Options

New Fresh Water Fill

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I broke the door on my fresh water fill last year when my heavy water jug slipped. I found the original fill to be a pain so I went with a different style that will work better for filling, I think. I started the job a while back, but had a chance to finish it and clean up the caulk, today.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    That looks to be same one I had on my class C, I like it more than the T@B one.  The install looks very well done, congrats.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Looks great, Jenn. Where did you get it, if you don't mine me asking.?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Verna -three guesses, and the first two don't count. Amazon, of course. :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yeah, that was a "duh" question.....  Thanks
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Good job - mine's getting a little loose, may have to do something like this.
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    I like this enhancement!  I find it cumbersome to fill the fresh water tank.  When I use a hose, water still leaks out the bottom of the door.  I hate to waste!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    Beth - You can get a thingy - has a long, clear plastic tube on one end and a hose fitting on the other with an on/off valve - you stick that done in the fill tube. No spillage/leakage until the tank is full. Bought mine at an RV place a few miles SE of our dealer. They know the place.
  • Options
    I just got one of those "thingy's" today from Amazon.  The hose is about 12" long.  I know I'll be using it the next 3 weeks.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Is this the "thingy" of which you all speak?

• Options
  • Options
    I just put it in my cart this AM. :)

• Options
  • Options
    I made one out of an old hose, just cut what ever length you need from the end with the proper fitting.

I also made one from tubing that attaches to the water jugs I carry.  

See, I will spend  $500 on a cover but not $12 on a fill thingy :blush: 

• Options
    $4.25 from Amazon.

• Options
    moniraqmoniraq Member Posts: 46
    jkjenn said:
    $4.25 from Amazon.
    Love me some Amazon.
    Monica (aka GlobeDiva)
    2014 T@b Max "Q"
    TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Jenn, What is that "thingie" called.  My search was unproductive and I really need to spend some more money for T@B stuff.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Thank you, Jenn
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    Patti - A big red plastic funnel with a long neck.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Jenn,
    On your install of the freshwater fill fitting, was the water fill tubing and the overflow tubing, standard size to fit on this fitting?  Or did you have to make modifications of the tubing to fit?  Was there enough tubing to stretch out and reattach to the new fitting? Any modifications to the hole where the fitting inserts and did you seal the fitting in with a clear silicone caulk and use the stock screws from the old fitting?  Thanks for any information, as the part has been ordered.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff, I has to drill 2 new holes, but that was easy. The existing tubing slid right into the new fitting.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Jkj: Did you have any trouble getting the old one off of the tubing and the new one on? When you removed the screws were you able to pull it far enough to get a hold on the tubing? I assume there are clamps on the back.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I don't remember clamps, I think there was plumber's tape and I sued the same thing, but I honestly do not remember. There was difficulty, whatsoever removing the old one. The tubing is more like PVC pipe, it I remember correctly, so it does not recoil.  I remember thinking that I might want to put a clamp on it, but did not, in the end do it. I might go back and do that at some point, when I can get more than 30 minutes without rain to do projects. :)

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    ............ I might go back and do that at some point, when I can get more than 30 minutes without rain to do projects. :)
    Rain?

What is that of which you speak?
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    jkjenn said:
    Jeff, I has to drill 2 new holes, but that was easy. The existing tubing slid right into the new fitting.
    My understanding is that there is a vent connected to the water fill port. Did your new and improved (and very professional-looking installation) connect to that?

The door of my water fill port came off the first day I had the T@bitha. It just popped back on and I ordered the "thingie" from Amazon (way better than funnel), but still would get water dribbling down that levered door on the original port. I love your mod!
    All water fill fittings will have a vent. My T@b (and I believe all) do not actually connect the fill to the vent. SO, if you spill water into the vent, it goes inside of the T@b. That was another reason to switch to this type of fill - it reduces the likelihood of spilling.

• Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    Jenn,
    Looks great on your T@B.  We have this on our current travel trailer.  Wonder if we could order it this way from the factory.  Would prefer this over the one they normally use, just seems more durable.
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    edited July 2015
    Maybe I pulled too hard but I pulled the entire fill trough out of the unit awhile back.  I pushed it back in but I don't like the design at all.  I think I'll go with the Amazon fill with a cap.   It looks neater and more sanitary.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We wanted to replace original filler spout with one shown earlier.  I thought it would be the work of a moment but...  First I carefully took off the old one.  It took a while.  Then, I saw that the original nipple end was longer than the replacement.  Also, the camper hose didn't reach the new fitting.  Off the store.  The air line fitting needed extra parts and also a little extra hose material.  I searched the local stores but got it at a camping place.  The hardest part was tightening up the hose clamps that were in effect, inside the camper.  Finally, got er done...
    The first pic is the original.  The second is the finished version.  My last one shows the two fillers together, a nipple connection and a hose ection I cut a piece from..  

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Here is what there is to work with inside...

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    What is the main reason for changing this to a screw on cap as  opposed to the original?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun