Options

Shopping List

I've been a T@B owner a few months now and have purchased a "few" things. I've read the
forum almost daily and learned a lot of valuable information. What I would like to know is if
anyone has put together a list of items to purchase based on importance so as to know what
 to buy first and perhaps why?  I think that would be helpful to us newbies and also help us
understand the inner workings of these m@rvelous campers. Thank you. 

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Let's see...do I really want to write down everything that I've purchased over the past couple of months waiting on my T@B?

Sewer hoses (a 15' and a 10' sections work well), extra caps, a back-flush connection and the little graduated stand to help with giving the hoses a downward slant to the sewer connection.  Rubber gloves for emptying the hoses and hand cleaner for after you're done.

A potable 25' water hose, a Y hose connection, a short potable hose, a spray attachment, a pressure valve to make sure you don't get too much water pressure, a water filter.

Proper sized sheets, blankets, and bedspread and bed pillow(s). 

A level--take your pick.  I still rely on my torpedo level because I know it's accurate, but I have a "T" shaped level to screw onto the tongue that I want to attach.  My driveway isn't level and I think I'll wait until I camp the first time and have to level the T@B before I do mount it.

Wheel chocks--a must.  I bought 4 of them, and I'll put a length of paracord between two of them so that if I take one out, I won't forget the other.  And, I found RED chocks!

Locks for your T@B.  I use a tire lock, and I have to purchase a tongue lock (I got the wrong size).  The ball lock that I bought is the correct one. This is personal preference.

A rug or a bathtub mat for the shower for the S models.  It was raining when I camped for the first night and I couldn't find the bathtub mat that I just knew I had put in the truck (I left it at home).  It makes for an easy to clean way to keep the area in front of the toilet clean as you track in dirt from outside. 

Single ply toilet paper or RV toilet paper.  I was shown that you put a couple of pieces of your TP in a closed jar of water and shake it a few times.  The TP should pretty much disintegrate into itty bitty pieces and that makes it a good RV TP.

Either packets or liquid to keep the smell of your black water tank and gray water tank under control.  Also, toilet bowl cleaner for the RV toilets that are plastic.  You can't always use the same type you use at home.   

A vent cover for your Fantastic Fan so you can use the fan in any type of weather.  I just finished putting the AeroFlo vent on my new T@B. I love the aerodynamic looks of the AeroFlo.  This is optional, but it sure comes in handy for those stormy days/nights that you need some fresh air inside.

Be sure to take your new T@B to have the tires (including the spare) balanced.  No, the tires are not balanced before they leave the factory.  This is a fact, and please accept it.  It only cost me $39 to have all three tires balanced yesterday at an auto repair business.  I trust them and know they will do as they say.

A surge suppressor.  Do a search on it here on the T@B forum because there is a lot of information here about the type and why.

A battery shut off switch.  This is so the "parasitic" power draws like from the sound system, the TV, the CO alarm, etc. won't drain the battery.  Just make sure you turn the switch back on when you get ready to tow so that your tow vehicle will charge your battery as you're driving.

A brake controller.  Do a search here.  Once again, there are many different ones.  But check first to see if you have surge brakes because you don't need a brake controller with surge brakes. You cannot tow your T@B legally in most states without brakes since it weighs over 1,500 lbs.  So, you must be able to activate your brakes with a controller if the brakes are electric.

Enough?  More suggestions?  Yup, I read a lot here on the T@B forum and this is where I learned pretty much all of the above.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Patti, I thought about using the microfiber dish mat, but I had the clear plastic bathtub mat (the kind with the suction cups on the underside) and it looks like it will work fine.  I haven't figured out if I will cut it to size or just let one end of it drape over the rise in the floor at the outside wall.  Easy to clean, easy to drip dry.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Lists, I'm weird, I like lists.

Be it my big RV, my motorcycles, sailboat, kayaks, the T@B, you name it, I have always made lists of everything I need, wish to buy and every modification I think I want for those activities over the years.  I do this in Excel and it is a moving target, I adjust it into priorities of the most important items and add and subtract items as needed.  During each trip Val and I list everything we  need or wish to change and I then adjust the master list.  Honestly, I even put my dream modifications and purchases on the list but those rarely come to fruition.

I find it a fun evening  activity.  The process of taking the time to think through what you may or may not need really gets you prepared.  
  • Options
    When I cleaned out my Silver Shadow, I was truly amazed at how much "junk" I was carrying around.  As I'm putting the essentials into the T@B, I'm truly trying to make sure I "need" each thing.  I probably do need to start a list of actual needed things.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Verna said:
    When I cleaned out my Silver Shadow, I was truly amazed at how much "junk" I was carrying around.  As I'm putting the essentials into the T@B, I'm truly trying to make sure I "need" each thing.  I probably do need to start a list of actual needed things.
    Each new activity, especially if it involved traveling, I always found myself chucking items after a period of time when I realized I never used them.  My logic was that if it really became needed on the road I would just buy it someplace.

Heck, Val and I just sold our house we raised our kids in, 35 yrs we were in that house.  It was amazing how much stuff we sold, gave to Good Will or threw out.  I never want to move houses again!
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Here are some other things to add to your list...

Spare fuses, duct tape
    30 Amp 25 foot extension cord (sometimes the power pole is too far away)
    I have a bin with extension cords, the nail type tent stakes, a stake mallet, some string lights
    A bag of 1000 8" cable ties. I use lots of those
    A pair of wire cutters to cut off the cable ties
    Mini tool set, a couple of screwdrivers, a pair of pliers, a set of allen wrenches
    50' of cable coax
    A 30 Amp to 50 Amp adapter (I've arrived at campgrounds that only had 50 Amp, or the 30 Amp was bad at the site)
    A 30 Amp to 15 Amp adapter to plug into a standard house outlet
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    A BAL Leveler!!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    I also keep a headlamp flashlight and a pair of electronics "grippy palm" gloves (very thin) in my glovebox. That way when I arrive at the campground after dark, can grab that for plugging in and wear the gloves for hitching and unhitching so I don't trash my hands
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    Hey, everyone!  Thank you so much, especially Verna, for the "list."  I'm so thankful to the members of this forum.  I'm almost 68 years old and this is my very first camper and I'm having the time of my life!
    Martha in Pittsfield, VT w/Mahit@ble '15 CS Max
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92
    Patti said:
    Verna, are you talking about using the bath mat IN the shower? I'm talking about what you step out on to dry off.

A small bathroom rug should do the trick. I buy them at Big Lots. Inexpensive, useful, washable.
  • Options
    Patti, I was talking about inside the shower. It was raining and I did track in some dirt into the bathroom/shower floor. That's where I put the rubber mat do I could easily clean up the footprints. 

Now it makes sense to have the microfiber mat outside the shower. Yes, good idea. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Patti, can you come and help me with organization????
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    Me, too, Patti!  Amazing!
    Martha in Pittsfield, VT w/Mahit@ble '15 CS Max
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I can't believe how much space was freed up by putting in the wire racks in my under sink storage area. I now have a lot more room for food.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Also, don't worry about getting it all right at once. I've had my T@B 8 years and I'm still adding, adjusting, taking away, and getting different "stuff" when I see new ideas.

My biggest pet peeve is moving something to get to something else, so I've spent a lot of time, adjusting storage to opening a drawer, getting something off of a hook, or whatever it takes. I've added outside storage hatches for under the benches, got rid of the table and put plastic drawers under the bed, put plastic drawers in the closet, and put mini plastic drawers in the upper kitchen cupboards. I've added hooks for keys, my toothbrush, my rain jacket on the outside, added a spice rack to the back wall of the kitchen and inside a cabinet door, etc, etc.

It just takes time to see what works for you and how you like to camp!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Verna said:

Be sure to take your new T@B to have the tires (including the spare) balanced.  No, the tires are not balanced before they leave the factory.  This is a fact, and please accept it.  It only cost me $39 to have all three tires balanced yesterday at an auto repair business.  I trust them and know they will do as they say.

Hi Verna and all - Thanks for sharing your list.  Definitely have learned from you and much more to be learned.

I am taking delivery on T@B S Sofitel Saturday from Prince Craft in Austin/Round Rock.  It will be our very first RV (and new to Camping).  I was told the tires do not need balance as they had been done at factory alreay.  Now I wonder if I should do the balance.  Is it different from buying new car?

Please advise, thanks.

2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    Plays, sorry, to disagree with whomever told you the tires are balanced at the factory, but they are not balanced at the factory.

Two of my 3 T@B's tires (all new) needed the weights on them. The third tire, for some miraculous reason, was perfect and did not need weights added to
    them. 

My Silver Shadow's new tires (twice, so that makes 4 tires) were not balanced, and they are the same tires used on the T@B.  

Should you find weights on your tire rims, then I will stand corrected. If you do have weights from the factory, then I stand corrected, and please post pictures. 

Balancing your our tires will help them last longer. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - Thanks.  We meet dealer -Prince Craft in Austin 1-4pm for orientation and pick up.  Will ask and post photo later.
  • Options
    I started a list and a lot of others had helpful ideas on this, too http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/636/for-new-t-bbers-what-do-i-need-to-get-t-b-supply-list/p1

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn - would you please provide the link/model of your Amzon $50 cover?  Thanks.
  • Options
    It was a "one a day" deal through woot (owned by Amazon.) No longer available.

• Options
    Verna said:
    Plays, sorry, to disagree with whomever told you the tires are balanced at the factory, but they are not balanced at the factory.

Two of my 3 T@B's tires (all new) needed the weights on them. The third tire, for some miraculous reason, was perfect and did not need weights added to
    them. 

My Silver Shadow's new tires (twice, so that makes 4 tires) were not balanced, and they are the same tires used on the T@B.  

Should you find weights on your tire rims, then I will stand corrected. If you do have weights from the factory, then I stand corrected, and please post pictures. 

Balancing your our tires will help them last longer. 
    Hi Verna - Attached is photo of my wheel.   Both the sales and tech said no need to balance. 

However,  the tech suggested to use a torque wrench to check and tight prior to each trip.  I never used one before so I went to Sears.   I was asked the size and spec questions that I got no idea. And the torque wrench is $79 on sale not counting the socket (no idea what size).

Do you do this as the tech suggested?  What torque wrench, socket to buy and what spec?

Hope you all can advice as I do not want my wheels to go off while traveling on interstate. 

TIA

• Options
    Verna said:

A vent cover for your Fantastic Fan so you can use the fan in any type of weather.  I just finished putting the AeroFlo vent on my new T@B. I love the aerodynamic looks of the AeroFlo.  This is optional, but it sure comes in handy for those stormy days/nights that you need some fresh air inside

How to install?   Do you have to drill holes?  Where to buy?

Thanks 

• Options
    If you search for AeroFlo (upper right hand corner of this page), there is a great deal of information here on how to install the AeroFlo vent cover.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    So, I've read with interest the discussion about battery cutoff switches.  Besides an occasional outlet and light switch, I don't do a lot of wiring.  I understand the concept here and saw the talk about putting one inside the camper, but I'm unsure about how this would be mounted inside my Propane/battery area.  I saw a number of different types too.  Before I order one, does anyone have pics about where on the positive line does it go and do you add more wire or just put it in the existing line.  I've just been taking out the fuse, but it is appealing to just have to turn a switch..  This is the shut off I'm considering...

At work I used to just "fly" in there, but now I think long and hard before doing something.  I've checked out youtube, but I'd like to see how it goes in a Tab....

I've had my battery go dead once... I don't want it repeated...

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,452
    I just installed this same switch over the weekend. Like a few others here, I opted to mount mine inside on the panel under the driver's side bench (between the propane detector and the 120V outlet).

In that location, all I had to do was insert it into the positive line from the battery that runs right behind the panel. This required a) cutting the line; b) adding about 12" of 10AWG wire to one end to provide a little extra working room; and c) adding ring terminals to the ends so the lines could attach to the studs on the back of the switch. All the connections were made using heavy-duty crimp fittings and a ratcheting crimper.

I did take some photos, but they are not accessible at the moment. Let me know if you need them, or want more info. I agree that the switch is a much better option than always having to pull the fuse or disconnect the battery.

Others have mounted their switch in the front tub using various methods. The methods for adapting the wiring would be the same, though there has been robust discussion as to whether the switch should be installed on the negative or the positive line. I'll let others resume that debate if so inclined.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/36480/#Comment_36480

A quick search for "cutoff" (upper right corner of this page) brings up many previous posts concerning battery cutoff switch questions with answers and how and where to install. The link is the the second link in the list. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2016
    Okay, thanks..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited May 2016
    TerryV6 said:
    I "did" do that search and "did" read those posts.  I did "not" start a new discussion.  I didn't see any pics on how it was done.  Only a discussion on putting a switch inside the camper, which Scott was friendly enough to answer.  If you didn't want to answer, you did not need to tell me what I ready tried to do.  I saw your pic, but that wasn't too informative, was it? Just that it was inside the tub.  Which wire... Where?   Also saw a lot of hits  saying to get one...
     Sorry I asked...
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/20026/#Comment_20026

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/36480/#Comment_36480

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TerryV6 said:
    So, I've read with interest the discussion about battery cutoff switches.  Besides an occasional outlet and light switch, I don't do a lot of wiring.  I understand the concept here and saw the talk about putting one inside the camper, but I'm unsure about how this would be mounted inside my Propane/battery area.  I saw a number of different types too.  Before I order one, does anyone have pics about where on the positive line does it go and do you add more wire or just put it in the existing line.  I've just been taking out the fuse, but it is appealing to just have to turn a switch..  This is the shut off I'm considering...

At work I used to just "fly" in there, but now I think long and hard before doing something.  I've checked out youtube, but I'd like to see how it goes in a Tab....

I've had my battery go dead once... I don't want it repeated...

That is the one I use. I mounted it in the side of the battery box.