plastic hose connector in my plumbing. I am away on a trip and temporarily applied silicone and waterproof/high pressure tape. It's working for now.  Any other recommendations to get me through the next two days?

I wish I could attach a picture.

Beenie

Comments

• Options
    BeenieBeenie Member Posts: 21
  • Options
    I was able to change my profile pic!
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited March 2021
    Short term - definitely shut off the city water supply if you're using that and maybe fill your holding tank instead. I cannot speak to whether the temp fix will hold so you may want to only use your pump when necessary, then open a tap to relieve the pressure, rinse/repeat and keep an eye on things.
    A couple of options come to mind if you need to fix this before you can get to the dealer while you're on the road...
    If you're close to civilization a plumber might be able to fix it for you, heck they might even travel out to you?
    Depending on how handy you are, you might want to invest in a pex cutter, crimper, a bit of pex line and some fittings, locking rings etc. and some youtube how-to help to have on hand. I learned how to do pex plumbing on the road after our water filter housing cracked and it's not rocket science.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    It may seem counterintuitive but the simple fix is going to be installing a small self tapping screw in the pin hole. These are available at any hardware store. Drill a small pilot hole to keep the screw from splitting the fitting. Goop it with a very small amount of plastic weld before threading it in. This fix should last forever. Always try to avoid using anything with silicon in it for repairs. It has a way of keeping adhesives from bonding.....
  • Options

Thank you Rhyno. I do have all of the pex fittings and tubing, etc. I can certainly give that a try.

Holding tank makes sense!

Beenie
  • Options
    Hi tabiphile,

Your recommendation makes a lot of sense....I sailed in my prime and use the corking technique more than I'd like to remember. Once on a 5 day ocean trip!

Thanks for the tip on silicone.

Beenie
  • Options
    I'm a newbie to nucamp - if I fill the holding tank and run the pump, will that allow me to run the Alde heating?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    Assuming you have been running the Alde, no reason that using the fresh water tank would prevent you from using the Alde.  Have you been using the Alde to heat water?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    No I haven't. I did a blow out to winterize only. I've been using a small electric heater because I wasn't sure if alde needed water to use. But it appears I can run the alde since it uses glycol to heat. Sorry for being such a newbie...Let me make sure I understand. If I use fresh water tank, I need to have the pump on to run water and need to have the alde on to have hot water and heat. Do I keep the pump on all the time or just when I'm going to use water?

Maybe simple questions are refreshing? No pun intended.....
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    So, if you are beyond the risk of a freeze, fill your fresh water tank, turn on the pump, open a hot water tap and let it run until it stops sputtering - then you will know the Alde water tank is full. (Using the city water connection to fill the Alde hot water tank is faster.) In general, don’t walk away from your campsite with the pump (or spigot with city water) turned on.  You don’t ever want to return to a wet trailer.  Some owners leave the pump turned on while at the campsite, others turn it on when needed.  

After you fill your Alde hot water tank, turn on the Alde to heat the cabin (if necessary) and the water.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thank you Sharon! This has been very helpful!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    You can use the Alde without water in it, just turn off the hot water option on the control panel.  
    I would recommend using a stainless steel screw for you repair.  A better fix would be to use a product like Splash Zone which will cure under water and is used to fix leaks on oil rigs and it should seal a small hole in your pipe fitting.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks, Denny16! I've actually ordered the flair it connector to replace after my trip!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    That is the best solution, just replace the bad fitting.  Everything lose is a bandaid.  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options