Options

New to this group

LeClair2LeClair2 Member Posts: 1
edited September 2015 in Introductions
Hi all, My husband Tyler and I are new to this group and we just love the lil Teardrop Trailers. We are hoping to learn more about them and one day acquire one and join you at your gatherings.  Julie

Comments

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Welcome! You have come to the right place. There is a LOT of information here, and a lot of good people to help with any questions that you may have, so don't be bashful about asking. We all enjoy helping.  Hope you join us soon! 
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The forums are a great place to start. Welcome!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    If you read every post in every thread on this forum you'll be the most knowledgable future T@B owner in your state - It'll only take you a year :-)
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    And even then you'll learn stuff when you actually get your rig. Just ask Patti! (And me too)
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Welcome aboard Julie!

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    CougarCougar Member Posts: 1
    I,m new here as well will be looking at the outback.
    Thinking that it would be great for camping and playing ham radio.
    I think a good name would be ham in a can☺
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    How bout - HamIn@Can :-)
    I believe there's someone else on the forum that's into ham radio - You might try a "ham" search.
  • Options
    CharChar Member Posts: 19
    Hi everyone.  I ALMOST bought one today, then got scared.  I think my big worry is I won't use it enough.  I used to love to camp, but haven't in about ten years.  I'm wondering, if you're willing to share, what you love the most about being a T@B traveler.  Thanks!

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Char - I love that when I travel it isn't the hassle of hotel room to hotel room - completely unpacking at each stop. I also love the ease of getting a T@b into a space almost anywhere. Even when I am too busy to get out camping, I will go work or watch a movie in my T@b just for a change of pace. I honestly don't get out camping as much as other folks - but I take a big a trip at least once a year and I love to travel with my T@b. I found that I made my own lunch more often than when I had to haul a cooler (versus eating out) and that it was handy to be able to stop and use the bathroom in my T@b when a bathroom was still 45 min away.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited July 2015
    Char said:
    Hi everyone.  I ALMOST bought one today, then got scared.  I think my big worry is I won't use it enough.  I used to love to camp, but haven't in about ten years.  I'm wondering, if you're willing to share, what you love the most about being a T@B traveler.  Thanks!

It really is not about the T@B.  There are a lot of choices in the small trailer market.  Ask yourself why you want one?  If it is to get yourself back out there in the camping world, the T@B is a great way to start.  It is small, yet big enough, it is good looking and very pleasent looking inside and is well made and tows easy.  It is hard to find a better starter rig.

Ok, lets say you want to camp but you are not crazy like our newest moderator so you are not going to live in your T@B.  Just look at your monthly/ yearly schedule, how often can you get away for just two or three days at a time or a bit longer trip?  After you answer that, is that enough time to justify the financial and time commitment of owning a T@B?

You already know that only you can answer that question.  I will close with this, you may well find, like many of us have, once you have the rig you get hooked and find the way to spend more time enjoying it.

One last thought that I love..."Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
  • Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    One thing I considered was that I wouldn't really spend days packing and unpacking for a weekend camping trip. I used bins, and that helped, but it was still a pretty big task to get out. With the T@B, I can leave lots of things already packed. I'm almost (but not quite) to my goal of tossing some clothes and food in the car, hooking up, and getting out of town. And what I like best is that it doesn't take much time at all to unhook and set up my recliner when I get there.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    Ok, I'm the crazy one :-)
    I hadn't camped in probably 40 years and decided to cash everything in and travel for at least a year. I like quality and wanted something small that I could park and camp in almost anywhere and the T@B fit the bill so I bought the Max-S. Haven't had a single regret other than the T@B is too cute and you end up giving a lot of tours and answering a lot of questions.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I also like the fact that most everything lives in the T@B full time. Also the versatility. I can throw some clothes in the T@B, grab the visor, a chair, and one bin with some essentials and head on a trip very quickly, orrrr if me and hubby are parking it at Disney for 2 weeks, we can bring our 400 sf "living room" an extra fridge and enough chairs and Halloween decorations to have a huge party :)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Thought we'd like to chime in on this one. We've both been tent campers since our youth and have camped together in tents and pop-ups with and without kids since 1973.  Like many in this thread we often opted to not go camping because of the rigors of preparation, set-up, take-down, and unpacking, sometimes going years in between camping trips because we were not up to the work of it. And while cross-country traveling we'd find ourselves staying at motels and eating in restaurants more often than we'd like to admit. Then in 2009 we discovered LittleGuy/PleasantValley and got our first teardrop, a 5x10 Silver Shadow. We were hooked! We moved up to a T@B-CS in 2013 and have spent nearly half our time on the road exploring this great country. We love the fact that our camping gear stays packed - in the T@B and in the bed of our truck. We need to grab only a few things before each trip. And we love the fact that we always have our own bedroom and kitchen with us. The quality of the LittleGuy/PleasantValley is amazing and the warranty backing is phenomenal.

Our message to you is that if you want to travel and you like the camping lifestyle, T@B is a most excellent way to minimize the work and maximize the enjoyment!

Happy Trails!

"Not all who wander are lost"
                         J.R.R.Tolkien

Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    CharChar Member Posts: 19
    Hi Everyone,  Thank you so so much for your thoughts.  I'm getting it tomorrow!  I think being a single woman who isn't handy made me panic there a bit.  I think I can figure it all out - there's so much to learn!  But, now I'm excited about the challenge and the adventure.  It's also reassuring to know that T@B is such an honorable company.
  • Options
    Char - You'll do fine - Several single gals out doing it - I met one (and her dog) boondocking just north of Lake Havasu City.
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Char: don't panic. I'm a single, old woman who never had an RV (or even tented that much) and I'm doing it. This forum has helped me so much!  I just got my t@b 3 months ago and I'm have enjoyed it thoroughly. Go for it. It's fun. BTW..there is an organization I just joined called Rvingwomen.org. They have groups all over the U.S. And have meet ups.  There's a lot of us women out there doing this. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't think of the T@B as a starter unit.  I'm impressed with the quality.  I see problems posted and immediately check to see if if my unit has that problem.  so far, I've found nothing about which to worry.  I really like the size.  whenever I think about having additional features, I realize I don't want to compromise on this size. I'm happy with my T@B the way it is.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    Ditto Gil.  We could have gone from tent camping to one of the class C RVs we looked at or a larger trailer but decided the size of the T@B and being able to use the tow vehicle while camping was the best solution for us.  The quality of workmanship was a huge factor in selecting the T@B.  For example, look at the caulk lines and compare that to another brand trailer.  Don't know how the LG folks get the caulk so perfect but it's beautiful to someone that has caulked home projects and found perfection rather difficult.  The T@B is not a starter unit but one that we selected from a wide range of options and prices.  While researching RV options I started calling the big box trailers wobbly boxes because many of them seem to wobble on the highway.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    abenteurer - More like wobbly "tin cans" - When I was looking around I just wasn't impressed with any of the tin can types workmanship. Sloppy/cheap at best. Lotta junk out there.
    Some things that sold me on the T@B...
    1) Overall Craftsmanship (quality)
    2) Alde - Radiant heat and on demand hot water
    3) Dual-pane, vacuum-sealed windows (how many other campers have those - virtually none)
    4) The ingenious sliding shade/screen system for the windows (most have venition blinds hangin & bangin)
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I can't agree more with PX. I have looked at a lot of units over the last year or so.

It was all those things that sold us on the T@B. 

Since we we have had the T@B, I have been looking at other options (See posting "Cheating on my T@B"). The reason why we are looking is we find the T@B a bit compact for us. We are both tall and find there are challenges in a unit that you can't stand in. No matter at what I look at, regardless of price, we simply can't find anything that equals the T@B in terms of features and quality. There is also a charm factor that just does not exist in othe units. 

We may eventually take a different path (Class B), but we simply can't bring ourselves to spend 5 times the cost of a T@B, just to solve our issues at this time. 

If and when PV/LG build the larger T@B, I think they will be successful beyond their expectations. 

Ther are are many products out there, but 90% are produced by an unskilled labourer, given a staple gun and 15 minutes of training. The result is poorly built units that won't stand up over time. My apologies to those in the industry that are skilled, and do take the care and time to do good work, however, they are few and far between. 

So if you can deal with the physical space limitations and minimal storage, don't hesitate to buy a T@B. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
    I have wanted a T@B for several years but my daughter would always say how silly I was and that I didn't need one and it wasn't safe for a single woman to go camping. So I figured it out, I am buying one and not telling her. What does she know anyway. I so need the adventure of it all and what better way to go than in a well made small trailer thats cute as a bug. Watch out world here I come.
  • Options
    Cat_93 - Good for you. There's lots of single women out camping. Over the winter, I don't thing I was ever in a campground where there wasn't at least one single gal. There's a bunch here on the forum also. Seems though that all the gals travel with small dogs so if you don't have one maybe it's time, they go hand-in-hand :-)
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    You go cat!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
    I work 10 hour days 5 days a week at the moment, I just don't have the time for a dog, but when I retire then maybe. I have been reading the discussions on the Forums and I have noticed quite a few single women, Its really good to see that as a group we are not all stuck at home just because we are not attached to another person.  Travel on ladies.
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Take back your independence! I agree with Gil...it's not a starter unit, it's a finish unit for me. I don't think I will ever "Move up to a bigger unit". I'm quite content with what I have....that's why I bought it.

Cat- P.S. Our children don't want to worry about us so they try to discourage us from doing things that they cannot control. You go girl!
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Cat, I was always taught to think for myself and not let anyone tell me I couldn't do something. Yup, I'm bull-headed, but try to be level-headed. I camp where I want, when I want, unless my inner voice says "Whoa....if it doesn't feel right, there's plenty of their places to go".  My new T@B is my final (hopefully) camping haven. It has everything I need in a small package. Sunny Day (12 lb Shih Tzu) and I are quite comfortable in the Hoosier T@B and we're going to enjoy many miles of traveling and exploring.

Your daughter will come around as you become so proficient at camping in your new T@B. She'll be proud that her mom can take care of herself. Whether you explore your own state, surrounding states or the entire continent, you can do it, and do it in style!

So, unattached or not, female or male, just go for it. I don't want my last statement on this earth to be "I wish I would have explored more."  One of my favorite sayings is

"LIFE SHOULD NOT BE A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN AN ATTACTIVE AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, 

BUT RATHER TO SLIDE IN SIDEWAYS, CHOCOLATE IN ONE HAND, GLASS OF WINE IN THE OTHER, BODY THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT AND SCREAMING 

"WOOOO HOOOO WHAT A RIDE!!!".  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna - I would only add to that first sentence... WITH A WELL STOCKED BANK ACCOUT.
    So many people I know just won't spend any of their hard earned cash and take it to the grave with them.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    Verna - I would only add to that first sentence... WITH A WELL STOCKED BANK ACCOUT.
    So many people I know just won't spend any of their hard earned cash and take it to the grave with them.
    I have a will. I'm spending my great nephews' inheritance, trust me ;) I worked over 40 years, and now it's play time.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”