Options

Which way have you found best for sleeping in a Tab 320s. Non-CS

GeorgiaMBGeorgiaMB Member Posts: 33
edited March 2021 in Tips & Tricks
The bed is almost square for a 2021 Tab 320, and we were just curious as to what percentage of folks slept which direction. I’m trying to convince my husband that there is not one right way!  Thanks for your input!
2021 T@B Boondock 320S | 2021 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 

Which way have you found best for sleeping in a Tab 320s. Non-CS 49 votes

Wheel to Wheel
16%
VernaChanWDalehelmandragonsdoflySamrollseyesDougHAnOldURThatJakePerry 8 votes
Head under Cabinets
38%
LibrarydragonScottGgulfarealinoTerryV6pacmanGatorEgg4ncarDougWWBaylissJackie_DaveSubaruLouMarkAltrimtabMikeDawn265rcarlson1957VMI_85SereneCampingBobandJoan 19 votes
Feet under Cabinets
24%
MrHowey95mrdeepfryguykbdigitiqeJabGopherMellow_Yellowann_from_pacorunnerTommyBoyBclarkeShunyunscott14Maxcamp8 12 votes
Two twins
20%
Geowebers3SLAMTBullardJPN5657mntrailsdruthazerfstop32Okpetecreamburmese 10 votes

Comments

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,278
    edited March 2021
    Wheel to Wheel
    Wheel to Wheel with a small mod. :o

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    SereneCampingSereneCamping Member Posts: 16
    Head under Cabinets
    Because the bed is almost square it comes down to the size (height) of the people and for us, most importantly, not having to crawl over the other person for those nighttime bathroom visits. We are head under cabinet sleepers, but we also sleep with the cabinet doors open to prevent the possibility of catching the edge of the door when making that nighttime pee trip. This is what works for us. Good luck!
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock “Serenity”
    2020 Honda Passport
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Wheel to Wheel
    W2W because when winter camping you want to be close to that warm back wall. And I don't have to repeatedly convert the dinette to a bed.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Head under Cabinets
    In our 2018 320 we slept head under cabinets, with me at 5’11” on trailer door side.  So my feet could hang off the bed.  On bath side I would kick the bathroom wall.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Wheel to Wheel
    It’s so easy to grab two sleeping bags, a pillow and a self inflating mattress pad from behind the sofa. Then lay the sofa back down, inflate the mattress, roll out the sleeping bags, put the dogs on their black sleeping bag and get into mine. Of course, one dog thinks my red sleeping bag is to be shared with her!

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited March 2021
    Wheel to Wheel
    When we had the boys, the husband and 2 of them looked like strips of bacon, arranged head to feet to head to feet, sleeping wheel to wheel. Due to heart failure, I slept sitting up, cross legged, with my back against the wall between the window and the door. Now that the boys are gone, the husband has his choice of where and how, but still sleeps in the familiar wheel to wheel position. And, I'm still sitting cross legged with my back against the wall.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    edited March 2021
    Two twins
    Twin bed with mod of removing the rear cabinets - no crawling out of bed or over each other or banging your head.  Swing your legs out and get up - easy peasy. . .
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Head under Cabinets
    Good poll question! For me, one of the selling features of the T@B was the front-to-back sleeping arrangement.

I do think the distinction between couples and solo travelers is important. When I camp solo (very infrequent) I sleep wheel to wheel along the back wall and leave the side benches set up.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited March 2021
    @dragonsdofly Sorry to hear you have to sleep sitting up :( I do think W2W will be our most comfortable position, but my husband BARELY fits at 5'10".  I should've added a "diagonal" option! 

All the head-knocking stories scare me a little!  I do like the idea of keeping the cabinets open if we try head under cabinets - thanks for that suggestion, @SereneCamping

• Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    Two twins
    We do two twins w/heads under the cabs.  If you have to get up for a "midnight stroll" your feet hit the floor and away you go.  I built a table that has fold up wings and it swings around to become a bedside table.  Also having that extra floor space available let's us throw a pad on the floor in front of the fridge for Patsy the German Shepherd.  If we lost that floor space where the table usually is there'd be no floor space! 8^D
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Feet under Cabinets
    As a new T@B owner, still figuring this one out... At 5'10", I also do not fit wheel to wheel. Another factor is that I have a pacemaker and need to stay away from the Alde's electromagnetic field. But as the weather warms up, the Alde is off at night anyway, so perhaps this will become a non-issue. I'm very close to upgrading the foam cushions to see if better foam would solve the issue of needing the bulky "mattress topper". I would love to sleep owith my head under the cabinets, but I have almost given myself a goose egg by smacking my head on the cabinets while still sleepy. So far, the best sleep was diagonal, feet over the Alde, but then there's the annoying light that comes through the fan opening...
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    We just took delivery of our T@B, and are in the process of figuring out the sleeping arrangements.
    The current front runner is a dual twin bed-like arrangement in which the slats from each side are pulled partially out (8"), leaving about 8" between each twin. This requires an additional 8" foam insert, as well as two 31" mattress toppers and I think we both will sleep with heads toward the front. Our 35 lb Welshie should be able to find a comfortable spot at the rear, between our feet, curled up under the overhead cabinet.
    We plan to do a driveway dry-run of this arrangement, with jury-rigged cushions and sleeping bags as a proof -of-concept before shelling out the bucks for the real equipment.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    Feet under Cabinets
    I'm right at 6'0" so that precludes the side-to-side. We've experimented with both head and feet under the cabinets.

Ultimately, 1 factor forced us into feet-under-cabinet : the cushioning on the bench portions above the A/C and Alde systems are noticeably firmer and in the head-under-cabinet configuration, it was an uncomfortable bulge that felt like it was arching my back up. Even with a 3" memory foam topper, it was annoying enough. 

It's not too much of an issue when our feet are under the cabinet. Yes, it does make the nighttime potty breaks less convenient as I look like a drunken break dancer from the '80's spinning on my butt to swing my legs around ... lucky for my wife, only I have to deal with it (damn, prolonged happy hours!) as she never seems to need one.
    2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500
  • Options
    @JabGopher  We had the exact same feeling about the cushions arching your back! Glad to know it was not just our unit. My husband is 5’10 so he just barely fits wheel to wheel. With our first trip this weekend, I’m sure we will be experimenting!
  • Options
    markandgloriamarkandgloria Member Posts: 2
    Leaving leaving room between us for the service dog to snuggle in (75lb. Standard poodle).
  • Options
    TommyBoyTommyBoy Member Posts: 8
    Feet under Cabinets
    We just got our Tab320S, and slept the first night with heads under the cabinets.  I actually got claustrophobic and had to go out in the middle of a cold windy night for some fresh air!  I thought, "oh no, what have we done by buying this?  I can't even sleep in it?"  The next night, we switched it around and slept with feet under the cabinets.  This was the trick for me, and I had no problems.  Whew, what a relief.  haha
    Tommy
    2021 Subaru Outback XT
    2021 T@B 320s Boondock
  • Options
    I really appreciate everyone’s participation in the survey. We went out for two nights this past weekend… Night one we slept head under cabinets, and I was petrified that I was going to wake up in the middle of the night and knock  myself out. Plus the whole extra firm cushion in the back thing.  I did not love it...  night 2 was wheel to wheel, and while my husband barely fits, even he had to agree it was much more comfortable. He did a bit of a diagonal and I was cozy over the Alde!  Thanks again!