Options

Cover T@B400 rear window to keep heat out, window film versus lined-plastic with hooks

I spend most of my full-timer time in the southwest. I find the rear window of the T@B400, since it is nearly horizontal, lets way too much light and heat into the cabin. Shortly after I purchased my T@B I fabricated felt-lined plastic covers to fit the front and rear window when they are exposed to direct sun and I am stationary. The covers work very well at keeping heat out. I mounted suction cup hooks at the four corners of the window to secure the covers in place. It is a pain to deploy the rear cover, the hooks at the top of the window are impossible to reach from outside so I have to attach the cover by opening the window and, from inside, reaching through the window and around outside. I just purchased some light blocking static-cling window film that can be applied to exterior surfaces. I installed it and look forward to heat protection when I am stationary as well as towing. The film was easy to install and is removable since there's no adhesive. I'll update this post later to report how it works. The film was about $40 on Amazon. Brand: WindowWhirl.

2019 T@B400
TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
Southern California
Full-timer since 2019

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @jimcenname - we used a tinted film on our front window of our CSS.  Not so much for the heat and UV, but it does double duty to protect it from scratching from the corrugated plastic cover used to prevent breakage due to road gators.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    @Sharon_is_SAM, can you tell me more about the tint? I want to do that for my front window. 
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Ours is called Black Magic Insta-Cling.  We got ours at Walmart, but Amazon has a ton of this stuff with maybe more choices in light transmission.  We have the 5% transmission and it is pretty dark.

It is a rolled sheet of thin, plastic, tinted film that comes in varying degrees of transparency.  It works by static cling and you apply it like a phone screen protector.   This should help reduce fading, glare and heat.  Good idea for use out west.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @Sharon_is_SAM, did the locks get in the way? How did you work around them? Or... From your earlier post it looks like you installed it exterior. If so how's it holding up?
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
    Is this something that stays on as you drive or do you put it on when stationary? Do you clean it in a special way before application? 
    We are in SW and fight the UV all the time. 
    Mer
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    I expect it to stay on for years. We'll see. I cleaned the window with dish soap and water. Also use the same solution to wet window and film to maneuver into place and squeegee remaining water out.
    https://windowwhirl.com/pages/shop
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    @jimcenname - We installed it on the outside.  It has held up well - no edges curled or anything.  But, ours is also covered with the corrugated plastic window protector.

@xdr - It stays on your windows.  I would recommend trimming the corners into a curve to avoid rolling up.
    You thoroughly clean the window with soapy water and rinse.  Apply the film and smooth out the air bubbles with a credit card or squeegee.  Well worth a try!
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Jim - glad this film idea worked for you.  My only concern is that the windows on the 320 are not flat.  By putting the film only on the flat surface, doesn't a significant amount of light enter from the rounded edges of the window?

Sharon - where did you buy the "U" channel for the corrugated plastic panel?  I've looked everywhere without success. I believe this was another Dale Mod from a year or so ago.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Light does enter at the edges but it seems okay. I'll know more when I experience direct sunlight tomorrow. The light pattern you see in this photo is due to refraction of sunlight through the top edge of the window over the roof and from the front of my T@B. 

2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @Tabaz - the u-channel and vertical strips are aluminum from Home Depot.  U-channel held on with some super, double sided tape.  You need to drill threaded holes in the u-channel with a tap to hold the wing nut screw.

• Options
    What department in Home Depot?  No need for the metal cross members - I plan on using them only at the campsite for shade (will use a solid white plastic).
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, do you think lose the corrugated sheet if you don't use the vertical strips?
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Doesn't all this render the T@B a bit like a cave? 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    edited May 2021
    @AirBoss No, it allows me to take my sunglasses off when I am in my T@B. My homebase in southern California gets 277 days of sunshine per year.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Understood. Just looking for a nice compromise between staying dark all day and becoming medium-rare! I'm SoCal too. But prefer to have a more lighten interior. Assuming of course I have 120V! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    @AirBoss, after some more thought, heat is more the issue. The exterior fabric covers really help but are a pain and I don't drive with them on. I tinted the front driver and front passenger windows on my truck and life is soooo much better when I am driving for four hours. I am hoping the T@B cabin will be cooler too for my midday travel breaks. 
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    I'm in Phoenix, AZ and have the same issues.  I really can't stand being cooped up in the trailer with all the windows closed and the unbelievably noisy A/C running.  So I do what I can to shade the trailer and keep the interior as cool as possible with the windows open.  Here is my current "sun abatement" arrangement: XL visor, custom made window shades, portable shade tarp (on roof of trailer) and $6 Walmart silver tarp cut to fit and held in place with metal binder clips.  I use the Sun Tracker app to position the trailer in order to minimize side exposure.  This works to keep the cabin at the same temperature as outside in the shade.

• Options
    @Tabaz I like the concept of the roof tarp. Where did you get the support structure?
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Jim:
    Here is the link for the roof shade:

https://www.amazon.com/Hasika-Waterproof-Resistant-Multifunction-Traveling/dp/B00ZKYSCOM/ref=pd_sbs_5?pd_rd_w=4cRGY&pf_rd_p=98101395-b70f-4a52-af63-8fac2c513e02&pf_rd_r=H0E53EZ39RN77EPVB4J2&pd_rd_r=9c1653c2-b135-4db1-82f3-7ac031b335cd&pd_rd_wg=abR37&pd_rd_i=B00ZKYSCOM&psc=1

It doesn't require any support for the 320.  You simply use four bungee cords secured to the four trailer handles.  Don't insert the "left to right" fiberglass pole that comes with the shade - it will mar the trailer trim.
  • Options
    BTW, the roof shade is super easy for one person to install (even in windy conditions).  You may consider getting two to compensate for the extra surface area of the 400.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @Tabaz - not sure about which dept. in Home Depot.  Available on line, too.

@jimcenname - due to the up-down curve of the window, the corrugated plastic is not perfectly flat.  It is flexible and can pop out at higher speeds.  Hence the aluminum strips.  Here is Dale’s original thread:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4874/front-window-rock-protection/p1

@Tabaz - we have a second “roof shade” on the way for use as a visor with brief stops.  I am thinking about getting some aluminet to secure over the top.  That would really shade the top much better.

• Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    Great ideas on battling the sun!   Here in PA we don't think about the sun much - mostly just wish we had more of it - but we will be traveling thru Utah for a week so I'm going to try to rig up a cheap removable shade.  My first try will be using a windshield sun-block screen from a former car.  My "prototype" in the picture below will need some trimming and taping but I think it should tuck in nicely behind the partially closed screen and blind in the 400 and keep most of the sun out when we don't want it.

2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    That’s a grand idea.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I installed the white, light-blocking film on the top surface, exterior of the rear window, it was pretty easy. Today I installed Gila brand static cling window tint film on the interior of the front window. Static cling film is acceptable on Plexiglass (Acrylic). It was more work and I am less pleased with the results. I removed the locks and hold-open arms from the window. There were rubber pads under the locks that I left in place and cut the film around them. not well. As of now the optical quality isn't as good as I experienced with other Gila adhesive backed film on glass. I recall the other films get better over time as trapped water, used during installation, escapes. 
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    @jimcenname - why did you choose an inside application and what color did you use?  Just curious because here at home, we installed a solar roller shade.  Since we wanted good visibility, they recommended a darker color.  Of course, with you being out west, controlling the heat gain is your priority.  
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @Sharon_is_SAM, good questions. I consider interior and exterior applications. With interior installation I could cover further to the window edges that the exterior, the sharp curves of the outside surface being the issue. Also, I wasn't aware of any exterior static cling films that wouldn't peel when exposed to the elements. Though, it sounds like your "Black Magic" installation is adhering well. While I do want to reduce heat, my interest in tinting the front window is to reduce light, since I sit so close to the window. Gila's film does reduces 99% of UV and 70% heat, no spec on light but my film feels like medium tint. Yesterday, the day of installation, there was still a lot of heat when the sun was direct so I deployed my outside fabric cover. While I was at Walmart yesterday, I saw the film you used. I see they have a 20% light transmittance version. If the optical quality of my film doesn't improve I will try Black Magic on the outside.
    film web site: https://gilafilms.com/for-home/gila-heat-control-platinum-static-cling-window-film
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    ok.  I see your first picture has light coming in on the edges.  It crossed my mind that an interior roller solar shade may be a good option.  Check out Comfort Blinds.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @Tabaz - check this out.  https://www.shaderv.com/
  • Options
    This is a comparison of what the front window of a T@B400 looks like with Gila Heat Reduction Static Cling film installed. Compare to adjacent un-tinted round window.

2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    A somewhat related question:  what exactly does that sticker on my TaB windows regarding the sun and the blinds mean, and why?
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum