Options

Adding portable external solar to built-in solar (2021 320S Boondock)

2»

Comments

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    edited April 2021
    Typically, plugs like the SAE connector will have the positive lead from the power source in a recessed female portion of the plug to prevent the positive line shorting to ground.  This works fine in a typical power source to load circuit.  The interesting issue with the solar charging is that both connectors have a powered positive side, so a decision has to be made which side has the typical recessed female positive connector and which has the exposed male connector.  In our T@bs the solar panel side gets the typical recessed female positive side and the ZAMP port has the exposed male side, connected to the positive side of the battery.  So the ZAMP ports in our T@bs are "reversed" in a sense compared to a typical battery to load circuit.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    edited April 2021
    @lkc001 - do you have your solar panel system yet?  What did you get?

@Horigan - I do understand what you are saying.  I found out that nuCamp will continue to use the same ports as always, so this issue is not going away.  Unfortunately, the original port was called a ZAMP port and I think as long as those ZAMP stickers adhere to the tub, owners and subsequent owners will continue referring to the ports as ZAMP ports🙄.   

Also, owners and those who are less electric savvy, are not familiar with what is “typical” - they just want to be able to plug it in and charge away.  I think the repeated referrals to “reversed polarity” has created confusion.  I know I was confused!  I know @pthomas745 has lost a few hairs trying to explain the solar port and solar connector nuances!  I also think that there is nothing wrong with using an appropriate adapter to connect the controller to the port.  Some advocate cutting the controller wire and attaching the appropriate SAE which is great if you have the know-how, equipment and supplies.  

Anyway, I hope my above post is helpful.  I agree that learning how to use a multimeter is helpful.  Owners new to solar take note!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @Sharon_is_SAM. No I have not purchased any solar yet.  I am leaning towards a portable suitcase type with the controller included  & a 100 watt panel-- like a Renogy or Jackery or equivalent.  Zamp equipment is ridiculously pricey.  Sorry I set off pthomas.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    @lkc001 - oh, you didn’t set off anybody.  Pthomas lost some hair way before you!  We are all still trying to find the best way to teach and explain the solar port issue.  Solar is best in small bites.  In the last 5 years, the suitcase systems have become more competitive and there are more brands.  I can personally recommend Renogy, but there are many other systems being used by TaB owners.  I agree that ZAMP is needlessly pricey.  Good luck with your solar search.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    edited April 2021
    I am duly chastised.  I apologize for pulling my hair out and throwing it all over the Forum.    With all the problems on the planet:  my trigger is SAE cables!   I struggled for a year with the SAE port back in the wild days of 2017.   And, when the light finally came on for me....I was just stunned:  you mean...it was that easy?  I went and tossed or gave away every adapter or exotic cable I had.  I didn't need them anymore.
    I find it frustrating that something so easy has been made so difficult for new users.  But, things are changing to make these connections much easier.  And, there are many cables that work with the SAE port right out of the box.  New controller designs with different connectors will make things easier, too. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745 - not chastising you - just recognizing your efforts to explain the whole solar port.  I share your frustration..  It is too bad that something that should be Plug-n-Play hasn’t played out that way.

Maybe we should come up with a supply list of cables and/or solar suitcases that work with the port?
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @pthomas745 @Sharon_is_SAM. No worries--LOL. I was actually kinda snickering at pthomas trying to explain to a electrical knowledge deficient this stupid Zamp setup.   Now I'm laughing at the mental picture of hair flying everywhere🤣I'm glad there are finally some adapters out there to purchase-- that is a step up!  Your answers have helped.  I think Sam is right-- It would be a help to have links to the adapters Thank you
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    I've read a ton of posts about add-on solar, but there's something I want to be sure about. My 320S has solar with a MPPT 75/10. I want to add a Renogy 100 Watt Eclipse Suitcase that comes with a waterproof controller. Can that controller simply be connected to my battery or will there be some conflict between the Renogy and the MPPT 75/10 both trying to charge the battery at the same time?

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    The separate controllers will work independently to charge your battery.  No conflict.  
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited July 2021
    AnOldUR said:
    I've read a ton of posts about add-on solar, but there's something I want to be sure about. My 320S has solar with a MPPT 75/10. I want to add a Renogy 100 Watt Eclipse Suitcase that comes with a waterproof controller. Can that controller simply be connected to my battery or will there be some conflict between the Renogy and the MPPT 75/10 both trying to charge the battery at the same time?

My 320S BD has the same factory solar setup as yours and I've since added the Renogy 100w suitcase & controller. As @Sharon_is_SAM indicates, the controllers work independently and the setup works fine with no conflicts. You can even make the argument that this is a better setup since you will have a redundant system.
    I very much like the Renogy system, and it is excellent value for money. You can connect it to your battery right out of the box as the positive cable is fused and both lines terminate in alligator clamps. The pigtail has MC4 connectors, allowing you to easily add an SAE plug that can connect to the stock T@B port.  One if its few shortcomings is the length of the stock cabling, which is only 15' and may not be long enough to allow the panels to be positioned optimally. That's easy enough to rectify however.
    If you haven't yet purchased the Renogy, it may be worthwhile to take a look at their eBay site as the pricing is sometimes better than on the other site named after the river.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    @CharlieRN and @Sharon_is_SAM ... Thanks for the replies! Unless it's hidden somewhere, although it has solar, my 2020 320S does not have a port. Ebay does look promising, but to get the items correct, here's the supply list I have in my other cart. Does this look right? Missing anything or is this all wrong?

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    @AnOldUR - you know you can install any old SAE port.  But, what you have chosen will work.  You may want more than 15 feet, though.  We purchased 10 AWG marine cable and put our own connectors on it.  
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    As @Sharon_is_SAM indicates, your selected equipment will work. And you almost certainly will want longer cabling - I went with 30' of 10 AWG. That also meant buying MC4 connectors and a ratcheting crimping tool though. While this increases the overall cost of things, it's money well spent and you'll use the tool for other projects. You may be able to save some money upfront by looking around for a better deal on the Renogy though. This website has it for 20% less than Mr Bezos sells it for.
    Best of luck with the new project.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country