Options

Boondocking without Factory Solar - is it do-able

Questions about a 2018 Tab 400 which has no solar panel installed.  We want to primarily Boondock.  

Question is, can you Boondock effectively with just a solar suitcase?  Do you just connect it directly to the battery poles?  I assume that factory installed solar panels would charge the battery as you drive around, is that true? I guess that would be one advantage of rooftop solar over just having a suitcase.   What size of suitcase solar would you recommend.   Is it doable (and worth it) to install solar aftermarket?  If it is both doable and worth it, as a non-technical and non-practical person, I would need someone to do it for me.  An RV dealer, take it to nuCamp?  
Any help appreciated
Richard

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You can get by with portable solar panels, I would look at 2ea 100 watt panels, which we have for our 2018 TaB400.  They are just the panels, with standard connectors, so we had to get a Victron Blue MPPT 75/15 solar controller, to put between the solar panel and battery.  We had a SAE connector installed in the trailer side next to the outside storage compartment hatch (where the battery is).  We got some ext, cables between the panels and SAE connector in the TaB to allow optimal location of the panels.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited April 2021
    @RichardofYork

Yes, you can boondock with just  suitcase solar. We have always boondocked that way. We get by on 100W, using propane for the fridge in our 320.

It gives the advantage of chasing the sun without being concerned about the placement of the trailer. We frequently are in forested areas (shade) and can place panels in the sun.

The advantage of rooftop is always being set up and working.

Also, there are times when it isn't practical to set up a briefcase. So we've recently purchased a flexible panel for the rooftop to add to our briefcase solar to try and have it all.

Hope this helps...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    You can also boondock without solar or a generator!  Turn the fridge off, use a cooler.  Battery operated lights, etc.  Propane fridges make this easy to do, of course. 
    I make everything work with just a stock battery, 100 watts of solar panel.  My fridge is propane. 
    Dig into your battery box and discover what battery you have.(How many amp hours of battery do you have?)   Look around the outside of the trailer for the "solar port", which will make a difference in how to connect to your battery. (It gets confusing on which years have the port). Look up your fridge model and see how much power it draws.  Have a look around at the other power using things in the trailer...how much do they use?  The trailer is pretty efficient for power use, but it still needs to be managed (especially when solar conditions are not really good.) 

Sounds complicated?  At first, but it isn't really hard.....and you can boondock until you run out of tank space!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    All the above comments are true in a smaller TaB 320.  But the larger 2018 TaB 400 that RichardofYork has, with its compressor two-way fridge does not have a propane option for the fridge.   The compressor fridge on DC is very efficient.  Our 190 watts of roof mounted solar keeps the TaB’s 400 200 amp AGM battery charged during the day, recovering from the discharge during the night.  The solar can keep up with the 12VDC fridge, lights, radio (for an hour or two in the evening), and Alde providing some night time heat (Alde on propane, still needs some 12VDC power) withour any issue.  

Having the portable panels, puts them where the sun is shining at an optimal angle.  Our roof mounted solar is a little less efficient, but still manages enough charge, even when partially shaded.  A portable setup would be even better.  We use our portable panels to augment the roof top panels when it is parked where it is not getting as much sun.
    cheers
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    I spent most of my life boondocking with just a backpack and no electricity.  Yep its certainly possible to do with no electricity!   But on a serious note you should be fine if you have a suitcase. 

If you have a connection for portable solar already installed then the easiest and cheapest thing to do is get a solar suitcase.  Our 400 came with the roof top solar but I still bring our older Go Power 80 watt suitcase to supplement if needed.  I've had it for several years and it's a solid system.  So far I have only used it once and really did not need to.  I know Go Power offers a 90watt, 130watt and 200 watt suitcase.  I would go with the 200 watt for your trailer or the 130 if you want something a tad smaller and cheaper.  Renogy also makes some good kits as well. 

A suitcase set up will be cheaper than having a permanent one installed and no drilling into the roof, plug and play.  That's what I'd do in your case.  However you will loose the ability to solar charge when traveling down the road.  But that can be remedied with a DC to DC charger on your tow vehicle.  You could add one of those as well with the suitcase and still most likely be well under the cost of having a permanent  solar set up installed.   Plus the DC to DC charger will charge better when traveling than a solar panel. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    If you go the route of portable solar, if you need more than 100 watts, I would recommend two 100 watt suitcases.  The 200 watt suitcases are big and heavy.  The 100 watt suitcases are easier to store, carry during travel and weigh less individually.  Plus, there may be occasions when you only need 100 watts.  Lastly, if one breaks, you have a backup.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Yes, good advice Sharon, my portable setup is two 100 watt panels, each in their own case.
    the case has a pouch for the connecting cords and adapters.  
    Cheers
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    edited April 2021
    you just need to buy my zamp solar 160 watt suitcase panel with charger and boondock all you want.

(Edit:  Sold - Moderator)
  • Options
    NinjaHippieNinjaHippie Member Posts: 6
    I almost exclusively boondock in my 320 Outback with a single group 24 and a 100w Renogy suitcase.  I sleep with a CPAP with no issues.  The panels will have the battery toped up within an hour or two in the morning and several hours if it's cloudy.  First mod this spring is adding a second battery to double my storage and alleviate my charge anxiety. I run the fridge on propane and get at least a summer's worth of trips on one tank.

You can connect directly to the battery with alligator clips but I installed an Anderson Powerpole connector on the side of the tub to make it simpler.  Some setups like Zamp use the SAE connector but they almost universally have too small gauge wire for the charging amperage and sometimes have the polarity incorrect.  If you get a suitcase (I highly recommend Renogy) get enough cable to give you options in placing the panels.  I try to park under trees to stay cool but within 10 or so feet of a good southern exposure and move the panels as the day progresses.

I usually take a 2000w generator in case of extended rainy days or if I get into a situation where I just need the relief of A/C for a while.  I've never used it though.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    The "polarity" of the SAE port is exactly correct for SAE cables that are wired properly. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi