Options

Gray water flush valve

We are having trouble opening gray water flush valve on our 2021 320S Tab. We looked under the bottom panel and the control rod for the valve appears to be bent around to the opposite side of the trailer. Is it supposed to be like that? The pull handle is also stuck even after lubrication. We purchased this slightly used Tab from folks who never used the water or facilities. We’ve own 2 Tabs before and never had this problem. Any suggestions, the gray tank is 2/3rds full and we currently can’t empty it. 

Comments

• Options
    jncallenjncallen Member Posts: 4
    I addition it appears the valve looks to be installed upside down🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @jncallen, can you post a photo of the gate valve handle?

If the rod connected to the handle is bent, I can see how that might make it difficult to open, but it may still be possible to get it open, depending on what it looks like.  You may just need to use brute force to get the valve handle and rod to pull outward.

Also, why do you suspect it is installed "upside down?"  I can't think of how that could happen, because I believe the gate valve will operate the same way regardless of how it is attached to the drain tube.  (I could be wrong, because maybe there is only one way to orient it, but if that is true, I can't see how it could be installed any other way.)

On a positive note, thank goodness it is the "gray" water gate valve that is the problem.  Although I have never personally had to change a holding tank gate valve, it is fairly easy to do if you (or someone who can help you out with the repair) are reasonably handy with completing minor repairs.  If you do have to replace the valve, the water in the tank will obviously drain when you remove the valve, but at least you won't have to deal with sewage pouring out and ruining your whole day.  I hope it all works out well for you.  (Greg)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    Can you post a photo of the control rod under the panel?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    It’s a very easy in and out with the changeout. Just unloosen the screws and let the water empty out into a grassy area and replace the valve. It’s just a gate and you can purchase a valve at any nearby RV supply store. Thank God it wasn’t your black tank valve! 🥴
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    Yes.  Thankfully a 2021 with a cassette toilet!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jncallen said:
    We are having trouble opening gray water flush valve on our 2021 320S Tab. We looked under the bottom panel and the control rod for the valve appears to be bent around to the opposite side of the trailer. Is it supposed to be like that? The pull handle is also stuck even after lubrication. We purchased this slightly used Tab from folks who never used the water or facilities. We’ve own 2 Tabs before and never had this problem. Any suggestions, the gray tank is 2/3rds full and we currently can’t empty it. 

• Options
    PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    May we see a picture?
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2021
    @jncallen - No photo came in with your last posting
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options

More background:  the 2021 320 is designed differently from previous models. The drain valve is no longer located on the left side trailer frame near the outlet.  It is in the center, underside of the trailer, inside of the corrugated plastic “belly cover”.  It is not reachable without removing the panel, which requires crawling under the trailer and removing a couple dozen or so sheet metal screws.  I did this yesterday and looked inside the panel to see the valve oriented toward the right (door) side of the trailer instead of the outlet side of the trailer where the pull handle is located.  Therefore it’s wrongly installed.  The rod is bent 180 degrees around toward the pull handle, which is preposterous.  Truth can be stranger than fiction. It was built this way by NuCamp, and there is no way it will ever work.  NuCamp service people refuse to answer my calls on this gross defect, which came from them.  The valve will likely need to be replaced if I can reach it.  Or pay to have the dealer do it, which is outrageous.  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
     The gray water valve on my 2021 T@B 320S is located behind the driver’s side tire, in front of the rear stabilizer. It is placed back a bit further away from the side than I prefer, so I did put a 4” extension on it to bring it closer to the side of my T@B.  

@jncallen, is your gray water valve as I described? 

It is a “gray area” as you have purchased a used unit. While I sympathize with you, the factory warranty is only for the original owner. The original owner may have performed an ill-advised repair and not disclosed the repair to you in the sale—just a thought, not an accusation. 

But getting back to fixing this, pictures would help us to help you so you can be on your way to camping. While the previous owner may have changed the gray tubing and gate valve, the tubing can be extended near the edge of the T@B. If your abilities fo not include plumbing (I hate plumbing!), you will need to get an appointment with an RV dealer, preferably a T@B dealer, to get this repaired.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I agree with Verna, I have the same year / model and it works fine. I have attached a photo of the area - is yours similar?

Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,700
    This binding of the gray tank valve handle is being reported over and over on the new trailers over on the FB page.
    Can anyone explain what the problem might be?  Corrosion around the nut holding the shaft of the handle?  Without being able to see any "moving parts", it is hard to tell what might be the problem.  Owners cannot seem to be able to get any lubrication in through the nut and little gasket.  This has been made...way too hard to operate.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Try backing off the nut, which holds the gasket in.  Tightening it appears to compress the gasket, and if set too tight, it could cause the binding or hard to pull issue.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,700
    Thanks...how much of an adjustment do you think the nut can take?

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    I would try a 1/4 turn, or less, at a time.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.