Options

Wondering ... How many Owners purchased a NuCamp Camper because of their commitment to Quality?

JimbrookoverJimbrookover Member Posts: 2
Most Advertising of the TAB series is focused on the Quality of the product. 

Wondering ... How many Owners purchased a NuCamp Camper because of their commitment to Quality? 40 votes

I find the product quality acceptable
52% 21 votes
I have found the company is willing to correct problems
47% 19 votes

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Jimbrookover, we have found both facets of your inquiry to be true. The build quality far exceeds anything else out there, and nüCamp corrects problems. After our warranty expired and we had reported 2 minor problems to Pleasant Valley (precursor to nüCamp) we found that each of the taillights were leaking during slow drizzles or snow meltoff. Employees came to take care of the sticky door lock and sink problem while at üCamp17 and seeing the waterleak stains immediately repaired the problem. It wasn't on our warranty repair list, but they fixed it anyway, at no charge. While everyone's experience may not be exactly the same, we can say they go above and beyond.

Btw, welcome to the forum.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 26
    Yes, you need the option of selecting both responses, and perhaps a third on dealer satisfaction.  
    For us, we chose nüCamp for their build quality, and found out about their outstanding customer service after our purchase.  We had two issues fixed (one major and one minor) under the three year structural warranty after the initial one year warranty had expired.  Dealer service where we live has been grand.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I bought my tab, because everything else I saw was junk!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Initially purchased because of the superior build quality. Continue to enjoy the trailer because of the outstanding customer support from nuCamp.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    Does anyone know if nucamp is certified to any international quality standard, such as ISO 9001? For those not familiar with quality standards, here is a brief definition:

The standard is used by organizations to demonstrate their ability to consistently provide products and services that meet customer and regulatory requirements and to demonstrate continuous improvement.

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Jimbrookover - Welcome to the forum!  Are you a current owner?  TaB owner with a quality issue?  Your poll is unusual for a first post😁
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    I can't really answer either way. I knew nothing about T@Bs in particular or campers in general. I just knew that funny little thing was exactly what I wanted and I'd deal with problems when and if they arose.

Fortunately, the reputation for quality has held true in my case, as I am headed into my seventh trouble-free season with my 2015.

Okay, I'd better say "knock on wood" just to be safe...  :-)  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Scott - your “Knock on Wood” pleading to the forces that be is hereby acknowledged. You are now guaranteed another seven years of trouble-free ownership.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I believe nüCamp conforms to RIVA standards.  Also, I believe ISO standards are more of a factory process certification, than a specific product standard.
    cheers

• Options
    Denny16 said:
    I believe nüCamp conforms to RIVA standards.  Also, I believe ISO standards are more of a factory certification, than a specific product standard.
    cheers

ISO 9001 is a quality management systems standard for manufacturing products. It monitors all of a company’s processes and procedures to help assure that the organization is manufacturing and shipping a quality product. It is the foundation of a basic quality system. Being certified to this standard shows the commitment of a company to producing a quality product and standing behind it.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I am familiar with ISO-9001, as my company was based in the Washington, DC area and our interaction with all things Global here.  On a cursory level, as to what I saw (over the 27 years we were in operation), is that the ISO program was utilized by Fed contractors as well as NGOs and large(r) INTERNATIONAL organizations who produced a product or provided a service.

In my opinion, and in my view, the ISO quality standard is just stating the obvious(Provide a quality product while following a certain level of standards & procedures).  The process of certification is long, painful & costly; on the hope & prayer it will pay off with additional contracts that are written to require ISO certification.  Its the same way I feel(felt) about a GSA schedule...spend $25,000.00 to produce a pricing schedule with the hope & prayer that the Fed will buy from you..

I grew & ran a business (that allowed me to retire at 55) in the DC area solely on the principles of, "do the right thing," "produce a quality product," " the customer is always right," & "charge a fair price."  I didn't need any other organization to tell me what quality is or was; I already knew...common sense. 

It's possible that NuCamp sees things similarly, and the cost of admission is weighty and that they feel they have already attained a QOS & QOP level.🤷🏻‍♂️

just my 2cents.
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    edited March 2021
    I worked at a large electronics company that was ISO9001, and it's a real farce at the working level, I'll say that much.  There are a few "experts" within the company that set policy, but when it comes to audit time, it was always a mad scramble to find a project that was sufficiently "auditable" to meet the certification's standards.  So we basically lived non ISO for most of the year and then tried to make it look like we were compliant for the audits.  In addition to that, while ISO makes sure you have processes in place and ensure continuous improvement, it absolutely does not stop you from producing an absolute piece of junk and selling it.

Back to the main topic though - we bought nuCamp for the design, quality, and support.  With our new 400, although we haven't yet dewinterized and tested everything, we haven't had any trouble at all (unless you count the under-fridge door rubbing against the rail a bit) so we are happy for now!

Also +1 to the guys at Platinum RV in Erin, ON for a very thorough check/PDI of the unit once it's received - they actually dewinterize it once received from nuCamp, check all the plumbing and functions, then rewinterize it before handing it off to the final customer. 
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I didn’t know about the quality when we bought in 2015. We just loved the trailer inside and out. Although we have had only one issue it was not with NuCamp. It was with the chassis manufacturer. Both stepped up to the plate. Dealers on the other hand some are good and some are poor. Unfortunately manufacturers have very little control if they want their products out there. I usually don’t expect much from the dealer once I drive off the lot, and I am rarely disappointed. If they do come through when needed that’s a bonus.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Anyone who completely understands ISO knows that conformance only requires you to document your process and follow what you document. An ISO audit measures your ability to follow that documented process. It does nothing to insure quality from that context although the premise for the certification is that the process that you document would result in a quality product. Auditors rarely have any industry or product knowledge. They simply follow the trail to confirm compliance. Many companies use the ISO certification process as an opportunity to try and reinvent their process with the intention of self-improvement and in doing so outline process they do not follow. That takes them down a rathole of non-compliance and complicates the certification process. Many companies have had to abandon their certification efforts and start over. In the end, it's say what you do, do what you say, even if it's wrong or build lousy product.... 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @4ncar & @TomCanada: I agree with most of your comments concerning ISO 9001. It is costly and a pain in the butt to achieve. I worked for a company that was held to an even stricter standard called IATF 16949. This is a standard that is required by the automotive industry. It has all the requirements of ISO 9001 plus many added requirements dictated by the automobile companies. Unfortunately, if you wanted to do business with them you were required to achieve and maintain this certification. It’s their game, so you have to play by their rules. I can totally attest to nucamp’s quality. I own a T@B. I was just curious whether nucamp went above and beyond and was certified to any known standards.

I once attended a quality seminar where we were asked to write down our definition of quality. One person summed it up quite nicely. 
    “Good quality is when your customer returns and your product doesn’t.”
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @Lil_Lucy: I like your associate’s quote. I agree whole heartedly! 

I would add, what I would tell my clients and more importantly my Forman & PMs: we all make mistakes, it’s  what we do about them. Nucamp illustrates what I meant by this.
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    I so agree with 4ncar.  nuCamp exemplifies his understanding of building a wonderful product absent an amorphous government requirement to do so.  
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    I’ll be honest. I got sucked into the eye candy first. 6 years later, I appreciate the NuCamp commitment to quality and outstanding service. 

Jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    We liked the design and quality when we saw the 400 and after researching the company decided that the product and company matched the type of standards we require for purchases this magnitude.  
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 539
    I purchased our 2018 400 after owning an RPod 171. Similar size but light years apart in design, quality of materials and build quality.  After almost 3 years of ownership, 25k miles traveled and 150+ nights, my appreciation for the quality has only increased. The only thing that has exceeded the build quality is NuCamp’s commitment to support. I have needed some things resolved over time and NuCamp has come through every time. To be able to speak to knowledgeable staff is a pleasure. 
    In the lobby in Sugarcreek there is a sign which speaks volumes to what NuCamp is.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    DNL2021DNL2021 Member Posts: 8
    My wife and I have a 2021 320 and have been spoiled with the quality and design. Our opinion is, there is nothing out there in the US that compares to the build and attention to detail. The trailers are Northward on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for. If we ever want to go larger, its going to be tough, so for now, we love our white noise sleep cocoon and it checks all the boxes. 
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    We bought ours because they don't use particle board and staples (like 98% of the competition does).

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    We bought ours after owning a forest river popup camper. That was our first insight into how horrible RV builds are. So going from that to Nucamp was a compete 180. 

While we did have numerous craftsmanship issues with the cabinets and other things, ultimately our 400 has done well these past two seasons. Major things like the Alde and electrical have been rock solid. The only major issue we had to correct was the brake lines rubbing on the tire…potentially a catastrophic issue that still bothers me. BUT Nucamp’s customer service is unmatched. I spent hours correcting many of the issues myself and Nucamp literally cut me a check based off my time. I don’t think any other company is going to do that. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 539
    We bought our 2018 400 after owning a used RPod for six months. The RPod was my first camper and an expensive crash course in repairing floors/subfloors, poor workmanship and the most inexpensive construction along with rebuilding a water heater and replacing an air conditioner. When touring a 400, I was blown away by the difference in quality and construction and it was readily apparent that NuCamp’s design was determined by engineers instead of Forest River’s accountants. The use of the best available materials and appliances make our camping experience what it should be. 
    After 4.5 years, over 35,000 miles traveled through 48 states and three Provinces, I am still as happy with my choice to dump the ordinary and upgrade to NuCamp. 

2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Dennis, I agree with your comments.  We too looked at the RPod and walked away, after seeing the poor construction quality.  I previously (many years ago) had a Kenskill, which was also a top quality build using birch and hardwood floors (no plywood in floor), and this trailer was my previous benchmark.  

We also got a 2018 TaB400, and the quality of construction and the Alde heating system were our main reasons, aside from the compact size, for choosing this trailer.  We looked at Airstream, but the smaller trailers we looked at only offered forced air heating.  So nüCamp and the YaB came out the winner!
  • Options
    Michael_GodshallMichael_Godshall Member Posts: 21
    Hello Friends, 
    I what responses to this post might have looked like if it had been worded differently.  
    For example, if it were written:  

What model year is your NuCamp trailer?    
    Product Quality      Poor    1,  3,  5     Excellent  
    Customer Service    Poor    1,  3,  5,   Excellent

We could then look at the data and determine if there are any correlations.  
    We review the comments and apply a weighting scale to key words.  
    This would enable us to objectively look at the data.

If you think you can see where I am going with this, super, stick with me.  I will try to make my point quickly.    

When we look at the build quality from 2020 - 2021, we have to take into consideration the entire world was under a great deal of stress.   We have to ask ourselves and the quality of our own output, regardless of what field we work in.  And then we have to look at the quality of comparative industries and trades during this time period.      

For us, the build quality from NuCamp has been outstanding.  
    We have a 2022 T@B 320S Boondock. 
    Product Quality    5
    Customer Service     5

Have we ever had issues?  Absolutely.   The fresh water tank overflow hose came off the top of the tank.    A root cause analysis was done.  The tank is engineered to equally distribute the weight over the axles. The hole in the floor through which the the hose passes was too tight and possibly because we traveled with full tanks it may have contributed to the stress.   But when it failed, it failed well - no water came inside the trailer it stayed in the underside.  The repair was handled very well.   

This brings me to an important point, the dealership you work with is an extremely important element of the equation.  We have worked with Miller's Trailer Sales in southeast Pennsylvania.  Of course, NuCamp needs to do their part in educating their dealers and sharing experiences when things don't go as expected.    

Over the arch of time they have been building T@B trailers the focus has always been on quality, and the community has rallied around the brand.  This organic growth of community is a testimony to the quality, freedom of expression, personalization of our T@B's, and support from NuCamp, and the recognition from others.    Tell me it doesn't feel good when someone admires your T@B and wants to know more about it.  

Michael Godshall
    Holland PA
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    TV: 2018 F150
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    edited January 28
    Planned on switching to a tiny camper and sold our motorhome during the pandemic in early Spring of '21 for way more than we would have gotten for it in normal times. Was looking at Scamps, T@Bs and the like but nothing new was available. Scamp was a 24 month wait at the time and the T@B was a year. Tab was more but seemed better built.
    The luck of the draw came when someone that had ordered a T@B and waited a year backed out of the sale when they went to pick it up as it was too small for their use and upsized to something larger. I had looked at it just before they were picking it up and told the local T@B dealer I couldn't wait for an order but if anything came up to call me. He did. Just the right place at the right time. I figured I'd go the whole season without finding anything.
    I did a lot of modifications to get it exactly the way I wanted it and am happy with the quality of everything I have torn apart and put back together.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    We got ours a few years after seeing one at the Dallas RV Show and just loved the design...was unlike anything else out there. The quality seemed much better too. 4 1/2 yrs and 75,000 miles later on our 2018 320S we're still very happy with it. My only wish is they made the 320CS a little longer. Would love to have one where the bed is long as the 320S and I could sleep back to front like do now and have the front just be clothes drawers with a counter top. Would be perfect for us. Really like the idea of my whole kitchen in a clamshell in the back. If weather was bad, I could always just pull out a portable induction plate for the counter. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 988
    I keep looking at other trailers to try and find something to replace our 400.  So far I have not found it! We love ours and the quality/support.  But I do hope NuCamp brings back a T@da style trailer just a hair bigger than the 400 with a nice dry bath. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    We bought our new 2018 320 BD back in ‘19 due to outstanding price, appeared quality built and mostly, wife thought it was “so cute”.  It worked for us, building our appreciation in build quality and outstanding customer service.  During Covid we started looking bigger.  Walking the Airstream lots.   Actually buying a larger different brand trailer while keeping our “Boonie” tucked in our garage.  We stayed away from a 400 due to numerous posted quality control issues.  And gave NuCamp time to sort things out.  We recently jumped back in, selling the 320 and purchased a ‘22 400 BD.  In first couple days we found multiple quality control issues and missing parts.  But the outstanding customer service, parts and warranty team folks are sorting them out.
    We’re excited to see how the 400 takes us through the years.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.