Options

Norcold N3104 Replaced with Isotherm Freeline 115 in T@B 400

We were able to find a shop willing and able to do the refrigerator removal and replacement. A nuCamp dealer would not do the work unless we purchased refrigerator through them. That ship had already sailed. It took 10 plus hours scouring internet to source a perfect fit fridge (was tipped off by someone on this forum). Hate to think what cost would have been if dealer had to do the sourcing.
Norcold 3-way had nice safety features built in by nuCamp. A wood frame had to be removed as well as a metal vent. Both prevented exhaust from propane burner from coming into cabin. Other than that, the rest of removal and installation was straightforward.
Below is a table of hourly readings from 6/17/21 and single early morning reading from 6/18/21. Below that is a graph of temperature readings for easier viewing. Here are conditions that set up the hourly readings:
*Projected high temperature was 92 degrees (fell short, unlike most of west). Also, unexpected, significant night cooling.
*Refrigerator was set to highest setting on 120V and run night before
*At 5:45 a.m., 1.5 gallons ice was added to freezer and 1.5 gallons 35 degree F water was added to refrigerator (as cold ballast). Trailer unplugged to switchover to 12V power. Refrigerator temperature was 34 degrees F at this time.
*Trailer parked in full sun with solar panel pointing east.
*Located at 6100 ft. elevation
*Bluetooth Inkbird sensor inside refrigerator. Tested with bulb thermometer. Refrigerator never opened during test.

Conclusions:
*Expensive, but worthwhile. Will make sure the 34 - 39 degree range is sustainable as it is forecast hotter today.
*Steady refrigerator temperature below upper food safety limit of 41 degrees is what we were looking for.
*12V power consumption was lower than expected. But solar panel pointed east on nearly longest day of year is as good as it gets.
*If we go to AZ at end of February for wife's birthday, will bring generator just in case.
*Ideal set up for our climatic conditions would have been T@B 400 with 2-way fridge, rooftop solar (for home and on road) with auxiliary portable solar panel/controller for campsite (so trailer can be parked in shade). We're working on that.
*In our case, Norcold was unreliable. Range for temperature within any hour was plus/minus 7 or 8 degrees. Cabin temperatures over 90 degrees sent fridge beyond 41 degrees. Upper 90s sent fridge over 60 degrees for hours. Cabin temperatures in the upper 40s sent fridge below freezing.
2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Please post a photo of the new fridge installed, sounds like a replacement nüCamp can use.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    @johnfconway, Nice job! Yes, please attached a couple of photos. We have the smaller compressor refrigerator in our 400 and it just works! I may do the digital control upgrade but based on what I have seen so far, it is good enough.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited June 2021
    Photos below. Center latch, but you grab to open from side. Photo #2 shows freezer and refrigerator "ballast" as well as sensor. Took a shelf out to fit in the big water containers. The only gap on the face was at top. The shop had a nice moulding strip to close gap. More space in back. The two outside vents are a bonus.
    Norcold was 3.7 cu. ft. (104 L). This one is 4.06 cu. ft. (115 L).
    Learned something important today. Cabin temperature peaked at 104 degrees. I opened fridge to see what it would take to change door swing. Ramifications of opening door allowing in 104 degree heat in a volume of 4.06 cu. ft. is monumental! A lot different than opening a 23 cu. ft. house fridge and allowing in 72 degree air. Wow... stay the heck out 'til sometime in the evening. The 5 degrees of temperature gain took a good while to come back down.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    The the big freezer eats up a lot of space, and the door opening the wrong way round is not good.  Hope you can get that sorted. 

I think I am going to stay with my hanging locker wardrobe unit, and the smaller 2-way fridge, which appears to have the same useable fridge space, as your new replacement fridge has.
    cheers
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Denny16 said:
    I think I am going to stay with my hanging locker wardrobe unit, and the smaller 2-way fridge, which appears to have the same useable fridge space, as your new replacement fridge has.
    cheers
    We too would have gone with smaller two-way fridge and wardrobe. Purchased trailer in April, 2020 when world was still Covid dazed and confused. RVs had not yet gone through the roof and dealers were actually making deals on prior year inventories. Unfortunately only boondock models with 3-way fridges and solo models were available. I still don't understand the solo, so 3-way fridge it was. Savings went to fridge replacement.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I like the Solo John, it gives a nice two bunk option, larger fridge with a layout that looks more open, but you loose the hanging locker area also.
    cheers
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    @johnfconway, looks great! and having a larger freezer would be fine with me. However, we also have the smaller 2 way refrigerator but it has been the best refrigerator in the 4 RV's I have owned. It just simply works! I may look at adding an ICECO when we finally get moving if I struggle at all with refrigerator space, or I may just carry one of the 2 Yeti's I already own. Hopefully, more to come on the extended trips in the near future!

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC