Options

Cover T@B400 rear window to keep heat out, window film versus lined-plastic with hooks

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    That looks really nice!  Do you want it even darker?  I am sure it helps, but, when we used Reflectix on our windows to help keep the TaB cool in blistering heat (Assateague) it did not help.  So much heat comes through the roof.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2021
    @RMo A Plastoform sales rep emailed me the follow when I asked. BTW, I recently emailed him questions about putting film on the windows and he never responded. I then emailed the factory in Europe and they responded. 

dan@transatlanticprod.com

Tue, Oct 29, 2019, 7:05 AM

Jim,

The label is indicating 2 things. 

1. Don’t leave the windows propped open when driving
    2. Don’t have the shades fully closed in direct sunlight 

It is a generic warning label that you’ll find on all acrylic windows and RV hatches.  It is the result of the fact that the window/hatch manufacturer can’t control what type of shading system is installed over the window.  Some shading systems have reflective foil backs (looks like aluminum foil on the back) and no form on ventilation.  When those types of coverings are used with an acrylic window there is the possibility of extreme heat build-up. 

Your TAB 400 has ventilated coverings (holes in the top and lower rails) with an extra layer of heat control on the material itself (white layer on the back).  We have never had an issue with these coverings allowing too much heat to build up.  However, the window manufacturer puts the warning label on every window since they never know what covering will be installed.

If you ever have an issue due to heat buildup we will warrant the window.

I hope this explains the situation!

Thanks,

Dan Rodabaugh

(574) 596-9100

2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I am good with this tint shade as of right now though I haven't ruled out a shade like yours. BTW, how is the optical quality of your film? Does it distort the view much?
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    As I remember, it is fine.  I will make a note to check when we retrieve the TaB from storage later this month.  It is easy for us to leave the rock protector on, so we just cover it with a decorative awning and our view is thru screening.  

@Dalehelman - I think you put some vinyl under your window rock protector.  What brand did you use and how is your view?
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 147
    @jimcenname - thanks for that info.  Do you take the following quote from the email to mean that silver reflective material should NOT be put inside the window?  

“Some shading systems have reflective foil backs (looks like aluminum foil on the back) and no form on ventilation.  When those types of coverings are used with an acrylic window there is the possibility of extreme heat build-up. ”

in my mind, the reflective material would help reduce heat, but I’m no expert.  Thoughts?
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited
  • Options
    Yes, according to the writer the foil will cause the space near the window to heat up too much. If not for the foil some of that heat will pass through the blinds into the cabin, the foil concentrates it in the space between the blinds and the window. You can also consider experience others on this forum have with the foil heat shields.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    For @Sharon_is_SAM or @Dalehelman- We want to put the film on the front window but want to add the rock protection in a few days first. 
    I have a few questions- First, when you added the U-channel to the window, did you put the tape on the length of the u-channel or just in spots? Is it ever possible to take off the u-channel or reposition it without damaging the window? (The odds of me getting that u-channel perfectly straight the first time..... :s )
    Also, I thought I read that the second rev of this project you used metal u-channel and not the plastic. I went back and looked but don't see that. Did you stick with the plastic? 
    thanks,
    mer

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @xdr - the tape runs the length of each section of u channel.  It does come off.  I recommend that when you initially fit it, gently press it until after you have your final placement.  We did replace the u channel with aluminum from Home Depot.  Also, my DH noted that due to the curvature at the  window edges, the channel has lifted up because it is a straight piece.  He wants to try to bend the aluminum a little to allow better tape adherence.  I say leave well enough alone!  After all, it has been through some high winds without any problems.

Are you adding the film on the exterior of the window to prevent scratches?
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Was the plastic u-channel not strong enough to keep the board in place? 

We have been wanting to add some kind of tint to our windows since we got the camper simply because the strong NM sun frys anything in its path! A friend of ours does car window tinting and we wanted to ask him to do our camper but the curvature of the windows and the fact that they are acrylic has stopped us so far. Your window film idea is the perfect alternative. If it keeps the windows from getting scratches that's a great bonus. 
    mer

• Options
    @xdr - per DH, the Tap screws held better in the aluminum u channel.  

Did you see this thread?  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4874/front-window-rock-protection/p1
  • Options
    I did see the thread -thanks for resending. 
    I looked over the thread twice  this afternoon and still don’t see when it switches to aluminum.  But all I need to know is to use the aluminum which seems much stronger in the long haul.  ;)
    I appreciate your help. 
    Mer
  • Options
    Following @Sharon_is_SAM's lead I installed static cling window tint film to the outside of my T@B400 side windows (3-rounds, kitchen and door). While Sharon used Black Magic film, I used Gila Static Cling Heat Control film purchased at Home Depot. FYI, I installed this same film on the interior of my front window. It has a completely different look when viewed from outside. The outside installation looks mirror-like. The inside installation looks darkly tinted when viewed from outside. I don't know if the police will like the mirror look but I think my risk is low since it's on the sides only. If necessary I can remove the film immediately, a feature of static cling film. BTW, the package says not to install it on acrylic but I called the company and they said it's okay on acrylic. I'll tell you if the desert heat breaks my windows. 
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    @jimcenname - how dark is it inside now?  Any distortion looking out?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @Sharon_is_SAM The clarity seems better when the film is on the outside, or I just did a better job on the outside. It's a lot easier installing on the outside. The light reduction is moderate, the color of the light is a little greyer, neutral. 
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Police should not be an issue with the windows on a trailer.  A TV or other vehicle, perhaps...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Just want to clarify the use of window film on the nuCamp acrylic windows.  As @jimcenname noted, the static cling film is fine to be used, but any window film that uses adhesive is not acceptable.  Apparently the adhesive can interfere with the out gassing of the window and cause ugly blistering, bubbling and other TaB window nightmares😐
  • Options
    @jimcenname - here is a photo of the 5% visible light Black Magic film.  This isn’t the best photo, but I think the visibility is decent.  You can see light around the edges as the window curves and the film ends.  Lots of glare at this time of day.  How is your exterior film working for you?

• Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I installed my exterior film similarly. On my front window I installed the film on the inside, what a pain that was. So far so good. I leave today for a trip. We'll see if the exterior film is still on the windows when I arrive at my destination!
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    KarenELeeKarenELee Member Posts: 12
    @Jimcenname we’re finding it very hard to get the Gila film on the large window over the bed, applying it outside. Do you have any pointers to make it easier? 
  • Options
    @KarenELee So much light comes in the rear window I chose to put light blocking film on it. The stuff I bought on Amazon had lots of body, stiffness, so it was easier to position than the Gila film. After doing the other windows with Gila I can see why the rear one is difficult with Gila. I found that neither film will stick in the sharp radius at the edges of the window so the I cut the film undersize for the flat part of the window only. I'm still pleased with both. Note, I have to replace the Gila film at least once per year. The light blocking film has been on at least two years.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WQFCCW9/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_B04DCNA1R0AP3XQX907Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    KarenELeeKarenELee Member Posts: 12
    @jimcenname thank you for the info. My husband has been working on the Gila film for 2 hrs. & still trying to get it right. I have a feeling he’s gonna give up soon 😊.  We’ll purchase the other film, thank you for the link.