Options

A battery! A Battery! My kingdom for a battery!

So, based on info I have read on this forum I have come to the conclusion that we probably want to consider replacing our battery. First off, it doesn't hold a charge very long. Secondly, we--ignorant of what we should or should not do--left it in the T@B, connected, all winter long. We were plugged into shore power all winter, but still. We have also let it completely run down to nothing at least twice. I get the sense that we need to seriously consider replacing it, or at least keeping a spare with us. 

Am I correct about this? Replace it, or get a spare? And if I do need to replace it, are all 24M marine batteries the same--as in, we have an Interstate battery now, would a Die Hard 24M be the same? :s The Die Hard has 550 cold cranking amps where the Interstate has 405;  the reserve capacity on the Die Hard is 105 minutes, the Interstate is 100... just doing comparison shopping here.

Comments

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I would replace it. Whenever you buy a new battery you will be charged a "core charge". Turning in tour old battery and you will get that back. The Optima batteries al highly rated (and highly priced). Reserve  capacity is more important than cold cranking amps. Also it all depends on the reserve capacity of your wallet. Amazon is a good place to shop around, and so is Wal-Mart.com, Good luck.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ya, cold cranking power is if you're starting a car - You want a deep-cycle battery, rv type.
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    We replaced ours with a group 32 Gel closed cell battery and were then able to mount it inside on the drivers side behind the axel. This took about 75 lbs off of the tongue weight. You can place a gel or AGM inside as the don't off gas.

They are more expensive to begin with but you can draw them down more deeply without hurting them and you get twice the life out of them. 
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Mercator...did you put the battery under the seat?  I'm not clear...but certainly interested.  How many AmpHrs in your Group 32?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Mercator...did you put the battery under the seat?  I'm not clear...but certainly interested.  How many AmpHrs in your Group 32?
    I installed it under the back bench seat near the Attwood furnace. Not sure if the same location would work with an Alde.

Here is the link to the topic I created for the battery install. 

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/690/group-31-gel-battery-inside-installation#latest
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Very nicely done!  And you're right, couldn't be done with the Alde in there...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    The Alde takes up a lot more room than the older Atwood heater. I don't think it will fit there. I think you would have to sacrifice some of the storage on the drivers side. 

I really wanted an AGM battery, but my dealer could not get one. They simply installed the typical Interstate deep cycle RV battery. When it comes time to replace it, I will look at putting in an Optima. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Wouldn't there be room in the same space that holds the converter?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Wouldn't there be room in the same space that holds the converter?
    In my T@B there was room for a group 24, but I wanted to upgrade to  group 32. 
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    My dealer informed me that since I'm picking my T@B up at the factory, I'll need to purchase a battery. Shopping around on line, I'm confused by the initials after the group number. For example, on Camping Worlds page they have a plain 24, a 24 DP, and a 24F. Also, the battery box that comes with the T@B, will it only fit a Group 24 battery?  On an auto parts store's page they didn't show any Optimas in size 24.Thanks!
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    kybob said:
    My dealer informed me that since I'm picking my T@B up at the factory, I'll need to purchase a battery. Shopping around on line, I'm confused by the initials after the group number. For example, on Camping Worlds page they have a plain 24, a 24 DP, and a 24F. Also, the battery box that comes with the T@B, will it only fit a Group 24 battery?  On an auto parts store's page they didn't show any Optimas in size 24.Thanks!
    I believe that the letters after the Group size describe the positive and negative posts to which you attach the battery cables.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Thank you, Mercator. Which type of post does one need to hook up to the T@B's wiring?

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    You need to google battery groups.

For right now, you need a deep cycle group 24 battery for the current battery box they are putting in the tabs - you need to decide if you want a flooded lead-based (you need to check the distilled water levels on a regular basis), AGM or pure gel battery (goes up in price respectively - but no water addition). The higher the group number, the higher the amp hours. I don't recall battery posts being significantly different on the different group batteries, but the physical sizes of the batteries are way different. As you go up in size and amp hours, you also go up in weight. 

The wiring and hookups are already present in your tab. You'll need a wrench to hook up the positive and negative posts. Put them in wrong and you'll blow the fuse inside the converter box.

What I'm most surprised about is that your dealer is so cheap, he won't put a battery in for you. 99% of dealers install one for you (fully charged) as well as put a full tank of propane in the 20lb tank.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ratkity - Since kabob is picking it up at the factory, it's going to need a battery if it's to be used on the trip back so not surprised one has to take one with.

kabob - As Ratkity mentions, the dealers add the the battery and I've never heard of one where it wasn't included with the price, same with a propane tank. I'd tell your dealer you'll be by to pick it up before you leave (unless of course that is way out of your way) - otherwise you should get a discount.
  • Options
    kybob said:
    Thank you, Mercator. Which type of post does one need to hook up to the T@B's wiring?
    A typical automotive battery has posts (different size for positive and negative) onto which you slide the battery cable clamps.  The battery cables for a T@B require a small threaded post that generally have wing nuts that allow you to hand tightened the cables.  In my case, I installed a GEL battery inside the unit and it had terminals that had a hole that allowed the battery to be connected with a nut and bolt through the ring connectors of the battery cables.  Here is a link to a Trojan battery page that describes the different types of terminals.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Thank you, Mercator!

• Options
    I am getting an allowance on the price by picking up the battery at the factory. The only reason why I'm picking it up myself, is we made a reservation for Tearstock back in March when we ordered our T@B thinking we would have it in June. As it is, we are picking it up and driving straight to Atwood Lake. Well, maybe a stop at Walmart first! Am I correct, that only a Group 24 battery will fit in the battery box that comes with the T@B? Thanks! 

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304

The Group 24 batteries that I have are 6 1/2 x 10. The tray that it sits in is  7 3/4 x 11, so maybe a larger battery would fit in the tray, with some creativity you could go bigger or put two 6 volt batteries in there.

The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    I went with a group 32 on the mistaken belief (based on T@B manual) that the Atwood heater draw a lot of power.  I was planning a winter trip and need the heater for overnight stops where there was no hookups.  As it turned out 1. The amp draw was much less than anticipated and 2. the heater only cycle on for a few minutes every 30 minutes or so.  As I don't plan on boon docking too much a group 24 would have probably done the trick (at a much lower cost.)
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Group 29 is, I think, 13" long x 5" wide x 8.9" high, so wouldn't fit into the Group 24 tray. There might be room in the box for a Group 29 tray.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander