Options

Anderson Leveler - Near Miss

FiddlinmikeFiddlinmike Member Posts: 17
Hey Everyone.  I wanted to share a boneheaded mistake for others who might be new to using the Anderson leveler - which is an awesome tool when used properly!

You never know what your campsite is going to require.  Sometimes you’ll need to back onto the leveler, sometimes you’ll be able to pull on to it.  Sometimes it’s driver’s side, sometimes it’s passenger.  

For a recent setup, I placed the leveler on the passenger side and pulled my 320 forward to level.  All was well.  The problem came when it was time to leave the site.  I forgot to raise the camper’s step prior to backing off the Anderson.  As you back off the device, it will naturally raise on one end.  It’s long enough to catch the corner of your step and bend it.  My wife screamed at me as she saw the step deflecting and I stopped before it went too far.  The step bent maybe 3 inches laterally, enough to restrict it from closing but not enough that we couldn’t bend it back and continue using it.  

This is not a complaint against the Anderson Leveler - I love it.  I’m just hoping to warn others to be careful with the step!

Here’s a staged photo if you’re having a hard time following….

2019 Tab 320S towing with 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition (Turbo) - Abingdon, Virginia

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    When we first used the Andersen, we would drive forward onto them.  Now we backup onto them.  It makes departure much easier.  You may also find that while on the Andersen, in preparation for hitching up to leave, your coupler will not close.  If that happens, make sure your chains are on, pull forward off the leveler, then close the coupler.  The first time it happened to us as newbies, it was a puzzling.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    FiddlinmikeFiddlinmike Member Posts: 17
    Great tip on the coupler, and leaving the chains on.  We had some unexpected movement once when we disconnected after leveling - not much but a surprise.
    2019 Tab 320S towing with 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition (Turbo) - Abingdon, Virginia
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Great reminder, @Fiddlinmike.  Some have recommended pulling forward onto it without any mention of the step problem.  We only back onto it.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 344
    ... and for comic relief,  after I figured out to back onto the leveler on the step side,  I managed to back up AND OVER the leveler- it shot up between the tire and the step.   No damage done,  but solidly on my list of close calls/ lucky breaks. Last season,  so pretty much over the embarrassment.

Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Good tip and no doubt we could assemble a good book of tips and stories from the close calls and near misses encountered.   I met a young lady at one of my first rally’s attended and she recalled a near fatal accident with her new smaller teardrop trailer.  She had backed into a campsite, removed the safety chains, jacked the trailer up off the hitch ball (forgot to install her wheel chocks) and the trailer suddenly started heading downhill, toward a cliff.  She hung onto the trailer hitch, it was pulling her closer to the cliff edge and by luck the trailer came to a stop on a short tree stump.  😳
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ