Options

Leak from Nautilus box and outdoor shower box while driving T@B 320S in heavy rain.

riseandshineriseandshine Member Posts: 21
We just experience two water leaks similar to what MonicaNOCO described in the post linked below, but apparently with different causes. While I've fixed one of the leaks (hopefully), the solution may cause unanticipated problems down the road. Link: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/139126#Comment_139126

After driving our T@B 320S in heavy rain we noticed water in several places across the inside floor. The water was dirtiest and most prevalent around the Nautilus box under the driver side seats, but dirty water made its way under all four seats to varying degrees. No water was found behind/under the kitchen cabinet area, likely because the floor rugs we have absorbed it before reaching that area. The dirty water was only on the floor and made it no higher to any other parts of the trailer. Total volume was maybe a few cups, but it was hard to measure.

There was also a smaller amount of cleaner water on the bottom of the storage area under the rear drivers side seat, near the inside of the housing for the outdoor shower. There were also a few drops on the shower hose there. This water was not on the flat part of the floor but on the rounded part toward the back of the trailer.

We inspected the nautilus box and saw lots of very dirty water and debris all over the inside surfaces of the box, including the top. It looked like dirty water got blasted into the Nautilus box with force. The door of the Nautilus box was securely closed and latched and the gasket is intact and feels as though it seals when the door is latched. While sticking my head inside the Nautilus box (yes, it fits), I noticed several uncaulked seams or gaps between the box and the inside wall of the trailer, with dirty water near and inside these gaps. I also noticed that the back side of the drivers side trailer tire (which has no mud flap) is directly below the hose port for the Nautilus box. Even though the plastic port cover was completely closed, the fit is loose with small gaps and it's easy to imagine that tire splashing road water with enough force to splatter all over the inside of the box, then into the gaps, then into the trailer. 

The outdoor shower box was also wet inside all over, but the water was less dirty. There's no gasket on this door and the fit is loose. It looks like water simply ran down the outside wall of the trailer and flowed into the shower box. Some amount of the water hit the shower hose and then simply dripped into the interior.

So to fix the Nautilus box leak, I sealed all the open seams with non-silicon marine caulking and made a foam plug to fit tightly inside the hose port (photos below). I tried to fix the outdoor shower box leak by putting a thin gasket around the shower box, but the door is so thin and flexible that it will not create a seal. Attempts to reinforce the door with various metal braces failed as there's very little room to attach anything to the inside of the door without pressing against the shower head and/or the door clasp.

Does anyone see any problems completely blocking the Nautilus box host port? If there's a small leak from inside the Nautilus box, it would have no way to drain out now, which is a concern. Has anyone found a way to make the outdoor shower door water tight?

2021 T@B 320S, Toyota Tacoma, Olympic Peninsula WA

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I know dust gets in the Nautilus box and I have thought about doing something similar to keep the box clean.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 258
    I would caulk around the bottom of the drain valves as well.  I found the water from inside the Nautilus box made its way into my 2021 320S as well.  I'm not crazy about the way the bottom of those hoses are tangent to the bottom of the Nautilus.  As your photo above shows, they are not very easy to caulk and it provides a direct route to the inside of the camper.