Options

2005 T@B Cool Cat

My wife and I just bought a 2005 T@B. The owner died and it had been sitting about 7 years. After checking everything out we bought it. The one thing not working is the Cool Cat AC. The shop said the amperage was not enough for the compressor to kick in - so it needs to be replaced. Of course with COVID everything is back ordered with no arrival date. Does anyone with experience know if a different unit would work? If so, where can I purchase? Our T@B does not have a bathroom so the unit is located on the floor. I’ve included a picture. We have cleaned her up and added a Max-Aire fan since then. But with summer here we’re going to need the AC. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Paul
Paul

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    the Also, the CoolCat requires a 20-amp circuit for the compressor to kick on.  I would givebthat a try first.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BaoluoBaoluo Member Posts: 6
    that Thanks to you both! Denny do you mean check the fuses?
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I would stick with the cool cat if you can get it.  How are you trying to power it up.  Are you plugged into 30 amp circuit or 20 amp.  Ours will run on 20 amp but i put a dedicated 30 amp in.  the Cool Cat is a heat pump and depending on which one you have, 10,500 BTU of cooling.  Window units will not do that and you also loose a window unless you rig it where the cool cat is.  That causes other issues.  We had Cool cat in our 2013 T@B and have one in our 2018 , 400.  Love it!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    Baoluo said:
    that Thanks to you both! Denny do you mean check the fuses?
    No, I mean the shore power AC outlet you are using needs to be 20-amps, not the normal 12-amp household outlets most homes have.  It looks looks like this, with one horizontal slot, instead of two vertical slots:

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    One caveat to the above picture:  the outlet might have been changed at some point.  The circuit feeding that outlet is what you want to check.

• Options
    Yes, good point falcon1980.  Take a look at your circuit breaker for the outlet you are using, is should have a 20 on it instead of 15.
    cheers
  • Options
    BaoluoBaoluo Member Posts: 6
    Thanks so much everyone. I will check the outlets. And yes I want to keep a cool cat if at all possible. 
  • Options
    James_MacPhersonJames_MacPherson Member Posts: 7
    In general most A/C need a lot more power at startup than during run.  Shutdown EVERYTHING in the T@b except the A/C and give it a try.  The official startup Amps for a Dometic of that vintage is 2,800W, which is around 23 Amps.  Most household circuits don't have that, but none the less I can start my A/C on just a standard 15Amp household outlet.   Not being able to start doesn't mean the A/C unit is shot, just that you may have old household wiring.
  • Options
    James_MacPhersonJames_MacPherson Member Posts: 7
    You seem to be in the same area as my problem.  I need A/C, I have a 2200W generator.  Sometimes my Honda eu2200 is enough, sometimes not.  Official rated startup Watts for an eu2200 is 2,400 peak, and it will 'usually' start the A/C in my 2008 Dutchman.  I have contemplated replacing the A/C, but right now am researching the MicroAir EasyStart-364 unit.  That info should move you a good distance in the confusion on this.  I would like to keep the CoolCat, but I would also like to be able to run it reliably.