Options

Cool Cat compressor not staying on

rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
I'm trying to run our Cool Cat on shore power and the compressor will run for about 10-15 mins and then shuts off but the fan will keep running. It is about 90 degrees in the camper, 94 outside. When the compressor is running it blows about 65 degrees and the outside exhaust grill measures 150-170 degrees. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer? 
2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    rhyno, rhyno, do you have the TaB connected to a 20-amp circuit?  ThenCoolCat  needs a minimum of 20-amp AC circuit to run properly.  Also, did you take the outside cover off?  Kind of obvious, but I did that once, and the CoolCat quits after it gets overheated.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @Denny16 never hurts to ask. I am on a new 30 Amp 120 volt circuit at the house. My ems is reading about 1500-1600 watts and pulling 12-16 amps when the compressor is running. The outside cover is off. 
  • Options
    Good, just checking the obvious issues first.  I guess a trip to the dealer is next.
    Good luck, drive safe.
    cheers
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    I turned mine on yesterday for the first time this year and it also turned off after 10-15 minutes.  Yep I left the cover on!  After that happened to me yesterday I assume it turns off when it gets too hot?  Rhyno maybe yours is overheating some how??  After mine shut off the compressor would not turn back on.  I turned it off for several minutes then ran just the fan for about 10 minutes then turned the AC on and it works just fine now.   I wonder if it is the thermostat?  Try turning just the fan on and running the thermostat all the way down first then turn it to AC mode and see if it kicks on.  Just a thought. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Update: We had a storm roll through, dropping the outside temp a bit. The AC ran all afternoon and it was actually chilly inside. At this point it looks to be an overheating issue when the outside temp is above 85.
    This is really frustrating that I have to drive it in to the dealer to fix yet another issue. At this point we are barely 3 months in and have had issues with the inverter, water pump, toilet seal, and now the AC. I know these are all 3rd party accessories but the lack of quality is a real let down. 
  • Options
    Yes, it is a hassle, but worth getting it checked.  The CoolCat should work just as well in 85F as it does I. 75F temps.
    cheers
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 937
    Some effort to keep the exhaust air from recirculating into the cool air in on the outside grill makes a big difference  I had to get out my home made baffle this past week in hot humid conditions in Hot Springs AK.  Just like you stated, the compressor shuts down when it gets too hot.  You could sense the hot air cloud trapped in the grill area until I put the baffle in place.  Cooling quickly came back full force.
    The CoolCat is a bit different than my window AC retrofit.  The center is hot exhaust and the sides are cool air in on the CC.  Make a cardboard prototype to see what works.

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,204
    Denny16 said:
    rhyno, rhyno, do you have the TaB connected to a 20-amp circuit?  ThenCoolCat  needs a minimum of 20-amp AC circuit to run properly.  Also, did you take the outside cover off?  Kind of obvious, but I did that once, and the CoolCat quits after it gets overheated.
    cheers
    So I’ve been running our AC at home on a 20amp circuit but using an extension cord rated for 1250w/10a and the cool cat ran. Do you think I’ve done damage to the cool cat? Everything seems to have been running fine. Never had a tripped circuit.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    No, but the under sized ext. cord can heat up and is not a grand idea to use.  Get a larger 20 amp ext. cord.  A Yellow Jacket cable is available in 120 20amp size.
    Cheers 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @rfuss928 - Thank you for the suggestion! I tried a mock up cowl measuring 14x14x20 and the AC is working much better now. I have had it on for two days in the low 90s and the compressor is consistently running until it hits set point. With the cowl in place I can really feel the heat pouring out.
    At peak, the outer vent temp is reaching 105-120 degrees, inner is 145-165 degrees. I think 170-175 degree range I was seeing before may be the near the point where it was overheating previously and shutting the compressor down.
    Now that the AC can keep up, the inside vents are blowing 30s in the bed area and 40-55 for the front vents with a set point of 77 degrees.
    The cowl is attached with the same type of velcro I used for the AC cover and will attach pointing up or down. I opted to point up for my test runs since heat rises. I may go a little taller on the sides...I'm just not sure if it would make much difference? Anyway, once I settle on the measurements, I may do the real deal in coroplast given the light weight and high melt point (320F) according to the MSDS. I may even paint it with a high heat acrylic grill paint to match the Tab body.

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 937
    edited June 2021
    rhyno
    Nice!
    I find mine is very effective in high temps and still humid conditions.  My adapted window unit draws cool air from the top and sides of the case so the hood exhausts down in my case.  I don't think up or down makes any difference being fan forced and it sheds rain better down.  I had some 1/8 Luan plywood I spray painted then assembled with colored duct tape as hinges.  It stores flat under the cushions and hangs from a single hook slipped through the grill when in use.
    In yours I would consider that the outlet area should be similar to the area at the grill.  So much deeper.  I think that will make a big difference in airflow and a measurable difference in the air temps you measure.  Time for more cardboard prototypes!?
    Have fun!
    Bob