Frayed Brake Wire on 2021 400 BD!!

manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
Long story short, I was under the camper today to adjust the drum brakes as one side seemed to be hotter than the other side (and had some burning brake smell) after our past weekend trip. I figured the brakes could use an adjustment. Easy task.

While under the camper today I noticed the brake wire had so much slack in it that it was rubbing against the tire and is nearly split! 

Some of you may have seen my post about the quality control issues we've been having with out trailer:
https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/13753/400-amazing-trailer-terrible-qc#latest

The issues before seem minor now compared to this one. I'm sure I can splice the wire back together somehow but how do you leave a wire hanging with so much slack? Common sense would tell you it's going to rub against the tire. 

I'm posting this as a caution for anybody who cares to go and check the slack on your electric brake cables and secure them so they aren't dangling. I've got an email into to NuCamp to see what they have to say. 

Just when we were starting to turn a corner and beginning to enjoy this trailer, I find this.

2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 361
    I feel your pain @manyman297.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Ouch!  Glad you caught that.  Good reminder to check the brake wires.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Quick update. NuCamp reached out and was apologetic about the mishap. I was able to make the repair myself which involved cutting both wires (to shorten the overall length) and using waterproof heat shrink butt connectors and then heat shrinking the entire wire assembly again in a heat shrink tube. 

Nucamp did a good job on the heat shrink tubing but I was surprised they didn't use waterproof butt connectors. The black tubing isn't necessarily waterproof so using waterproof connectors is good practice. 

But I'd definitely check your rig and make sure there isn't a ton of slack in your brake wire assembly. I can't imagine we were the only ones with this issue.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
    One additional update. Prior to fixing this brake wire I had to dial up my brake controller to 10 or so to get stopping power. After fixing it I've had to reduce the power down to 2.5 (I was chirping my trailer tires at 3.5). So clearly I was losing power due to the frayed wire. 

A new issue I'm now working out is why the passenger brake drum gets hotter than the drivers. Stay tuned. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • William_KeeverWilliam_Keever Member Posts: 37
    manyman297, how do you know one side is getting hotter than the other? Are you using some type of thermal imaging device or are you touching the brake drum with your hand?
    @William_Keever Thermal imaging device. Those infrared ones. I took some baseline temps driving a certain distance. I then backed off the star wheel a few clicks and did the same route noting the temps. Definitely much less heat on the passenger side but still maybe a 20% difference after downhill braking. Backing off the brake controller solved the super high temps I was getting (160 driver vs. 227 passenger at one point) but still seeing higher temps on the right side. No dragging though which is reflected in highway driving (minimal braking). Maybe a 5-10 degree difference between the two.

Interestingly my Tacoma has the same issue but just not as extreme. Maybe a 10% temp difference after some spirited braking. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • William_KeeverWilliam_Keever Member Posts: 37
    @manyman297 Which thermal device do you use? I might want to get one. 
    @manyman297 Which thermal device do you use? I might want to get one. 
    Mine is the same brand as this but older model I think:

Limited-time deal: Etekcity Infrared Thermometer 749 (Not for Human) Temperature Gun Non-Contact Digital Laser IR Thermometer-58℉~ 716℉ (-50℃ ~ 380℃), Standard Size, Black-Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZ1849H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dl_A2H6C6N9MPSKXNP0QCKT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 32
    Glad I saw your posting. I checked my 2021 TAB320S, with about 400 miles on it, and same issue on passenger side. Wires were bared, but not broken, so I covered with electrical tape and secured them closer to the outlet, hope that is all that is necessary.
    2021 TAB 320S  Boondock
    edited July 2021
    Yeah, it was just dumb luck I was under there checking why one brake drum was hotter than the other. Pretty frustrated by a lot of the little things we're finding wrong on the trailer but trying to stay optimistic. 

—edited to remove unnecessary and incorrect disparaging remark about nüCamp’s quality control —Verna, T@B Forum Administrator 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
    @Verna that comment may be disparaging but might not be incorrect. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 191
    We had precisely the same problem on Feb. 2021 TAB 320S.  Passenger side electric brake wire factory installation was faulty.  The teeny plastic split pin in harness intended to hold slack in place fails on bumps and wind.  The wire sheathing ground off against tyre and nearly half the copper.  Amazingly still had electrical connection but soent two miserable afternoons in very cold altitudes splicing in sound cable.  As designed there us no sound way to keep cable in place!
    This is a MANUFACTURER DEFECT and lifesafety issue.
    Nucamp told us we are not warranteed, having bought a thirty day old secondhand trailer from original buyer.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 191
    We too sre pretty frustrated at the many things poorly installed.  Tray with sheetmetal screws. 
    Lift insert in spare tyre has diameter 6 mils greater than hub opening and forces spare cockeyed until laboriously removed, ground with angle grindrr, and reinstalled requiring $73 cable swedging tool.  Useless rear aluminum rack misfabricated in factory but installed anyway with foot bolted to trailer at 42 degree angle rather than aligned.  Door trim with failung doublestick tape.  Unresolved NO PROPANE AT ALTITUDE, WELL KNOWN.  Unresolved Alde thermostat reading way off tens if degrees 
    Trailer jack does not clear tailgates of Tacoma, Ranger, other half ton trucks... Does no one tow with these?  

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• This also happened on my 2019 400. I got a brake failure warning on my brake controller.