Options

Hooking Solar to Dual Batteries?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    @Jax0913 from what Victron and Renogy recommend, you should have a fuse between the solar panels and the MPPT controller and another fuse between the controller and battery.  I have 200 watt panels setups, so I used 30-amp fuses.  Thst said, I am thinking of replacing the fuses with some marine 12VDC circuit breakers that I have from a boat project.  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,283
    edited August 2021
    Denny16 said:
    ... from what Victron and Renogy recommend, you should have a fuse between the solar panels and the MPPT controller and another fuse between the controller and battery ...
    I have (but will be returning) a Renogy 100W Suitcase with a controller onboard. There is no fuse between the panels and the controller, but they do have a fuse at the battery connection. On the other hand, there is a fuse between the panels on my T@B and the Victron controller, and another fuse between the Victron controller and the battery. This along with a 20amp fuse is built into the Victron controller. I don't see this on-board fuse on the Renogy Voyager controller.
    So, which is correct? Is the T@B / Victron installation overkill or does Renogy fail to meet fusing requirements?
    edit to also ask:
    If I add a second battery in parallel by running 8awg between the two batteries, do I need a fuse between them?
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    To your second question, you do not need a second fuse between the batteries, only on the positive lead from the controller.

As to the Renogy set up, I can only assume that their experts know what they are doing, and I haven’t seen any complaints or reports of issues.
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
    I ended up putting fuses between both positives from the batteries to my controllers. Thanks for the help! 
    2018 T@B 400
    2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab