Tire Jack for 2021 320 Boondock?

What is the best recommended jack for this trailer?
I don't want to carry a floor jack and it seems the bottle jack would not fit the jack point safely.
Going on our first trip in a few weeks and want to carry something ;-)

Many thanks!
Brent
2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
Toronto, Canada

Comments

• AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    edited June 2021
    My understanding is that you can lower the tongue, lower the rear stabilizer jack on the flat side and then raise the tongue jack until the wheel comes off the ground. Never try to lift with the stabilizer, but it will support the weight once it's extended. Never had to try this myself, Anyone else?
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• K_C_915K_C_915 Member Posts: 34
    New owner here too. Same trailer. For OldARs method would you unhitch?
    My understand from the manual is to chock the not flat tire,
    jack up the trailer via the flat bracket on the frame directly inboard from the flat. How do the experienced owners do this? I want to adjust the brakes soon.
    2021 T@b 320 S Boondock
    2020 F150 2.7l V6 Turbo
    Tucson, Arizona
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @AnOldUR and @K_C_915 the method of raising the T@B up on the stabilizers is no longer recommended. As the T@B’s weight has increased over the years, it is simply dangerous. Please use a Jack under the Jack point inside the tire location or under the frame in front of or behind the tire. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • K_C_915K_C_915 Member Posts: 34
    Thanks Verna. Safety first in jacking vehicles
    2021 T@b 320 S Boondock
    2020 F150 2.7l V6 Turbo
    Tucson, Arizona
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Thanks for the caution Verna.   I'll see if my bottle jack will work,  or figure something else out. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • RMoRMo Member Posts: 140
    We’ve used the jack from our Highlander, being sure to put it under the frame.  Worked fine.
    2019 T@B 400; 2017 Highlander

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    As much as a floor jack is a pain, it is the best, mostly because once tire is flat you likely can't get a bottle jack under proper location or if you can, it ends up being a two stage lift.

I looked at this issue quite a bit on my 400 and bought a low profile, high lift floor jack. I don't always take it, but if you want to have the right tool, it is probably the best tool for the tire change. If you have a Boondock model with bigger tires, you have to lift pretty high to get the tire off.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Some time ago I discovered the jack from my Ford F-250 was ideal for jacking the 400.  It has enough lift to get the wheel off the ground and has a saddle which fits nicely around the jacking point on the TABs.  Jacks seem to be hard to come by in the junk yards for some reason.  You might get one from Ford but I bet they are pricey.
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    edited June 2021
    Verna said:
    As the T@B’s weight has increased over the years, it is simply dangerous.
    Interesting. I believe this forum is where I read about the stabilizer method, but never saw the reversal from nuCamp. My T@B is a 2020 320S purchased used. When did nuCamp change position?

I can think of many ways to abuse this method. Wondering if nuCamp is just covering their butts from law suits caused by human error. Thinking you could get the wheel off the ground by lowering it onto the already extended stabilizer, but then lower it onto a block positioned at the jacking point before starting to work on it? It wouldn’t eliminate the risk of frame or stabilizer damage, but would prevent accidents while swapping out tires. Of course this is all hypothetical for someone caught without a proper jack. =)
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• I use the bottle jack from our Toyota 4Runner to jack up our 320. It works quite well on a concrete or paved surface. I carry a couple of pieces of 2x8 to put under the jack to stabilize it in case I have to jack up the trailer in gravel or dirt. 
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    @AnOldUR I've done the "stabilizer/tongue jack" lift several times, and it works just fine. Professional driver on closed course, do not attempt, of course.  It works easily on a nice flat driveway, but I'm sure it could be problematic in rougher terrain.  I think it is a good tool to have.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • SubieDooSubieDoo Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for this thread, as this was just on my mind.  My TV has run flat tires, so no jack in the vehicle.  Will a 2 ton bottle jack with about 13" max height provide enough height to raise a 2021 320 S BD? The next size up (4 ton) has a max height of 15.5".
    2021 320S BD
    TV: 2021 BMW X5 Drive 40i
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    @SubieDoo, I carry a 4ton bottle jack to get my 2019 boondock tires off the ground. The 2 ton jacks I could find near me didn't have enough lift. Whatever brand you buy, make sure you can get it under the lift point when the tire is flat. I measured the sidewall height of my tire and subtracted it from the distance between the lift point and ground... don't remember the exact numbers though

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
    @AnOldUR, there are directions to use the stabilizers on the forum and there are new directives not to do it on the forum. While I take great care in trying to keep new info correct on the forum (as do the other three of us), sorry, we don’t have time to go back through the older posts to correct information. 

I’ll leave searching the forum for the updated formation to you and others who can search quicker than I can. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 131
    Thanks everyone for the input..this seems another of those issues that NuCamp has not addressed fully....I will email them and ask them what kind of jack they suggest...odds they wont commit to a specific type!
    Brent
    Toronto, Canada
    I talked to NuCamp and they couldn't recommend a jack (liability no doubt), I did measure the distance from the ground to the jack point on a 2021Boondock and found it to be 11 1/4 inches with a fully inflated tire...does anyone know what kind of lift from a jack would be needed to replace a flat?....again, NuCamp could not give me an answer!
    Brent
    Toronto, Canada
  • George101George101 Member Posts: 48
    Where are the jack points on  a 320, again?
    @George101, the Jack points are an “L” shaped bracket inside each tire. Or, the frame in front of or behind each tire. 

Make sure your Jack fits under the Jack points BEFORE you leave on a trip. Points to check before the trip: is your Jack tall enough, is it strong enough, do you need to carry a sturdy piece of wood to put the Jack on (or can you use one of your Legos leveling blocks)

Above all chock your other tire before jacking, and be careful of traffic. I carry those orange flashing lights to make sure there is no reason for the traffic to not see me!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I haven't physically tried it, but I'm pretty sure the standard scissors jack that came with my vehicle (2015 Nissan Frontier) would do the trick.

The recommendation to lift the trailer with the stabilizer-and-crank method came from the original T@B owner's manual used from 2012 to 2016. The next version of the manual (2017-2020) included no instructions for lifting the trailer or changing a spare tire. The latest version (2021) added tire changing back in with the following, which recommend yet a different jack point from the oft-referenced L-bracket securing the axle. (You can access all versions of the owner's manuals here.)

Now you are ready to jack up the trailer. Place the jack on the chassis directly behind the wheel. Lift the trailer, being very careful that the jack does not slip off. Keep all body parts away from the area to avoid serious injury.

I think either location would work, but the L-bracket has the added advantage of being flat-bottomed (as opposed to the slightly sloping frame) so the risk of the jack slipping is reduced. 

I still routinely employ the no-longer-recommended stabilizer-and-crank method in my yard. l'm confident the stabilizers are up to the task when used in this manner on a 320, and I like the simplicity and three-point stability (but I'm not recommending anything and YMMV). However, this method requires unhooking the trailer--something I would prefer not to do on the side of a busy road!
    2015 T@B S
    Until I get this jack issue worked out, I will have roadside assistance as my backup!
    Toronto, Canada
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    This jack is what I use but the price is nuts! It will go under even when my tire is flat as that is when the trailer is at its lowest and some jacks just can't get under. Art 

ww.calcarcover.com/product/low-profile-billet-aluminum-jack/705
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    Here is a better link I hope! Art
    https://youtu.be/_4gdT8gjNaQ
    Thanks Art..will check it out!

Brent
    Toronto, Canada
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Pretty minimal lift on that compact jack, wouldn't you need to start with it on some blocks?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    @N7SHG_Ham  I carry 6 1/2 x 6 x 4 solid aluminum blocks just for that purpose.
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Could be my least elegant work ever, but seems like it will suffice.   I was determined to use my RAV4 scissor jack for my 320.  No way was the unmodified jack going to stay in place on the frame lift angle.  My slotted 2x8 worked in a driveway test,  and has earned a place in my travel box. I did roughly chisel the long shot to match the frame angle slope.  Kinda. Something I hope never to need,  and at my age,  that is a realistic hope! 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    edited June 2021
    gulfarea said:
    This jack is what I use but the price is nuts! It will go under even when my tire is flat as that is when the trailer is at its lowest and some jacks just can't get under. Art 

ww.calcarcover.com/product/low-profile-billet-aluminum-jack/705
    Yikes! You are are (excuse the pun) right on the money about the price of this jack!
    This one is also Al, but since it's hydraulic, a bit larger and heavier. At less than half the price of the calcover jack, and with much greater lift range, it imay be worth considering.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 191
    What are folks using for a jack?  The steel plate you can safely jack from is maybe 9" long and there is no way to get a jack and a jackstand together under it.  The clearance is a scant 11 inches. 

A standard wheeled hydraulic jack moves in an arc, precluding use of a jack stand.  Not safe to use by itself.

After having a piston hydraulic jack very slowly sink on me while working for an hour I barely rejacked from a 1/2" grab on the end with another device.  Very unhappy! 

I bought a combined jack/stand but its too tall at 11" plus, unless you drive the trailer up on blocks first.

A screw jack works but has a tiny foot and wants to rotate out as you operate it.

Looking for a better solution.  

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    I have a Honda Ridgeline and my bottle jack was able to lift my 2021 320 Boondock, however as one person pointed out. If and when I have a flat will the jack fit under the trailer. I havent been able to check that out yet but figured I could drive the flat wheel over a piece of 4x4or blocks to give me enough clearance. The Ridgeline jack is telescopic. 

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson