Options

insurance coverage on trailer

rawsondavisrawsondavis Member Posts: 2
edited April 2022 in Trailer & Towing
I have just obtained coverage for our 2021 TAB 320 S Boondock that is just come off the assembly line.  Our unit base price was 29,000 with an additional $800 for a back up cam and a vent cover.  When I talked to my agent and provided her the vin number, she said that it would be insuranced for the Base MSRP price of $23,000.  I said that was not acceptable.  She finally added $5000 of additional equipment for a total insured amount $28,093.  What is going on?

Comments

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    At first blush, I'd say find another agent or carrier. My policy coverage is for full replace with new, untitled RV of the same make and model at or above my original purchase price. I've also added Personal Property coverage to include the ususal and standard equipment and household goods stored in the RV. 

Shop around. Don't know if you're a member of a certain, well-known, nationally recognized camping and RV organization but after shopping around I found them to be very competitive and "Good" to work with. 

Best of luck...  
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @rawsondavis - check out Progressive.  They have one of the best RV policies available.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    Mine is for full list replacement cost which is actually more than I paid for it. Find a better insurance company.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    For those of you with "full replacement" policies, who is your insurer.

@Sharon_is_SAM, I have considered switching to Progressive (from Allstate.)  What makes Progressive best?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Can’t remember it all, but I reviewed a few notes.  I compared Progressive to State Farm.  The difference in liability coverage is that with SF, coverage occurs only when hooked to the TV.  So, if you forget to chock the wheels and you take out a fellow camper, you won’t be covered.  Total loss replacement/Purchase price is available for 5 years (being new to towing made us very interested in this).  Ability to add on coverage for additional equipment, whereas SF would only cover things that were permanently attached to the TaB.  Considering the cost of portable solar and our other camping gear, this was welcomed.  Progressive also covers Vacation liability.  They offer full-timer insurance, too.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TABNewbiesTABNewbies Member Posts: 90
    Foremost Ins Co - Full replacement. But in MA there are all sorts of insurance links needed related to the TV insurance I am told. Our first year and a new camper, so will shop around again next year.
    2021 T@B 400 BD T@bitha with 2016 Highlander
    Juliet and Andy in Massachusetts
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    State Farm here. Full replacement coverage. Contents not attached and liability are covered by homeowners (also SF).
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    We insure everything with Amica, and we didn't have any problems getting the right insured amount.
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 130
    I also have full replacement value for 5 years thru Foremost as underwritten by my Farmers Ins agent, as well as a personal property rider for accessories/contents and coverage for roadside assistance, towing and alternative lodging/transportation if needed.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    narniaorwhatnarniaorwhat Member Posts: 15
    @rawsondavis I’m in the insurance industry and can tell you that your agent  doesn’t know what they are talking about. To insurance a trailer you can choose between ACV (actual cash value) coverage, which means you will get something along the lines of what other trailers are going for around your area, total replacement coverage is to get you in the exact one that’s currently for sale or a year newer, stated amount coverage of 25k for example means if your trailer value comes at 27k the most they can pay is 25k, if the value comes in at 22k insurance will go with the lower 22k, last coverage is tricky but it’s called agreed amount where you have to get an appraisal of the value of your trailer, really only meant for conversion trailers, buses and vans so if it totals they would pay you the agreed amount, nothing more and nothing less. Hope that helps