AC/DC converter fan

Our power converter fan will not stop running when plugged into shore power.  Had the Tab into service today and technician said the battery charge is great,  He said the fan running is normal, but continually running has just started...this has not been the norm.  Has anyone experienced this?

note: nothing else is in use.  This continuous running of the fan did not start until after a lightning strike in the area which tripped the gfi.
Sally & Deb - Woodland Park, CO - 2017 T@B S Outback pulled by 2015 Toyota Tacoma. 

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Sallybear5, I noticed this on my T@b about a month after owning. From everything I have seen, the fan running constantly is the norm.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Hmmmm - I'm usually not hooked into shore power but have been for the last couple of days and mine has hardly run at all.
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Once the battery is fully charged the fan should go off. It is needed for cooling maybe there s excessive heat in the compartment. Better that it stays on than not come on at all. Other than the noise no harm IMHO.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ours only runs if the battery is depleted a bit, and we're plugged into shore power. Once the battery's charged, it shuts off.

Maybe check the battery again? It might have a bad cell.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Could it be the surge protector putting out heat in there Jenn?
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Could it be the surge protector putting out heat in there Jenn?

It could be. I will have to check it out, again. Truthfully, when I have used it this year, the a/c has bee running, so I have not noticed the noise.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Maybe the charger/converter took a jolt from the lightning, have you tried disconnecting the battery to see if that makes a difference?  How about checking the voltage at your battery wires with the battery disconnected to check the output of the charger.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2015
    Our power converter fan will not stop running when plugged into shore power.  Had the Tab into service today and technician said the battery charge is great,  He said the fan running is normal, but continually running has just started...this has not been the norm.  Has anyone experienced this?

note: nothing else is in use.  This continuous running of the fan did not start until after a lightning strike in the area which tripped the gfi.
    The non-stop running of the WFCO converter's is normal as they will run to keep the converter cool when you are plugged into shore power.   On the positive side of this if you're not hearing any squealing from the converter (it's the death knoll) or experiencing issues with your 12 volt accessories you're in good shape.  And unless you have your battery turned off (via a battery switch or removing the fuse) there will be a certain amount of parasitic draw placed on it from things like the TV/DVD unit, your LED light circuitry, ALDE circuitry, etc. 

I think Dale's suggestion above (heat in the converter compartment) is probably accurate and right on too, as most of these electrical devices do tend to heat up some when plugged into shore power.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Sallybear5Sallybear5 Member Posts: 13
    Thank you all for your comments.  True, even though we live at 9700 ft., it is warmer now than the last time we connected to shore power so heat up in the compartment could very well be the contributing factor.  Deb just went out to open the compartment overnight to verify this.
    Sally & Deb - Woodland Park, CO - 2017 T@B S Outback pulled by 2015 Toyota Tacoma. 
  • mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    Ours only runs when the battery is on quick charge. Once the battry is charged, the fan shuts off. It could be the heat that is impacting the converter and may cause the fan to run regardless of the charge state of the battery. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    Just had a thought. Are you running the fridge on 12 volts?  If so, this will cause a continuous draw on the converter. If on shore power, switch to A/C. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk