Options

Convert cover to add-on room?

When I bought my new 320-S I bought the awning which goes into the keder rail, as well as the full cover. I use the awning, but sometimes which I had bought the add-on room instead. As for the cover, I have never used it or even taken it out of the bag. 

It occured to be this morning that the cover might, with some modifications, be adapted to make either an add-on room or in the alternative, a kitchen tent. 

To use as an add-on room, one would need to remove one side, and added a seam that could go into the keder rail. One might also want to add a mesh window next to the door. One wojuld also want to buy some sections of tent poll and sew on tabs or loops inside, or make a seam to insert and build a frame’ for one side, and maybe some sections across from the outside to the inside. And taking it even further, one might want to add a floor etc to keep out flies, but I am not thinking that far ahead. 

To use as a stand-alone kitchen tent, the only things required would be some mesh to make windws for light and venting, and an interior frame for tent poles.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has done this, or feedback on the ideas above. In a perfect world I would swap the cover for an add-on room, but I live in Newfoundland...very few tabs, and expensive mail options. But maybe...

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,505
    https://pahaque.com/collections/trailer-shades

PahaQue Custom sells both a solid front wall and a mesh front wall for their awning.  This may be an easier route for you.  Then sell the cover!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    Thanks for feedback, yes, that would be easier option. I suspect the cost would work out to more, i.e. taking loss on the cover I have and shipping from here to potential buyer. And my current awning would need need modifications as it predates the manufacturing of the front wall and mesh front...
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,505
    It never hurts to ask.  List your cover to trade for a tent here on the forum.  You may be surprised!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,434
    Interesting suggestion, @Derico. I don't know of anyone tackling this, but I think it's a plausible idea--though one that would require quite a bit of creative fabrication as well as a heavy-duty sewing machine as both the cover and the keder cord you would be attaching to it are pretty thick. You'd probably also have to sew in some strategically placed heavy loops for stakes, tie downs, and support rods.

Of course, if you are crafty enough to do all that you could also likely modify your existing awning to accept a front panel and skirting. We (and by "we" I mean DW...) did something along that line to be able to use our awning as a passible screen room during bug season. The awning, of course, is much lighter weight--an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your needs.

Hope all is well up in NL. I'm looking forward to hearing about whatever solution you come up with! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    When we bought our used T@b last year it came with a "2nd room" tent extension which the prev owner had bought.  It is designed to slide into the keder rail and stake out on the opposite side.  I've used it whenever it looked like rain was going to be part of our experience.  Our german shepherd & I wake up very early and the wife is a light sleeper so the porch becomes our early morning spot regardless of weather.  We carry a 2 burner stove with us and that lets us keep the cooking smells and the extra moisture out of the camper. Set up and break down can be a bit tiresome but it gives me and the dog a spot to get some early morning time and the wife can wake up to the smell of coffee brewing (without the noise) so it's a win win.
    I'm sure you can find similar options online.  They will give you ideas on how you might want to customize your cover.  I know you can find the keder cord online because I've been cooking up some custom ideas ever since we got ours!  For me building something is half the fun!

We found NL to be a beautiful place!  We took a vacation to PEI in 2018 for a really extended family reunion and we took the ferry to NL for a day.  We'd love to go back sometime, maybe with T@b in tow 8^)
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    Thanks all for feedback. Re NL, visitors welcome (when things open up I guess.) Would love to see a bunch of tabs show up here some day.  We have only seen a handful in the 5 years we have owned our’s. For those who want a taste of  the scenery,  click here. :)  And if you want to move here, bonus: apart from a 5 week shutdown this year and last March when all this started, we have been essentially open (all last summer and fall, through Christmas) and again now, with very few cases of COVID. 
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    Not exactly on the original topic of this thread, but NL and the Maritmes are first on the visit list for us in our new 320 BD, once the C-19 restrictions are lifted of course. Already checked off the provinces contiguous with the US, but still have those plus the Yukon, NWT and Nunavut to go  . . .
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country