Options

tire storage

tonitoni Member Posts: 46
I have a 2017 TAB Q Max.  the spare tire is stored under the body at the back of the trailer.  We took it out of that location at one point and usually stick it in the truck bed when we go camping.  My question is:  Is there a easy way to mount it and remove it again, easily?  (Easily being the operative word).  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Getting the tire off from that mount is challenge enough--most owners remove it once and then mount it somewhere else.   :-)

I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone describe a method (easy or otherwise) for putting it back on... 

If I was inclined to try it (which I'm not) I might try lifting it back into position with my motorcycle/ATV jack. Any chance you have one of those lying around? 
    Pro-Lift Motorcycle Jack  Hydraulic  1500 lb T-2152
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @toni - there is no easy way to replace the tire.  The under carriage bracket bolts can rust and freeze up making it very difficult to access the tire when most needed.  Most owners find it easier to either mount the tire on the tongue, store it inside the TaB or in the TV.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    markandgloriamarkandgloria Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    tonitoni Member Posts: 46
    Thanks, I have seen that.  What about the weight distribution?  W have things currently in the truck bed and trailer.  We are planning to get a toyota Sienna with a tow prep package and use that for towing our teardrop in the future.  Will that be too much weight between the back end of the car and on the front of the trailer.  the Sienna has a 3,500 lb towing capability with the tow prep. package.  Thanks.
  • Options
    @toni - it really depends on what else you plan to put on the front frame of the TaB.  We have a 96# battery in place of the stock group 24 battery that only weighs about 45#.  We remove the seats in our Sienna and put the TaB spare in the rear driver side seat boot.  We place some cargo in the TaB over the axle and the remainder in the Sienna.  Our tongue weight is around 250# or less.  Take a look at the Sienna payload and remember to deduct the tongue weight from the payload weight.  
  • Options
    GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) includes tongue weight.  GVWR - maximum before trailer is attached.

What model Jeep do you have?  The specs that I find are: 
    GVWR - 4900#
    GCWR - 6029#
    Curb Wt. - 3879#
    Tow capacity - 2000#
    Payload of 1000# (before deducting tongue weight if towing)

GCWR 6029# - Tab 2000# = 4029# - Jeep Curb wt 3879# = 150# payload
    I could only find Jeep’s with a 3500# tow capacity that had a 8000+# GCWR.
    @gulfarea towed with a Jeep, but had a very limited payload.

Here are the specs:  https://rockchucksummit.com/jeep-wrangler-towing-capacity-jku/

The other issue that the link addressed is the trailer frontal area limit is 25 sq feet.  I think you need to subtract the frontal area of the Jeep from the TaB.

It still looks like you will easily exceed a safe towing margin.  

• Options
    d4amigosd4amigos Member Posts: 10
    I was able to get the tire remounted in the original spot by lowering the T@B front to it's lowest and using a hydraulic jack to raise the tire into position. Was able to do it in my carport, don't think that would work on the road.