Options

A different hitch for the 320 or 400?

MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
We've had our 2021 since June and over time I've either learned what not to do to make hitching or unhitching easy or the hitch has significantly loosened up. I now make sure I'm level and not far off from the trailer centerline and have the TV at the front of the hitch when connecting/disconnecting. BUT that leaves some situations where I could camp and either don't try or spend a lot of time improving it. SO I recently saw a friends dump trailer with a 2 inch ball hitch that had the grabbing portion come from the side that to me looked as if it would handle my difficult situations. I don't want to go to a pintle hook for the vibration. This hitch looked like it might bolt on where our current one does. Thoughts from the knowledgable?
Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
managed by VE Smart Network

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2021
    Should work, European hitches are a side grip style, and they are used in the TaBs on the other side of the pond.  You could also go with an off road type articulated hitch, it just pulls out off the receiver or uses a pin to release the trailer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    I don't want to go with the articulated style as it requires a large amount of work and some $ for both ends. I think the style I saw was a collar type as it seemed to address the problems with alignment that ours may have. These probably come with their own set of issues however. I believe Curt makes one.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    @MarkAl ; Any chance you could post an image or link to the style of coupler being considered.

However, I expect as you get more experience with the standard Yoke-Style coupler and it gets more worn in you'll find connecting/etc gets easy.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    This is one that requires welding and I'm not sure the A-Frame is the correct angle but at this point I'm just gathering information. The clamp seems much more secure and should allow more angles to hitch than the current blind clamp. e-Trailer, Curt and others have them one type may be drillable. 

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Those are used on cargo, utility and boat trailers, I have not seen one used on a RV.  You need to check the weight capacity this hitch can handle.  The European version for RVs has teflon pads that lock in from both sides, eliminating any slack movement in the ball to socket connection.  It uses a top mount Ed locking lever, that can be locked down to discourage theft.
    cheers
  • Options
    From 5,000 up to 12,500. From what I've seen they attach more simply and latching is readily verified. I am wondering why they aren't used more on RV trailers - I'm not one for tradition.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Mark, I do not think it is a tradition issue, more likely a cost issue, or product availability issue.  The hitch you referenced is more expensive to manufacture.  Yes, it is also very secure.  A hitch has to deal with both a static load strain and a dynamic load when underway.  I just wished we used the same type of hitch as they do in Europe, the first TaBs had this hitch from the UK.  The current TaB trailer frames are made by a contract manufacturer for nüCamp, they get them ready built, axle, and hitch all ready installed, unlike Kenskill trailers, which made their own frames formthe trardrop trailers they made in the 1950-60s.
    cheers
  • Options
    I think our hitch is pretty reliable and unlikely to need changing for quite awhile. Now that I understand the limitations and work arounds it's okay. BUT the next time I could have quickly jacked the trailer into a spot without worrying about how lined up I am so to easily unhook I'll think about changing. :)