Options

Replaced Jensen Television w/ Computer Monitor

AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
Between the size and that we don't watch over the air TV much, the Jensen that came with our T@B was not much good to us. I had a 27" work computer monitor that was no longer being used since retiring, so decided to upgrade the Jensen. Took some work, but happy with the outcome. We never liked the sound coming from the stock speakers behind us while watch TV. The monitor had built in stereo speakers but the sound was tinny, so I picked up a small sound bar. To separate the audio from the HDMI output I used an audio extractor. The problem was that the only ones I found were 5V, USB powered, so I had to add a 12V to 5V converter. The monitor and sound bar were both 12V, so hard wiring them directly into the T@B was not a problem. Also picked up a bare bones Fire Stick Lite. Here's the results:

Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I've wanted to replace the stock Jensen TV for a long time. I do not use the Jensen control box.  I have a coax cable that runs from the portable Dish satellite to the Hopper receiver box.  I then have a HDMI cable that goes from the Hopper directly to the TV.  I also have a Blue Ray player directly wired to the TV via a HDMI cable.  Would a computer monitor work with that configuration??
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    @Tabaz ... At home I use a computer monitor connected to a TiVo box as a kitchen TV. So yes, as long as you have a controllable source, a monitor with HDMI input is all you need. In my T@B I’m no longer using a coaxial connection. I’m using a HDMI switch box to feed the monitor from either the Jensen DVD player or the Fire Stick. This is my first experience with the Fire Stick. There’s more than enough content available from Amazon Prime for us. It even has live TV for news. As long as there’s cell service, I can use my phone as a hotspot if I can’t find another wifi source.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @AnOldUR Nice setup. You might want to augment it with a direct HDMI connection to your phone. The reason I do is that the Firestick eats data like crazy. My "unlimited" plan slows down after 15 gigs of hotspot use but streaming on the phone through the cable has never run out on me. FYI I watch Prime video on my iPhone and YouTube.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    @JeffroNC ... Interesting about the data usage. Before getting the Fire TV Stick I used a HDMI adapter with an iPhone for a weekend trip. Worked well, but I didn't like dedicating my phone while streaming and having to plug/unplug. My thought was that the Fire Stick would be a good alternative, but not if it's going to cost too much in data usage. What service do you use? (I'm on Xfinity)
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited April 2021
    I did this awhile ago in my T@G. Variation on a theme, I replaced the Jensen with an LG 28" television. $98 bucks at Best buy. It's AC only, but I stuck a small 300 watt sine wave inverter in the cabinet to run the tv and my Mac mini that I buried in the wall. Power draw for the LG and inverter is, curiously, about the same as the Jensen by itself. The LG has much better picture (16X9 ratio screen, so it matches my computer output) and it has MUCH better sound quality. I piped the sound output from the LG back to the stereo via bluetooth, but to be honest, I also like the sound at the LG instead of from the overhead speakers. I feed the computer signal to the LG via HDMI cable. Works great for me.

The small screen is an Android head unit I replaced the Jensen stereo with. It's a Seicane with 64 bit processer hooked to my Verizon usb hotspot. The hotspot is shared with my Mac Mini. I have an Apple usb dvd drive hooked to the Mini for movies...
    I also replaced the stock ceiling speakers with Pioneer 6" speakers. It's nice and works well together...
    WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    WilliamA said:
    ... I also like the sound at the LG instead of from the overhead speakers ...
    Looks like a very nice setup! This is the small sound bar that I attached to the bottom of my monitor. It's not the best quality sound, but way, way better than the speakers in the monitor and at a decent price.
    edit to add:
    Unlike the Jensen radio, this sound bar has Bluetooth that actually works like it's suppose to.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice.  Will add this to the top of the mod list.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Honestly I think that NuCamp should sell a model that doesn't have any AV equipment. Anyone who wants audio can easily add their own audio source of choice + bluetooth speakers, and a display isn't that much more work. Maybe just install the backing for a video mount. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @Marceline ... With the back order that nuCamp is experiencing, probably most are built to order, so I’d think that you could pretty easily accomplish any customization you want. The wall mount that they use for the Jensen TV has the standard bolt pattern. The monitor that I used fit it easily.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    @AnOldUR - all TaBs come off the line with a standard build including or excluding current available standard options.  The only way to customize now is to have something installed once the trailer is off the line.  It can still be done by nuCamp Repair Dept, just off the line.

@Marceline, we had our TaB built without any AV equipment back in 2017.  Back then it was either an option or they just honored the request.  Have not missed it.  On long trips we travel with a portable DVD player.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Found a 24" direct replacement for the Jensen 18" stock television:

Sticks out one inch into the cabin when stowed against the wall.

Size comparison to the stock Jensen.

https://www.amazon.com/SuperSonic-SC-2411-Widescreen-Screen-Compatibility/dp/B0082ULKUE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=37BK9J9M4ACP8&dchild=1&keywords=supersonic+sc-2411+led+widescreen+hdtv&qid=1619575893&sprefix=supersonic+sc-2411,aps,211&sr=8-3

Uses the factory articulating mounting bracket AND Jensen 12 Volt power plug. It's also lighter in weight than the Jensen.  Will cut off the 110V power cord you see hanging in the first photo.  Wish all my mods were this effortless.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    Tabaz,
    I'd be interested in your experience with this. Power consumption, radio compatibility,  etc. I think the Jensen might be something of a power hog compared to other ac/dc options. 
    WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    For what it's worth, after a road trip, we made a few changes to this mod. The two-sided tape holding up the audio separator did not hold up, so I added a hold-down strap. The monitor bracket from nuCamp had three pivot points and was long and prone to sag. I removed one section and moved the bracket to the opposite side of the cubbyhole so that the monitor would position properly during travel. Removing one section strengthened up the system to accommodate the heavier monitor. Lastly, the Firestick is now plugged directly into the audio separator. It had previously been located up by the Jensen radio, but we were not getting a great wifi signal. Could have been interference from the radio or the aluminum roof blocking the signal, but it is a little better in its new location. Also, there was no 5V power at the Jensen radio, so I had the Firestick plugged into the 120V kitchen outlet with a wall adapter. Now it's powered from the already installed 12V to 5V converter and does not require shore power. The last thing I’ll probably do is to add a splitter to the cubby to switch between the Firestick and DVD from the Jensen. (I’d like to find a decent replacement for the Jensen.)

Stockton, New Jersey