Options

Water entering gray water tank under pressure

2»

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2021
    Sharon, I do not know about the 2021 TaB400, but on our Jan 2018 build, no overflow opening at or near the top of the gray tank.  We overfilled it once, and the gray water backed up in the shower, sink drain was slower working also.  No water draining or dripping from the bottom either.  When I drained the tank, shower and sink drained normally.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    I'm skeptical (though far from certain) about the installation of an overflow drain on the gray tank. Assuming the tank is otherwise properly vented, there would be no functional reason for this.

The only advantage would be that clueless owners could happily overfill their tanks without stinky gray water backing up into the shower. However, that means nuCamp intentionally included a system for spreading said extra gray water all over the ground--an unlikely scenario.

While I don't doubt that some have experienced what appears to be an overflow situation, I'm wondering if the root cause isn't an unintended leak at some fitting near the top of the gray tank.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited June 2021
    I’m skeptical about “an overflow opening” on the gray tank because of the many EPA rules and regulations that would violate. 

—changed quoted term to be in line with the actual description” of the problem. Verna
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna, I assume you mean you are skeptical about an overflow opening. The gray tank needs an atmospheric vent or else it would neither fill nor drain properly. However, atmospheric vents are typically higher than the top of the highest fixture.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you, @ScottG
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Not trying to be nitpicky, but there seems to be a number of competing ideas about how the gray tank on the 400 is actually plumbed, and the specifics seem relevant in this case.

I would not be surprised if there were manufacturing standards that prohibited the installation of an overflow given the potential for violating those EPA regulations. Not to mention the "ick" factor when you're the next camper on that site!  ;-) 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 497
    edited June 2021
    According to Raphael at NuCamp, there is not an intentional overflow opening at the top of the grey water tank; it should just back up into the shower pan.  Many people have attested to the fact that there is an opening, as the excess grey water drips out under the TAB, and the shower pan doesn't fill.
    I can only assume that NuCamp endeavors to seal all the plumbing openings into the grey water tank but don't always succeed, or that some connections shake loose after delivery.  Hence different owners have different experiences. 
    If you want to know which camp you are in, fill your grey water tank through a garden hose into your shower pan till the shower pan has an inch or two of water in it.  Then wait.  If the level goes down and you have a puddle under your trailer, you have an unintended leak.  This might be a warranty issue if your TAB is young enough.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    rh5555 said:
    According to Raphael at NuCamp, there is not an intentional overflow opening at the top of the grey water tank; it should just back up into the shower pan.  Many people have attested to the fact that there is an opening, as the excess grey water drips out under the TAB, and the shower pan doesn't fill.
    I can only assume that NuCamp endeavors to seal all the plumbing openings into the grey water tank but don't always succeed, or that some connections shake loose after delivery.  Hence different owners have different experiences.  
    I agree with you on this Verna and rh5555, no need to have two vents.  If you look at some of the TaB 400 assembly line videos (Paul the AirForce Guy) you can see the holding tanks vent connection pipe.  Both black and gray tanks are connected to a single ABS vent pipe running up behind the closet in the TaB400 and exiting on the roof.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    FiddlinmikeFiddlinmike Member Posts: 17
    What ever happened with this mystery?  Tinnitus describes a situation where his grey water tank filled with city water though he contends that no water ever came from an internal faucet (sink or shower).  The group seems to believe that is impossible.  Is it impossible to fill a grey water tank except through sink and shower drains?

Also, the group seems to believe NuCamp is accurate in saying there is no design for grey water tank relief (apart from air venting). That means overly full tanks will only result in water coming up from the shower drain and not under the trailer unless there’s a line break somewhere.

Here’s why I ask.  A couple of days ago I awoke to a full grey water tank that was most certainly not the result of conscious use. I was on city water. I disconnected on discovery and drove to a dump station with water streaming from the bottom of my 320 the whole way.  

In my case, I believe I know the cause.  The valve on my toilet feed was open slightly.  The bowl filled and ran over into the shower drain, slowly but for hours.  Still, I’m looking for confirmation that there’s no other possibility (no leaks from the kitchen sink faucet- I’m sure.)

The mystery of under trailer leaks remains.  I’m going to post about water pressure on another related thread.
    2019 Tab 320S towing with 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition (Turbo) - Abingdon, Virginia
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    @Fiddlinmike, I'm not aware of any resolution or further information on this issue, but I'm stickin' to what I (and others) said previously in this discussion:
    • There is no intentional connection between the fresh water supply and grey water tanks.
    • The only openings to the grey tank are the fixture drains, the atmospheric vent, and the dump valve.
    • There is no grey tank "overflow" other than the fixture drains and the atmospheric vent.
    I'm not claiming anyone is imagining this problem, but something else needs to be at play here. Possibly a break or disconnection somewhere, or (highly unlikely) someone made an extreme error during plumbing assembly.
    I agree the toilet overflow is the mostly cause of your grey tank filling up. The leak is a little more mysterious. Assuming it's related to the overflow (and that is an assumption) I'd guess (and it is just a guess) a crack in the grey tank itself, or a leak at one of the connections between the drain system and the the tank.
    So this remains a mystery. Please keep us posted on anything new you discover.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @Fiddlinmike
    You may want to take a look at the 3-part video by Mark on fixing & preventing shower drain leakage by Mark..
    https://youtu.be/OSmotwjvuGo?si=M0xSDBi8DLJutd8E
    It could explain your leakage from underneath & how to fix it.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    BridgerSunsetBridgerSunset Member Posts: 88
    Reading back through this thread made me wonder about this:

The black & gray tanks each have vent lines that are tied together prior to exiting the roof.  If that roof vent is blocked in some fashion, then trapped gas or air pressure will negate normal draining concepts, since balance & liquid heights are thrown off.  This may allow fluid columns to rise higher than normal gravity would allow, such as at the sink.  Not sure how the Hepvo works in gas or in an elevated pressure imbalance.

Would also explain the gushing when dumping the gray tank.  Could the tanks not be full of water, but rather gas under pressure, caused by heat and/or decomposing sewage?  

Further, if the black tank flush system is for all intents tied into that same blocked vent line, couldn't all tanks (gray and black)  backflow out to the Nautilus area & emerge from that flush connector?  This part is a little more problematic to rationalize, but still possible.

Or not ?!
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock  - Chev Silverado 3500HD 6.6L - Toyota 4Runner 4.0L
    SW Montana USA

• Options
    The vent is a pretty big diameter PVC pipe, but yeah, if it were somehow completely blocked it could cause some strange happenings with regard to draining.
    And while I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Nautilus, I suppose what you suggest regarding the flush system is theoretically possible (if not all that probable).
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    FiddlinmikeFiddlinmike Member Posts: 17
    Thanks, @ScottG and @BrianZ.  I’m pretty sure you’re right about full-tank leaking coming from cracks or breaks somewhere, not by connections.  I have pieced together a little about the strange problems I had with filling the tanks in the first place which I’m going to post shortly. 
    2019 Tab 320S towing with 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition (Turbo) - Abingdon, Virginia