Delayed Shore Power

The last time we came back from camping and plugged in to the house power, there was no power to our 2017 T@B S Max Outback.  We checked all the breakers and nothing seemed wrong there.  The next day I recalled that this had  happened once before, so I plugged in again and it worked.  We figured it was possibly a bad power cable.  I bought a new cable and dog bone.  Hooked it up today and no power to the T@B. The indicator light is lit on the power cable.  I tried the old cable and the same thing, no power.   I had a lot of other tasks to do so I moved on.  When I went back a while later, there was power.

Any ideas of what is causing this?  We're getting ready to leave on a week trip and I'm worried about not having power.  The battery power works ok.  

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,482
    Do you have a built in or portable surge protector?  There is a delay before power flows to the TaB.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,408
    edited May 2021
    Loose connection between the T@B's power receptacle and converter? Wouldn't be the first time.
    2015 T@B S

• dagitsdagits Member Posts: 10
    Sorry for delay in responding to your responses. I have a portable surge protector but I don't use it at home, which I now realize I should be.
    ScottG,  where do I find that connection?  
    dagits said:
    ScottG,  where do I find that connection?  
    There should be a large orange cable that comes out of the back of the converter and runs into the back side of the power receptacle on the outside wall. While it is possible to have a loose connection on either end, the one at the receptacle is the more likely culprit.
    2015 T@B S

Thank you ScottG.  I will have hubby look at it when he gets home.
    ScottG. I checked the connectors and they don't appear to be loose. Any other suggestions?  I unplugged the power to check the wires, now I don't have any power.  
    Hmmm. How did you check the connectors to see if they were loose?

The orange cable is clamped to the back of the receptacle. Inside that cable are three wires that connect to each of the three prongs of the receptacle. The cable itself can still be securely clamped, but one of the connections inside the receptacle may be loose. Checking these will require taking apart the back of the receptacle, which you may or may not feel comfortable doing.

However, before dissecting anything, are you absolutely sure power is getting to the end of your RV cable? It seems so, given that the power light is on, but ideally one would confirm that with a voltmeter if possible.

Also, in the interest of completely ruling out the simple stuff, are you absolutely sure the main 120V breaker in the T@B is completely on and not off or tripped? 
    2015 T@B S

ScottG.  Interestingly enough. I just went back out and there's power.  I don't know how long it took.  I stopped waiting after about 10 minutes.  

I definitely didn't disect into that much detail. That will definitely be a job for hubby.  I did double check the breakers and they were all on.   

I will share your info with my much more skilled husband when he's home from work and maybe we can dig deeper. 

Thank you so much for your time and patience.  We're heading out Friday after work and it's making me a little nervous.
    You are welcome. Good luck and report back what you find.
    2015 T@B S

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,482
    @dagits - try plugging into an outlet on a different circuit at your house.  Are you using any kind of extension cord?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Tried a different outlet, same result.  No extension cord except the adapter.