Options

Victron Smart Shunt Midpoint or Individual Battery Monitoring?

Getting ready to install the Victron Smart Shunt. Just a little stumped on if I should wire it to monitor midpoint connection to (2) 6v batteries or wire it to monitor both batteries individually. I have a 2021 400 BD.
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    williedeanwilliedean Member Posts: 13
    Your 2021 400 BD has 2 6v batteries wired in series. Electrically this is the same as one 12 V battery. So as you follow the installation instructions, you will ignore the connection between the two batteries.  You will connect the red voltage monitoring cable from the shunt to the positive side of the first battery in series. The shunt will be installed in series between the negative of the second battery and the negative of the electrical system.  (Black cables in diagram).

SS_Loads___Chargerspng
    2021 T@B 400 BDL (June 2020) - "Sojourner"
    2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6 
    Cincinnati, OH
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited June 2021
    With only 2 batteries I'm not sure there is much benefit to "mid-point monitoring". This is typically used on larger more expensive battery banks to allow a closer "look" at the health level of the individual batteries or individual groups of batteries. 

Mine is wired exactly as @williedean has posted above in our 2020 TAB 400 BDL. I did buy the temperature sensor input since I am installing 2 x Battleborn 100 AH batteries next week. Even though Battleborn has an excellent BMS (Battery Management System) that will prevent charging if the battery temperature is not high enough, I want to be able to monitor the effects of running the Alde in colder temperatures to see the effect it has on the temperature in the battery compartment. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Your 2021 400 BD has 2 6v batteries wired in series. Electrically this is the same as one 12 V battery. So as you follow the installation instructions, you will ignore the connection between the two batteries.  You will connect the red voltage monitoring cable from the shunt to the positive side of the first battery in series. The shunt will be installed in series between the negative of the second battery and the negative of the electrical system.  (Black cables in diagram).

SS_Loads___Chargerspng
    Thanks guys! Saved me from doing more work than necessary.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    @williedean @Dutch061
    Does it matter if I mount the shunt within the battery compartment? I'm noticing a lot of pics where the shunt is mounted outside of the battery box in the adjacent inverter compartment. 

2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    You can mount it wherever it is most convenient to make the installation. On mine, it is under the bed with everything else (TAB 400 BDL) and I didn't install the gauge either. I use the Bluetooth application but have been thinking about running the wire and installing. It's just a pain in the butt to take the microwave out etc. to get it done.

Brad 
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Dutch061 said:
    You can mount it wherever it is most convenient to make the installation. On mine, it is under the bed with everything else (TAB 400 BDL) and I didn't install the gauge either. I use the Bluetooth application but have been thinking about running the wire and installing. It's just a pain in the butt to take the microwave out etc. to get it done.

Brad 
    Ok, great. I think mounting it within the battery box would be the easiest. At some point if/when we upgrade to lithium maybe it will get in the way? Maybe not. 

Yeah, I debated on getting the display but being really particular I'd want it by the other gauges at the entrance. My justification for not doing it is I always have my phone on me and the gauge only seems useful for at-a-glance checking of the battery charge. I know the included battery gauge on the 400 isn't accurate but it at least gives me some idea on where the charge is at. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Yes, and chances are of you upgrade to Lithium that you will want to put them inside where they are much more difficult for someone to borrow without the intent to return. 

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    I installed the shunt in the battery compartment - seems to work fine.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida
  • Options
    @rrcbov My installation pretty much looks just like yours. Everything turned out great. Wish the range was a little better but just glad to get it installed.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    @rrcbov, looks great! I had previously installed mine on the floor ahead of the battery power distribution block because I didn't want to remove the panel to access the battery compartment. For once something I done previously worked to my benefit for a future upgrade. The Battleborn batteries leave no room in the battery compartment for anything but the batteries. 

Brad
    Concord, NC