Options

Lithium upgrade

I've just pulled out the last lead acid battery I'll ever own out of my 2018 Tab 320. I'm going Lithium. After what I've read on the forum, I'm buying the Battle Born 100AH. I don't like leaving that investment behind the plastic storage box. Does anyone have experience with moving the battery location inside? The research I've done leads me to believe that an inside installation is ok. I don't see any issue running new wire. I'm considering placing it under the left side couch near the electric panel if there's enough room. Any advice is appreciated.
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 door and a 2018 Tab 320 clamshell.

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Congrats!  As you've read, a new converter is needed too, if wiring it similar to the standard battery wiring. I still have AGMs, and put them in the rear passenger side storage in an attempt to balance the left right weight of the T@B. Not a factor with a single BB battery. Not sure you'll find room near the panel though.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Moving the battery inside near the power converter is a good idea, it gets the battery in a warm space, and eliminates the wiring from the tub to the converter.  You will need to connect the emergency brake connection to the new battery.  Then wire the battery through the cutoff switch (I would relocate this also near the battery), then to the converter connections, with no AWG. 8 wire, and Bob’s your uncle...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Marktab320cssMarktab320css Member Posts: 22
    We're mostly off grid. From what I understand, the stock charger will charge the battery up to 80% and my solar suitcase should charge it the rest of the way. If that's true, I'll pass on the new converter, however; I have no problem changing it out if it's really necessary. will my TV charge the battery to 100%? I've got 2 weeks, which is plenty of time to make the changes. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Charging the lithium off a TB usually requires a DC to DC converter to regulate the charge properly.  You solar panels should bring the battery up to 100% if it has an MPPT converter that can be set for a lithium battery, like the Victron batteries.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @Marktab320css, yes, your standard rv trailer converter can charge a LiFePO battery to between 80-100%. It depends on the internal BMS (battery management system) and brand. The solar panel top-off timing will depend on the wattage of your suitcase. 100 solar watts, on a 100ah LiFePO is your projected minimum to top it off, 200 solar watts is better to help overcome overcast days and lower winter sun angles. I did a significant amount of research while working on the design, size and capacity of an installation for our large tt. Our system has 1,400 watts of solar on the roof, 600ah of LiFePO battery bank, (2) 50 amp charge controllers, a 3,600 watt inverter and a cerbo full system monitor and display. I was told that in some configurations, the standard RV converter can achieve nearly a 100% charge of a LiFePO battery or battery bank. Good luck, sounds like you've got a plan. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Thanks for everyone's input. I ordered the Battle Born 100AH. I have a 220 watt solar suitcase and live in So Cal so topping off the battery isn't going to be an issue. I'm planning on placing it driver side with all the electrical (see image). it should fit fine and be 6 or more inches from the Alde unit. I'm not planning on a battery box, 

@Marktab320css - Photo resized.  Please resize photos before posting: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/47/what-size-should-my-posted-forum-photos-be#latest

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @jkjenn is just finishing her lithium update...her placement looks sweet..stay tuned..
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    My new Battle Born lithium will be delivered in the next few days so I’m finally moving my battery and switch inside, near the WFCO 8735P power center. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of this WFCO unit? I need to find the large gauge red and white wires coming in from the previous location. I'm pretty sure I can figure out which of the wires in the large wire harness are what I need, however; I'm sure that I'm not the first to do this and don't want to reinvent the wheel. Thank you for any help you can offer.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @Marktab320css, noticed on your previous post you are not planning on utilizing a battery box. I think that is a completely legitimate plan as there is no box, shielding or protection on any part/s of our battery bank. The t@b interior space provides more than enough shielding and protection for the LiFePO. Still sounds like a viable plan. Post up on completion!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    edited April 2021
    I just upgraded our 2019 t@b 400 BDL to Battle Born Lithium batteries.  Our AGM batteries were located under the bed, passenger side and their removal was fairly simple.  Creed at nucamp provided a nice detailed guide line.  Replaced with two Battle Born batteries.  I never imagined the AGM were so heavy.  They were monsters to pull out and just one weighs more than my two new Battle Born batteries together.  So I not only added more power but reduced the weight in the rear of our trailer.  Battle Born included cables (the wiring for the two lithium is not the same as the AGM).  All in all it was a simply process except for that black plastic cover that fits over the batteries.  What a PAIN.  I was almost tempted to just remove it completely.  The batteries are protected inside and anything I put in the storage compartment is in one of three plastic binds so no chance of something flying out.  The one issue I did run into was reconnecting with our Victron Energy controller (mppt 75/15).  My iphone app sees the controller but whenever I input the pin I can't make a connection.  I'm going to lift the mattress and read the PUK and reset everything so fingers cross that works.  Battle Born was a great company to work with.  Replied quickly to emails and phone calls.  Less than a week from our first trip with the new batteries and can't wait to see how they perform.  UPDATE - got the PUK code and reset the controller.  System works perfectly now. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida