Options

Has anyone considered upgrading to 50 amp service ?

While we were out on a trip this week, the Cool Cat going, the alde on electric at level 2 electric and thinking about using the microwave or induction cook top, I looked at the Victron  battery monitor. 

What would need to be changed to change out the 30 amp to a 50 amp?  Converter panel, power cable and connector and what else?

What do greater minds than mine think?
2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Hmm, I am not sure if their is much benefit for 50 Amp with a single air conditioner. The converter doesn't need to be changed but I think you will need to upgrade the power distribution center along with the power cord and connector on the side of the tab.

Were you having issues when you were trying to use everything IE A/C, Alde, Microwave? You mentioned Victron Battery Monitor?

30 Amps should be more than plenty to power everything in a TAB at the same time. You mentioned induction cook top though and I have no idea how many watts of power that takes. 

Sorry, since we boondock 95% of the time, I don't understand why in the heat of the summer there is a need to have the Alde on the 2KW setting. For me the solution would be simple, turn the Alde off if I want to use the A/C, Microwave, and an induction cook top at the same time. Plus, we rarely even use the microwave or the gas cooktop inside our 2020 400 BDL. 

For reference I have attached a diagram showing the difference between 30 Amp and 50 Amp service. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2021
    When I think 50 Amp service dryer units, ovens, etc. come to mind.  That is basically why they install 50A service in the much larger motor coach units.  Unless you plan to install one of the above appliances you shouldn’t need to consider 50A service and 240V power as it’s overkill.  Good question however and anything can be done these days but it also limits your options when camping as not every campground is equipped with 50A hook-ups and another adapter would be required.  It would require a lot of unnecessary work and expense to accomplish something your 30A hook-up should easily accommodate.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    To answer your specific question, you are correct with regard to the three things that would need to be changed.

Since 50A power for RVs is 240V, there are two aspects to consider. First, your power cord, trailer receptacle, and wiring leading to the main breaker would need to be upgraded to a heavier gauge capable of carrying 50A. Second, your AC distribution panel would need to be designed for 240V, with two hot legs controlled by a 50A dual-pole breaker. (I suspect that would mean a whole new power center, and I have no idea if a 50A power center would fit in the current space.) Individual 120V branch circuits (15 or 20A) should be able to remain as is.

Why you would want to do this--or whether there is much to gain from it--is another matter, but that's your business.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Just a thought that came up.  Some time ago, I was using the out side recpt. for the induction cook top and tripped the circuit breaker.  Probably had the A/C going as it was summer and maybe the wife used the Microwave.  We have yet to use the propane cook top as don't like the spatter etc inside with it.  The Microwave or induction cook top are our primary cooking /reheat tools.  Sometimes the toaster oven or George Foreman grill comes into play.  Not fancy cooks, just heat what we brought and eat.  Sometimes I like to look "outside the box"  for options.

thanks for the reply's
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    @atlasb I learned about how this camper is wired when I swapped out my power center for the Progressive Dynamics 4135 version with lithium charging.  There are 2 - 15A circuits in these campers which feed the outlets.  The first 15A breaker feeds the GFCI outlet on the passenger side bench seat and also the kitchen outlet, it also feeds the converter charger board as well which can consume 600W on it's own.  The next 15A circuit feeds the rear outlet and the other outside GFCI outlet.  Most single burner induction cooktops consume 1800W on the highest setting.  So if you use the kitchen outlet with the induction cooktop and you need to also have something else plugged in your better off using the rear outlet or the outside outlet.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    Just the weight of the heavier 50 amp cord would turn me off. Try to keep my trailer light. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Most campgrounds I stay at also have a 20Amp plug at the pole in addition to 30 Amp. We usually plug our outside kitchen stuff (induction stovetop/toaster oven) directly to the power pole with a heavy extension cord with a triple tap on the end.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL