Options

Failed water pump after about 400 days of service

jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 274
As a T@B full-timer I had my first failed component. The Shurflo water pump in my 2019 T@B400 failed me. Full Disclosure, I live in my T@B and used the water tank and pump exclusively for my water source. I've done this for about a year. I noticed over the last month or so that the pump seemed slower. A couple days ago it began stuttering briefly after I turn a faucet off. I checked the voltage to the pump. It was fine. I adjusted the pressure settings to no avail. The wire sentiment screen on the inlet was clean. FYI, I filter and soften the water I put in the tank. The local RV supply store had the exact same model pump in stock. Installation was remarkably easy. It appears to work like new. Also, I used washers under the pump mounting screws. On the old pump the screws were deeply embedded in the rubber of the mounting bracket. The washers will reduce that. I expect more than 400 days of use from a pump but in the big picture it's not a big deal. Considering my lifestyle, a tank of water lasts me about 6 days. Pentair/Shurflo warranty is 2 years from the trailer manufacturing date. My T@B's manufacture date was 11/2018. I bought it new 9/2019..

2019 T@B400
TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
Southern California
Full-timer since 2019

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,525
    Are you sure they won’t honor the warranty?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    I'm curious. Did you disassemble the old one? There are a couple of small pressure ports in there (in addition to the main diaphragm) that can be replaced. Perhaps they, not the diaphragm, were the issue. On my pump, nearly every spring I have to take it apart and stab away at one of them to get it working.
    WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    Are you sure they won’t honor the warranty?  
    Sharon, I didn't ask, and I wanted to solve the problem quickly. I'm leaving on a series of trips today and didn't want to deal with it during my travel.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    WilliamA said:
    I'm curious. Did you disassemble the old one? There are a couple of small pressure ports in there (in addition to the main diaphragm) that can be replaced. Perhaps they, not the diaphragm, were the issue. On my pump, nearly every spring I have to take it apart and stab away at one of them to get it working.
    WilliamA
    William, I did, just out of curiosity, after I installed the new pump. While there was a little slime in the old pump, it was minimal and wiped away easily. Since I live in my T@B I usually take the most certain route to solving a problem. I replaced the pump yesterday and I am departing today for a series of trips.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019