Options

2018 T@B 320 CS-S Flooring when not replaced?

I have used 2018 T@B 320 CS-S that was manufactured 12/2017, so it has the defective Green Core floor. The result is that the floor is bubbling. Since it was bought used from a private seller, it is not covered by warranty. 
It would be expensive to have it repaired and I'm not sure it would be worth it. So what are the long term effects if I leave it "as-is"?

Patrick & Jackie Callahan
2018 T@B 320 CS-S

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I would contact NuCamp’s warranty department and ask them what the best course of action would be. If it is in fact inferior materials they may be willing to work with you to solve the problem. After all it is still their product and reputation.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    I agree.  This is a known failure of materials.  Don’t assume they will rule out covered replacement.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2021
    Our TaB400 (Jan 2018) was part of this group, we had purchased it from the original owner directly, and nüCamp repaired the floor under warranty.  That said, the repair is not a complete floor replacement, but a partial removal of the top Greencore layer in the walkways and under galley cabinet.  The Toilet /shower is not removed, nor are the bunk/seaside benches, but the feints are removed to allow the end gear of the new Azdel panel and new top flooring layers to be fitted under the cabinets, which are sealed into the Greencore to prevent water leaking into the edges.  

I would give nüCamp Warranty service a call and provide photos of the damaged floor.  The labor to repair the floor is around $1,500-2,000 (plus materials) if you paid to have it done.
    Cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @paddyo You asked "so what are the long term effects if I leave it 'as-is'?"

Not sure if any of us are qualified to say, but then again we may have a dozen material science engineers on the forum with twenty years of experience in laminated composites. I'm always surprised how many rocket scientists, virologists, brain surgeons, etc. we have here who love their T@Bs.

Would the bubbles continue to expand and shift in time depending on how frequently the camper is used, and how many temperature changes it goes through... until the top layer is only semi-loosely held in place around the edges where it meets cabinets or door thresholds?  Maybe.

In that case, while more difficult to trade in, could you just put down a rug or two, or some nice Berber carpeting cut to fit? Or vinyl planks? Or commercial composite planks? Or a heavier hardwood? And enjoy it another 10 years? Maybe.

Would the top layer or two delaminating so reduce the structural integrity of the floor that the trailer rips apart on a particularly big pothole at 60mph? Seems unlikely. Would you step into the camper next year, and your foot goes right through the floor? Also seems unlikely.

The nature of the fix being executed, where only a partial floor replacement is done, leads one to think there's little risk of delamination around other edges associated with floor penetrations or where it connects to the walls (with the worry of moisture intrusion and rot). Or at least that's a much longer term risk, as everything falls apart eventually.

So my uneducated guess would be if NüCamp doesn't repair it free, and you don't find another shop to do it for $1-5k... the top layer would be a bit more unsightly in time, and a little less stable to walk on if you don't put down a new covering. Otherwise no effects in the next few years.  But that's just a hunch, and you should get several more opinions.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @Denny16 - any guesses if they replace the top layer of Greencore with wood?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    No Sharon, I asked nüCamp this question when the new wood subfloor issue came up.  They are still repairing the Greencore floor, by removing the Greencore in the walkway middle area of the trailer and gluing two layers one of Azdel and another moisture proof barrier material, followed by replacing the top Lino floor with the same material they used originally.  This is how our TaB400 was repaired.  Once done, you have a new looking floor and you can not tell the difference.

As for not repairing the floor, then Lino floor covering will just continue to delaminate from the Greencore, small bulges will turn into long waves, and feel softer walking on it.  Otherwise, should not cause any real structural damage, just cosmetic.  The Lino floor covering they used in 2018 is a marine deck covering material, water proof and stain resistant.  It is fairly tough stuff.
    cheers

• Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    To chime in here... I also have a 2018 T@B 320S built in this time frame. I only recently heard about this issue and so I contacted nuCamp to ask about it. At the time, there was no sign of any bubbling up, but there is now. I bought my T@B used from Tom's Camperland in Surprise, AZ. I don't go back to them for any repairs or maintenance since they don't seem to be on top of things when it comes to these campers.
    I just sent Abbie an update telling her my floor is starting to bubble and that I wanted to know if I can schedule getting it repaired. Below is the last message I received prior to the bubbling.

Reenie,

Yes, your camper does have green core floor, however not all green core floors had an issue.. If an issue ever were to occur nuCamp would take care of the floor. If there is no bubbling or warping of the floor then it very well will be fine and no problem arise. 

Thank you,

2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    You need to take a few photos showing the floor separation (bubbling), and send them to nüCamp to start the floor replacement.  Since you are in the West coast, a nüCamp TaB dealer will do the probably repair.  Ours was repaired by Vogel RV In Ukiah CA, which has a very experienced repair department.  There is also a good TaB dealer in SanDiego.  This is not a one day repair, and takes about a week or two to complete.
    Cheers 
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    I also have a '18 CS-S with a bubbling floor. I've talked with NuCamp, they are willing to do the repair. They were discussing removing everything down to the deck, making the repair and reassembling the trailer. We are planning on doing that in a couple of years when we need the Alde fluid replaced.

Yes, the bubbles move around. We place a piece of carpet in front of the "dresser" to make it less lumpy. The floor is solid. It's mostly aggravating when you sweep it out after a trip.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Has anyone had their delaminated flooring replaced elsewhere other than a drive to Sugarcreek, OH to have it done? It's a 4000 mile round trip from Phoenix, AZ to Sugarcreek, OH. Between the price of gas, the amount of miles I'd have to put on my car and the T@B, it might be more reasonable to get it fixed locally, if possible, or if there's another way to get my T@B to the factory without me having to take 2 weeks out of my life (time, money and effort) to do it. Anyone?
    Oh, and one more thing... I'm told it will be replaced with the same ugly grey linoleum that's in it now; no choices for anything else is what they tell me if I get it done at the factory.
  • Options
    Dennie, correct, nüCamp replaces the floor area with same OEM lino originally used.  You do not need to have nüCamp do the replacement in Sugarcreek, we had ours done by a local nüCamp dealer, whose technician helped develop,this floor repair.  Ask nüCamp for the dealer nearest to you that can do and will the work to repair the floor.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    @Denny16 I thought this was a possibility at one point... thank you!! I will definitely make the call.