Options

BACK UP CAMERAS

ANY INSIGHT ON WHICH BACK UP CAMERAS WORK THE BEST? I HAVE A NEW 2021 T@B 400 AND AM PURCHASING A BACK UP CAMERA. GREAT INFO ON LEAVING THE BACK WINDOW SHADE OPEN FOR BETTER VIEWING OF WHAT'S BEHIND!
JAMIE H

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    We really considered a backup camera system for our 400 last year but after several trips using the stargazer window with shades up I really did not see a need. A person is a better spotter when backing into a site, and on the road the rear window gives an adequate view of how close someone is following. Now if you are traveling alone I can see how it could save some time. BTW as we get to the hotter months it is recommended you open the shades on all the windows while on the go anyway, to prevent heat buildup and possible warping. There is an incomprehensible pictogram on the windows that depicts this (for some of us). Good luck with your new rig. We love our 400.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    edited June 2021
    @qhumberd - the pictogram on the window is generic and only applies to those RVs that have shades that prevent appropriate airflow to the acrylic window - no worries with the TaB.  Feel free to use your shades to block the light/heat.  It is recommended to open all shades and screens during transit to prevent damage to the cording.

@Attitudegal54 - do a search for Backup Cameras and Rear View Camera. Lots of threads.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
    Just got this new AMTIFO A19 backup camera from Amazon.  Seems to work great! I tested it on my 2023 Tab 400 BD and it works great in the driveway. Will have to wait for Spring for road test.  No interference from my Tekonsha Prodigy wireless brake controller.

Amazon.com: AMTIFO Wireless Backup Camera Car Truck HD 1080P 7 Inch Monitor Easy Install Rear View Camera System 2 Channels Color Night Vision A19 : Electronics
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 985
    My wife is the best back up camera!  :)
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, mine too!  Like qhumberd, I open (retract) all the shades and screens when traveling and use the rear Stargazer window to see s2hat is behind me when towing the TaB.  Whilst backing up, my spouse spots for me, or I spot for her.  We have little radios to talk with each other, if needed, but as a former train conductor, her hand signals are quite clear.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    Before owning our Tab 400 we rented a couple of tandem-axle Airstreams with backup cameras. Maybe it’s me, but I did not find them that useful. Relied mostly on the TV’s side mirrors and spouse’s help. Definitely don’t miss having one with our 18’ Tab.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    Denny16 said:
    ... but as a former train conductor, her hand signals are quite clear.
    Does she give lessons? =)

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    Have backup camera on my TV and like it. Very handy. Put a Garmin backup camera in our T@B and find it very useful. I have a Garmin GPS in my tow vehicle so didn't have to have another display on my dash just for the camera. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    edited April 2023
    Have backup camera on my TV and like it. Very handy. Put a Garmin backup camera in our T@B and find it very useful. I have a Garmin GPS in my tow vehicle so didn't have to have another display on my dash just for the camera. 
    Same. Works great and uses the Garmin GPS as the display. Camera over the license plate and transmitter on the front next to the tub.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    TABNewbiesTABNewbies Member Posts: 90
    Tried out the AMTIFO A19 backup camera from Amazon from @DaveC above and worked well. I used it from the rear T@B400 window as follows for easy install. I already had put a 12V socket above the fridge before, as part of installing a switch to turn off the Jenson. If mounted on the actual license plate then would need to move the license plate lamp or the camera as would clash. 

Here is how camera mounted on a sheet of black 
    plastic (stops the glare reflecting back from the window):

Then in place in the rear window, the shade pulled up just a touch:

The monitor output was always clear (6 hours of driving, no issues) and helped general driving just like a rear view mirror. 

Overall I felt it was helpful addition and did fill the blind spots. The AMTFIO unit was just plug and play and I await the additional camera offered for free to fit onto our car with no back up camera.
    2021 T@B 400 BD T@bitha with 2016 Highlander
    Juliet and Andy in Massachusetts
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    Like @SLJ and @rcarlson1957, we've been using the backup camera feature on our Garmin. Works well with the Wrangler, but we just purchased a Cherokee that has built in GPS. Is there any way to put a camera on the back of our T@B that will display on the Cherokee's screen?

We're not really interested in a camera for backing up, but would like something that will stay on full time for keeping track of tailgaters.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 152
    @TABNewbies I originally had an old camera (that I sold off) mounted high up (to avoid headlights at night) on the rear inside window. I am interested in how you mounted the camera and the black plastic piece installation (since one issue I did have was glare). I can't really make it the method, could you include a bit more detail/pics when you have a chance? Thx 
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I mounted my camera on the back of the fan pointing to the rear and installed a nylon shade to keep the sun from damaging the camera. It was easy to hook up as the fan has 12 volt power and I added a switch on the fan with a fuse to turn it on while traveling. So far working very well. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Dame_plumeDame_plume Member Posts: 75
    I have the Furrion camera installed behind my T@b and always running.  The connexion to the display is excellent and never dropped.  I do like to be able to see behind me while driving on busy highways but I find that the display is always a bit too dark for my liking despite all possible adjustment I did.
    Sylvie and Mike, Ontario, Canada / 2020 Tab 320S (Charlie) / 2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT (V6) Enhanced Towing Package
    "The only place where you start at the top is when you dig a hole"