generator for 2018 T@B 400

Anybody having success with running the Cool cat with a Honda 2200?  or the Westinghouse 2500?  I really don't want to do the soft start.
2018 T@B400 & 2018 F-150

Comments

• Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    There are lots of posts about this already, to use these lower wattage generators you will have to use a soft start. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I have a Honda 2200i with Genconnex propane conversion. It will start and run CoolCat at 3000 feet elevation, however a bit of struggle to get compressor started. I have a soft start on order to help the situation, it just doesn't seem good to be working the compressor and generator basically in a brown out situation.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    @FrankandSally
    Take a look at this thread if you haven't already. All signs point to needing a soft-start for the 2K+ class of generators.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/13834/soft-start-installation

I just installed one, and it is actually not hard once you understand the wiring - which is all plug and play and reversible if it doesn't work out. The most difficult part is simply physical access, as the wiring panel on the Coolcat is in a tight corner under the front drivers side dinette bench.
    I'm still doing my 5 hour generator break-in, so I haven't tried running the Coolcat from the Champion 2500 on propane yet, but the compressor does ease on more quietly with the softstart installed, so I'm hoping it works well with the Champion 2500.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • FrankandCarolynFrankandCarolyn Member Posts: 9
    Hey Chris Fix - thanks.  By the way Just be careful with your GCVW with the Ridgeline.  You have the 9 speed trans, so probably be fine.  But my 2017 Ridgeline with the 6 speed developed trans overheat issues around 60K miles. Multiple times before I bought an F-150.  I eventually figured that the 2 of us, our regular gear, and the tab 400 added up to 9000 lbs.
    2018 T@B400 & 2018 F-150
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    Hey Chris Fix - thanks.  By the way Just be careful with your GCVW with the Ridgeline.  You have the 9 speed trans, so probably be fine.  But my 2017 Ridgeline with the 6 speed developed trans overheat issues around 60K miles. Multiple times before I bought an F-150.  I eventually figured that the 2 of us, our regular gear, and the tab 400 added up to 9000 lbs.
    Thanks but I think I'm all good in that department. The GCVW rating for my Ridgeline is 9,987lbs. I'm not anywhere near that in my setup.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller