Options

Dead Battery Impacting Other Devices

2016 T@B - I did a search and didn't see answers for this topic 

1. I was told that a dead battery could eventually impact other devices in the T@B. I must have waited too long because now my brake controller is being inconsistent (display flickers "N.C" not connected) and my frig doesn't work.  I've got a Prodigy RV brake controller.  I'm not sure if the trailer battery impacts it or not.  I've since replaced my battery and noticed a few "N.C." display flickers on the short drive to storage.  Have I ruined my brake controller and refrigerator forever?

2. Can I use a 110 adapter and connect my 30 amp power cord to the plug in my storage facility instead of a trickle charger?  Will the 110 connection damage anything?  I would turn off my battery connect switch so smoke/carbon monoxide detector and radio is turned off.  Would a trickle charger be better?  

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Welcome @NMcCulloch.  I can only comment on your second question. The short answer is "yes."

This is how most owners plug in their campers at home (where RV-specific outlets are uncommon) and also in campgrounds that offer only 20 amp service. When the camper is plugged in, the built-in battery charger will serve the same purpose as your trickle charger.

The T@B operates on 120 volts regardless of whether you are plugged into a special 30A RV outlet or a "regular" outlet (with the help of an adapter). The only difference is the "regular" outlet will be limited to 15A or 20A, so you may not have enough power to run your heat, air conditioning, refrigerator, and espresso machine at the same time.  ;-)    
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    FiddlinmikeFiddlinmike Member Posts: 17
    @ScottG is right about question 2, and I’ll take a stab at question 1.

I have the Prodigy brake control system and I’m pretty sure it’s powered through your 7-pin connector’s 12v line from the tow vehicle - not related to your TAB battery.  If you are getting the n.c. display it’s likely because you don’t have a great connection through the 7-pin connector or somewhere else along the 12V line in your tow vehicle.  I had a problem initially with the 12V line’s fuse near the tow vehicle battery.  I was constantly losing connection until I put a slightly larger fuse in the line. I haven’t had a problem since.  If you’re getting intermittent .c and n.c., I suspect a weak/bad connection from your tow vehicle battery to the TAB along or in the 7-pin connector.  

Bottom line, I don’t think your dead TAB battery had any effect on your Prodigy system.
    2019 Tab 320S towing with 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition (Turbo) - Abingdon, Virginia
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    NMcCulloch said:
    2. Can I use a 110 adapter and connect my 30 amp power cord to the plug in my storage facility instead of a trickle charger?  Will the 110 connection damage anything?  I would turn off my battery connect switch so smoke/carbon monoxide detector and radio is turned off.
    An additional detail to @ScottG 's answer to question 2
    When plugged into 'shore power' be it campground 30A or home/storage 20A to allow the T@B Power Center to charge the battery the Battery Cut-Off Switch must be set to "On" .

Once the Power Center senses the battery is fully charged it will automatically go into a 'trickle charge'.

NMcCulloch said:
    1.  . . . my brake controller is being inconsistent (display flickers "N.C" not connected)
    . . . replaced my battery and noticed a few "N.C." display flickers on the short drive to storage.
    As @Fiddlinmike noted your n.c. issue is most likely an electrical contact problem.  Best initial approach to resolving is to make sure your 7-pin connectors on Tow Vehicle [TV] and Trailer are clean, dry, and firmly seated together when connected.  The TV 7-pin should have a cover that includes / acts as a lock to help keep the trailer 7-pin firmly attached.

Prodigy P2 web-site:

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2021
    I doubt your refrigerator is damaged and if you have the 3-way frig you can plug the trailer into shore power at home and see how it performs there.  The thing about the 3-way frig is that it is an energy hog and running it off the trailer battery will result in a quickly drained battery.  I always ran my 3-way either off of 110 volts A/C or on propane as it was much more efficient.  Running electrical components on low voltage can over time have adverse effects, but I’d say that if anything, components running inside the trailer will have more of an adverse effect on the battery over time if you run it down time and time again below 50% (12 volts DC and below).  

I agree with the other members suggestions of doing a little trouble-shooting and checking connections on the brake controller.  I had a Prodigy controller too, nice units!  I like to start at the power source and work my way back to the trailer.  Check connections, look for any corrosion and loose connectors and clean up and repair any potential problems you find.  I have found water inside taped connections and loose wires in improperly crimped sleeves while ferreting out electrical problems.  Ground connections are also the culprits many times too as a bad or improperly installed ground wire will have you pulling your hair out.  Other than that the Prodigy controller is a very convenient and easy to use unit.  

Best of luck to you!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    NMcCullochNMcCulloch Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone for the help!  Nancy